Acoustic Production
Eastman guitars are made with a tremendous amount of care and labor.  This can be a good place to discuss what we know (or think we know!), as well as post some questions here.  Perhaps we can convince someone from Eastman to join our new group and provide some insight here.

Let's start with the 2011 Eastman factor video.

Earlier this spring, I attended an Eastman store event, hosted by Steve Bernstein.  He was tremendously informative, confirming much of what we already knew.  Namely, that Eastman guitars are truly hand-made with second and third degree luthiers in their factories.  Their production volume is about 10k for ALL stringed instruments, so he agreed that my estimate of 3.5-4k for acoustic guitars is probably about right.

In discussing this with Steve (and others with some insight), their biggest gate to growth is training skilled luthiers.  They require a five year apprenticeship before they even let someone work on a guitar, so despite having expanded their factory floor, the output volume will take several years to ramp up.  They have 150-200 employees working in production, but obviously not everyone is working on acoustic guitars.

And despite what nay-sayers think, it's truly old school over there... there is no machinery, and up until 1-2 years ago, they were even hand-carving the Eastman name onto their headstocks!  The abalone in their guitars is actually hand-set abalone and not Abalam (which isn't cheaper, but it is easier to apply).  And when I asked Eastman how many hours it takes to make one acoustic guitar, they told me 60-80 hours of labor (and a couple of months end-to-end total), which is why they're only able to output 10-12 guitars per day.

Further, on the "40" series guitars, only a select few touch these guitars.  When they tap tune the "40" tops, there's literally one guy who they consider a master of this process, which is is why they make so few of them.  He's in the process of training a handful of others, but it's like training to be a Jedi... it's more of a lifetime skill, not something where someone completes a course and gets certified.

This is still a boutique level of production.  When I mentioned to Steve that I just bought an E40-OM, he got excited and replied: "I played your guitar, when it arrived into their Pomona offices."  They had a hard time letting it go and spent nearly a month fine tuning it before they released it to the online dealer, who ultimately sold it to me.  At the time, it was only the second E40-OM in the country with the first being the one they launched at NAMM.

I pelted Steve with questions for about two hours, and he was enthusiastic to share his insights.  Some of these are above (augmented with additional discussions with emailing Eastman and asking some others with inside knowledge).  Even he was amazed and shared the story of meeting their main luthier... he showed him a mandolin, and the luthier immediately responded, saying he actually worked on that particular mandolin.  And then he turned it over to show Steve an area that gave him some particular trouble with carving.

Assuming it's not sales BS, these insights are really remarkable.  I'm probably forgetting half of what we discussed, but but as I remember more, I'll post it here.  Apologies for the long post, but it was a valuable learning experience and got insight to their rather secretive production details.

Another (long) video, which shows an Eastman luthier creating a rosette inlay.  I appreciate this video because it shows the amount of skill and labor involved, and it also supports that these luthiers are artists, not just some sweatshop factory employees, cranking out product.

Hanns likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Quote:In discussing this with Steve (and others with some insight), their biggest gate to growth is training skilled luthiers.  They require a five year apprenticeship before they even let someone work on a guitar, so despite having expanded their factory floor, the output volume will take several years to ramp up.  They have 150-200 employees working in production, but obviously not everyone is working on acoustic guitars.

PV - truly a fascinating post, appreciate the insight.  I found the information above particularly interesting.  They require five years before working on production guitars, wow.  I think the quality we see is a result of their processes.

That is also interesting to learn that the Eastman 'Jedi master' (he he) is hand tap tuning the 40 series... makes me want a 40 series all the more.  

Thanks again for sharing this background, I suspect others will find it of interest.
Wow thanks for the insight!! Learned a lot about Eastman Just by watching and reading this. Hands down one of the the best acoustic guitars ever played. And the only guitar i play everyday No matter what !!
I love watching the videos on how guitars are made. Eastman is a pretty special company. Thanks for the post. Learned a lot.
Eastman E1SS-CLA-LTD
Northwood R70-000 2019
Martin D-18 2016
Eastman E20SS 2015
Glad everyone's enjoying the videos --- I enjoy them too. I find it amazing to see all the work that goes into one instrument.

Fun fact: Eastman's abalone is actual, hand-set abalone, not Abalam, which is an abalone laminate that most companies are using now. Abalam isn't necessarily cheaper, but it's much easier to work with, since you can cut and place a layer in all at once. But the actual hand-set abalone has more depth and shimmer to it (think 3-D vs. 2-D).
(09-26-2017, 04:20 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Glad everyone's enjoying the videos --- I enjoy them too.  I find it amazing to see all the work that goes into one instrument.

Fun fact: Eastman's abalone is actual, hand-set abalone, not Abalam, which is an abalone laminate that most companies are using now.  Abalam isn't necessarily cheaper, but it's much easier to work with, since you can cut and place a layer in all at once.  But the actual hand-set abalone has more depth and shimmer to it (think 3-D vs. 2-D).

One of the things I've noticed is that all the 40 series guitars have had color matching abalone. It's obviously hand picked and a real attention getter.
Good point about the abalone. It's really stunning.

On a different topic, and this is probably not a surprise, but Eastman does dye their new ebony boards to provide a more uniform appearance. I don't see this changing anytime soon, but as "streaked" ebony becomes more common and socially acceptable, it will be interesting to see if Eastman and other companies discontinue dying their ebony boards.

Usually, any excess dye wipes off (onto my fingers and/or my cleaning cloths). For me, this was minimal on three guitars, but considerable on another. And the bridge on my E20D had a beautiful marbled pattern, so I was really glad they didn't dye it black!
(10-04-2017, 11:50 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: Usually, any excess dye wipes off (onto my fingers and/or my cleaning cloths).  For me, this was minimal on three guitars, but considerable on another.  And the bridge on my E20D had a beautiful marbled pattern, so I was really glad they didn't dye it black

I do believe they put coat of oil based varnish on their fretboards. That could be a reason you can't wipe off dye. My guitar had thin coat I am 100% sure,  and many reports unusual sheen on ebony fretboards. If you ask me this is good practice
Another unique element in Eastman's acoustic guitars is the use of the diamond volute neck joint. Unlike the current Martin production of that neck style, the neck on my Eastman E10D from 2011 had an actual volute joint. The headstock was a separate piece of mahogany that was joined with an actual volute glue joint. These were the standard for early Martin 28 series guitars, and abandoned for the one-piece neck with a strictly decorative volute for production cost reasons, and because many ill-informed guitar geeks were convinced that a one-piece neck was superior.
I love that diamond volute... Something classy about it... 

[Image: 4vUgYWK.jpg]

(From my AC512)