AC422CE
A little speedy but try Taylor Mullins at Holter Pickguards. He can make any shape you want.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Thank you Tom and Alan.

All of my acoustic guitars are mass-produced, but I enjoy making them at least somewhat unique. So in addition to a B&G compensated saddle and dark gunmetal gray Gotoh tuners (just better machines than the stock Pings), I'm teetering more than ever on the brink of gently pulling off that pickguard.

Who knows? Maybe I can keep the original plastic intact by using a combination of medium heat and naphtha, then working a string of dental floss back and forth underneath it. My concern is that it might end up looking like there used to be a pickguard there, and I'll want to cover it up again - not easily done if I mess up the original piece. If that turns out to be the case, I now know that I can have a replacement made. 

I'll report back here with before/after pics if I decide to proceed.
AlanSam and TomC like this post
Photo 
Ace carries naphtha but I didn't buy any. I could grab a can for $17.99 if there weren't any other options but I found a workaround (hesitant to go with lighter fluid after seeing suggestions that some of them aren't all naphtha anymore). "Err on the side of caution" I always say.

Used a combination of dental floss and an expired credit card to gently separate the guard and adhesive from the soundboard. The guard is intact, but since there's no "farmer's tan" in the wood, I won't need (or want) to re-install it. To me, that dark oddly curved shape looked sort of art nouveau/sci-fi contrasted against the almost white spruce.

Didn't apply any heat BTW. I have no idea what sort of adhesive might've been used in the soundboard bracing.

Mrs. Tinnitus found some water-based Goof Off 2 in the laundry room that I used to remove the residual stickiness.

Preferences vary but I like my 422 a lot better now.

Edit added 4-2-2024: There could be some Pygmalion Effect at play here, but I feel like it sounds better now without the pickguard. Extra loud and clear, without a weird little overtone in the plain strings that I had previously attributed to hearing aids/room acoustics.
sleigh likes this post

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 14.03 KB
Downloads: 18