ALMOST a New Guitar Day....
I saw a used AC522CE-GB on Dave's Music Store. It looked good and was listed as being in 'excellent' condition. I know some of you here have ordered from Dave's. So I sent an email to them, asking if they'd look the guitar over and let me know if there were any obvious ding/scratches/etc. on it.

This is the reply I received: "Stephen, No noticeable cracks for dings or scratches, pretty much in excellent condition with the original hardshell case. This one is just a used trade that came in." With that assurance, I went ahead and ordered the guitar. It arrived about 45 minutes ago. I opened up the shipping carton, pulled out the guitar case, and opened the latches. As soon as I lifted up the neck, I could feel something wrong: there was a HUGE crack running down the treble side of the neck from the nut (see pic). 
[Image: FIziXSj.jpg]

The guitar is entirely unplayable. I sent email to Dave's, telling them I expect a full refund ASAP, and that they should pay for the return of the guitar as it's not in the condition they claimed it to be in. I'm waiting to hear back from them, and I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into an expensive fiasco....

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Dave's? How's their customer service when someone has a problem?
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Isn’t there a possibility it was busted during shipping?
SasquatchLife likes this post
I don't see how that could be. It was shipped in its case, and there's no obvious damage to the guitar case nor to the packing carton. I have to suspect it was placed in the guitar case already broken and shipped that way. Either way, even if it was a shipping issue, it's still Dave's problem to fix.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Dave's is pretty good in the Customer Service side of things. I have bought two from them and they are very responsive. I am sorry to hear you are going through this. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly. Please let us know how they respond.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I would think Dave's was straight up and most likely it got damaged in shipping and Dave's probably had shipping insurance on the instrument and they'll have to file a claim with shipper. Daves probably has pictures to back their claim. They know how careless shippers are.
Charlieb and TomC -- hope you're both right, and that Dave's takes care of this quickly.
Best, Steve

Dropping the box with the guitar’s back facing down could definitely snap the neck via the neck rest if there is no reinforcement underneath for shipping.
There was wadded paper underneath the guitar's headstock supporting it...

I'm just really bummed and disappointed. I was looking forward to playing this guitar tonight and in the future...
Best, Steve

I'd just call Daves when they're open. I know you're PO'd and Dave's will be also. Just remember niceness will get you a long way with Dave's and they can take up the rest with the shipper. I'm positive Dave's would not sell you a damaged instrument.
TomC and sleigh like this post
Charlieb -- You're right. I also can't imagine a shop deliberately selling someone a seriously damaged instrument, and I'm not accusing Dave's of doing that. I don't know how or when the guitar was damaged; I only know that it was that way when I received it, and I just want the problem to be resolved.
Best, Steve