Color Variation
I've had this guitar for nearly five years (original owner), and it's one of my favorites. It has an Adi top with beautifully straight, narrow grain, and it sounds amazing. The gain gets a little more narrow towards the outer edges of the lower bout, and the color also hasn't darkened like the rest of the guitar (which is very consistent otherwise), which plays on my OCD a little bit, haha.

Do you think this is just naturally occurring color variation in the wood? Or could it be something with how the guitar was finished? I'm assuming the former, but wanted to get some other opinions. I'm 99% sure it's been like this since I got it, but obviously becoming more visible over time, as the top color darkens.

[Image: VZi1aeO.jpg]

[Image: y6AJ4q0.jpg]

[Image: r0y1g64.jpg]

[Image: Nq951tT.jpg]
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
To my eye that coloration change almost perfectly follows the natural grain line.  Which says "natural" to me.  However it works out, I don't think that has anything to do with the production itself.
Pura Vida likes this post
I have no clue as to why it would do that, but the book matching looks kind of cool. Maybe just variations in the wood of the original piece(?) Let us know what you find out.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Thanks.  I've always assumed it's natural too.  It just messes with my OCD b/c both the lighter color of the outside ends and the darker color of the main body are so consistent, making this a rather perfect imperfection.  And also, most other guitar streaks I've experienced tend to be darker, not lighter, so this is just really unique.

BTW, this is my 2017 E40D, which is my #1 guitar, so it has no impact on my satisfaction.  In fact, I've learned to embrace the natural features of tone woods on my guitars... everything from the tops, backs, sides, necks, fretboards, and bridges.
My bet would be that this is just a natural 'imperfection' in the wood, especially since it's on both sides of the guitar and follows the grain line. As you note, it has no effect on the tone of the guitar, so just embrace the uniqueness!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
It looks natural to me as well If it really bothers you you might try uv.    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru...p?t=616742
Brian you need to move that guitar as soon as possible. Your guitar top of Adirondack Spruce has come down with a rare type of nonsegmental vitiligo that affects very few picea rubens and there really is no cure. Also it could spread to your other guitars so you should quarantine it asap. Big Grin
sleigh and Pura Vida like this post
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
SB Tom, haha!  I wouldn't want to infect anyone else's guitars, so I better hang onto this one.  Wink
sleigh likes this post
I was referring to your own collection, especially if you're going to be adding another model.
2015 E20 OM SB Eastman
2021 000-15 SM Martin
2016 00-18 Martin
2015 E10 00 Eastman
My E10D has got the same affliction.  The top has silk/bear claw down on the edges. It was the standard light colored Adirondack built in 2019.  Over the 3 years it’s changed to a golden hue color (not the Sitka pumpkin). I had to really get it in the white light to show the natural patterns for the pictures.  I will include picture showing the gold color at the end. I see the same edge line as yours with mine.  It was definitively less dramatic when I got it.  BTW it sounds Spectacular.
Pura Vida, sleigh, TomC like this post

Attached Files

Eastman E20D
Eastman E10D
Collings D2HG