Color Variation
Thanks for sharing those photos.  That's a great looking guitar (I do love a bearclaw), and I'm not surprised that it sounds spectacular.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Prob a 4 piece top!
( just kidding)
It can’t be in the nitro cause both sides are the same
Maybe it’s a little piece of sapwood on the edge that reacts to the finish or the light differently.
I will check the wood database site and see if the sapwood on spruce is clearly demarcated or not.
I have seen many guitars with different colored section in their tops.
Sometimes it’s “compression wood”
Sometimes it really is a 4 piece top
My 2016 E40D is pretty even. .
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ
Laravie
1991 Larivee C-09
Taylor
2000 810B LOTF
2000 410MACE LOTF
2000 310kce LOTF

11 Alvarez Yairi

Many many others

Thanks.  I appreciate everyone's input, and as I mentioned on the AGF thread, after five years, it's good to get some affirmation of what I've been thinking.  Sometimes, it's just nice to get another set of eyes on things.

REHII, here are photos of my 2016 and 2017 E40Ds.  The 2016 has just a slight color variation near the center of the lower bout, where the book-matched pieces meet, plus a root shadow that runs underneath the pickguard (you can see it sticking out, just below the guard.  It's very visible on the treble side, but faint to non-existent on the bass side.

2016:
[Image: HZRazyD.jpg]

2017:
[Image: cHEkLBj.jpg]

Both E40Ds:
[Image: QR6yObn.jpg]

[Image: 12PJ0cK.jpg]
sleigh likes this post
My E10D with a red spruce (Adi) top has also been going more 'golden brown' over the years. It's a lovely color now, with very noticeable striping (and the mahogany's lovely, too). The tone has become even more impressive with age as well. My favorite guitar!

[Image: vUoYpkc.jpg]
Pura Vida, AlanSam, Guzzi Fan, TomC like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Steve, the color on your E10D is great.  Those Red Spruce "winter lines" are really popping.  I think the striping is evening out, as the color deepens.  Glad it's your favorite.  I have three Mahogany dreads: E6 (standard), E6 (TC Alpine), and E10 (standard).  They're all so different, so my favorite changes with the day.
sleigh likes this post
My 2016 E40D is very even colored across the top. But with great big wide 1/4 lines. Way to big for my taste.
What BrandonKnapps top looks like is more to my taste.
I checked and the sapwood on all spruce species is not clearly demarcated from the heartwood.
I have a Taylor 810B that has an Engelmann top that has a much lighter section at the center seam of the top.
Prob sapwood.
I do know that Engelmann trees tend to be on the small side, especially compared to the giants found in Sitka spruce.
I’m gussing Red spruce trees may be on the small side too.
By the way, me E40D with the wide lines in the top that I wish were tighter, well it’s prob just about the best sounding guitar own! So much for looks!!
sleigh likes this post
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15
1965 J-50 ADJ
Laravie
1991 Larivee C-09
Taylor
2000 810B LOTF
2000 410MACE LOTF
2000 310kce LOTF

11 Alvarez Yairi

Many many others

Agree... I've learned to love the unique character in these guitars.  The visual traits are as unique as their voices, which is a big reason why I can't seem to part with any of them (and thankfully, don't have a pressing need to sell any of them, right now).  The E40D that inspired this thread is my favorite dread to play, but my E20D has a slightly wider grain and is a canon, so you never know.
sleigh likes this post
Thought it a good spot to give my E10SS-TC Ltd a bit of show time  Tongue

I like how this Red Spruce has a bronze shimmer to it, depending how the light hits the Top. The Grain pattern looks uniform and the lines aren't too wide. Mind I like unique looking Guitar tops. This is my first Adi Top Guitar. Visually I prefer Sitka, especially Engelmann Spruce. But sound wise, this Slope is something else. It could well be my only Guitar. That versatile. Still, my E8OM (sitka/RW) has that warm punch that embraces you, very happy with my Eastman duo. 

I am happy the Thermo Cure process didn't darken the Wood too much. Don't like those overly "toasted" looking Tops. But if they sound great, it wouldn't stop me buying one  Cool.  Very curious how these Thermo Cured models will age. Does the wood still mature in looks and sound over time? Let's find out. 

cheers from Switzerland. 
Mitch

[Image: lxICUew.jpg]

[Image: RwA44NE.jpg]

[Image: 29dsuSF.jpg]

[Image: SYjHXnE.jpg]
Pura Vida, Ritchie, sleigh like this post
Yes - looking good Mitch!
Mitch and sleigh like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Mitch -- good-looking E10SS-TC!
Mitch likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter