ALMOST a New Guitar Day....
So I called Dave's Guitar Shop this morning and told them what had happened. They very quickly emailed me a return label; I've put it on the box (which now that I look at it more closely does show signs of mishandling). I've sent Dave's a new email, apologizing for the tone of my first one—written in the heat of having discovered that the new guitar was broken and unplayable; yeah, I know: one should always calm down a bit before writing a complaint letter, and I didn't do that.

So we'll see how quickly they get the refund to me. I'm fairly sure that won't happen until they have the guitar back in their hands.
Guzzi Fan, AlanSam, TomC like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Looks like the guitar was dropped during shipping.  The drop wouldn't necessarily cause any damage to the box or case.  It's the equivalent to a whiplash injury you might suffer from a fairly minor car collision.
Winfielder likes this post
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

Steve - only those who play and revere guitars will understand your rage.
sleigh likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alan -- It wasn't really rage, just severe disappointment. I regret not waiting a bit until the emotions dissipated somewhat and I could think more clearly, but...
AlanSam likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
That sure takes the fun out of a new guitar day.  I'm sorry Steve!

I think it definitely looks like shipping damage.  That's exactly the sort of damage that comes from dropping boxes or standing them up and letting them fall over.  I've seen workers drop/knock over boxes quite a few times when I've been dropping items off, and it's unnerving to see.  Even with cases/padding/etc, I'm surprised that guitars don't get broken more often during shipping.

BTW, the E20D I got from you arrived yesterday.  I opened it up and it looks to be okay with no shipping damage, and just as you described.  (thank you again!)

I had thought of you when I saw that AC522ce listed on Dave's site last week, and then saw it listed as 'sold' Smile  I'm glad Dave's is on it and going to make it right.

I predict this will have a happy ending Smile
sleigh likes this post
A happy ending is my hope also!  Big Grin  I gotta say that the guitar itself was gorgeous, aside from the headstock crack that rendered it unplayable.
Best, Steve

(06-16-2023, 02:23 PM)sleigh Wrote: A happy ending is my hope also!  Big Grin  I gotta say that the guitar itself was gorgeous, aside from the headstock crack that rendered it unplayable.

Sorry for the experience Steve.  What a bummer.  And being human we all have moments we'd like to get back. I'm guessing they understood.
sleigh likes this post
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
THe possible good news, hard to tell from the picture but it looks it could be damage that would be fairly easy, cheap and successful to fix.

Hopefully it doesn't get scrapped without someone evaluating it.
sleigh likes this post
It never moves any faster than it's supposed to go - Taj Mahal

2017 Waterloo WL-14X
2019 Martin 000-18
2021 Eastman E20P
2022 Martin 000-16
The Loar LO-215-SN
Yamaha FG-331

Man, that sure sucks the air out of your NGD experience Steve. Hope things turn out for your good and you end up with an even better AC522.

Don
sleigh likes this post
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Just to follow-up: Dave's Guitar Shop has refunded me for the purchase of the guitar that was broken in transit. Thanks to Dave's for the good customer service! (Though honestly I would rather have the AC522CE-GB here than get a refund... It really was a fine-looking guitar if you ignored the cracked headstock.)
AlanSam, Guzzi Fan, Meathead, TomC, Winfielder like this post
Best, Steve