Acoustic Production
Linda Davis, the wood buyer at CFM for many years, retired last year. As she was leaving she said that she was buying enough wood to build 120k guitars/year. No doubt, since they began keeping up with ser#s, they went over 2 million shipped worldwide a couple yrs ago. My guess would be that Taylor is in that range.

LA Guitars probably sells 100 Eastmans/yr.... ?
Wow... over 100k. That is such a huge number to be producing guitars at scale. Glad Eastman is not at those numbers... love the handcrafted nature of Eastman's build process.
Just got around to reading the first post in this great thread. PV, thanks for sharing your experience at the event!
I did a lot of research on my own regarding Eastman so as to be able to respond to "challenges" on another forum. I learned a lot.
I am so very proud of my Eastman's and I hope to own more.
I let my guitar instructor play my E6 OM last night and he was blown away.
I wish I could travel to China and tell those folks what a great job they do building guitars!
Amen brother.  Smile Big Grin Wink
Jamie, it's nice to see you back on this forum.  You and I got to know each other a bit on AGF, as you've been a champion for Eastman guitars there, as well.  Sorry I didn't buy your E20D, but I ended up getting my own.  Smile
(03-15-2018, 08:22 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Jamie, it's nice to see you back on this forum.  You and I got to know each other a bit on AGF, as you've been a champion for Eastman guitars there, as well.  Sorry I didn't buy your E20D, but I ended up getting my own.  Smile
"Champion" is putting it mildly!

Wink
I had a guitar tech tell me the other day that he thought Eastman used epoxy to attach their dovetail necks to the body. Does anyone know if that is true or not? I already have a brand new Martin going back to Nazareth to have it's neck reset. Both of my Eastman's have great action and still have quite a bit of saddle left, but I would hate it if way down the road the neck can't be reset if it ever needed it. I have an old desireable Yamaha FG340 that has no saddle left and way high action, so it is just a decoration now since the necks were epoxied on and no one will touch it and a reset would cost way more than it's worth anyway even if it could be done.
Epoxy, I'm reasonably sure that's not the case but... a dealer or Eastman would have to verify.

A time or two I've heard of a pacrim builder or two using eboxy on bridges, etc.
(02-26-2018, 12:58 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Here's an opportunity to bump an old, but informative post.

Yesterday, on the Eastman Guitar Owners FB page, a dealer said these were actual sales for North America in 2017.

E4OD = 18
E40DSB = 11
E10D-TC = 5
E10D-TC = 5
E10D = <60
E20D = <60
E8OM = 24

That covers half of the Traditional Series and only adds up to ~200 guitars. What do you guys think about this?

I bought two E40D guitars in 2017, so I single-handedly represented 11% of Eastman's North American business, LOL!

I recently emailed Eastman to ask them about early E40D sales.  Specifically, how many E40D were made and shipped in 2016 and 2017 (at least for the Americas via Pomona).  In 2016, they received 11 E40D and shipped 9 of them to dealers.  And he said they shipped about 2x that amount in 2017, which matches exactly with the numbers above.  

While I completely believe the E40D numbers (esp. since Eastman independently validated them), I can't believe how low the other numbers are.  The TC models were the initial limited runs, so the 5 each is correct, and E8OM is kind of a sleeper model (we've talked about that).  But I can't believe that E10D and E20D are only 60 each, even for 2017.  If you read my initial post, the estimate for all acoustic guitars was about 4k, which seems more realistic than 400 guitars.  E10D and E20D would be top sellers, so they have to be missing a zero on those models, right?

The reason for my inquiry on the E40D is b/c my 2016 E40D may be the first production model (after the NAMM demo), which makes it special b/c my 2017 E40OM is the first one of that model, so I may have them both.  I thought about selling the 2016 (since I have and prefer the 2017), but I don't think I can part with it now.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young