AC422CE
Edit 6/6

Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies sent my new Gotoh tuning machines immediately when I ordered them. The swap is a drop-in replacement just like the OP stated, and far superior to the originals. Instead of chrome or black, I got "cosmo black" (somewhere between the two) and it looks nice, matches my wedding ring.

Those stock Ping machines (RM1171-CVR 3+3) were merely functional with a rough, stiff, uneven feel. Definitely the low-point of an otherwise excellent quality guitar. It appears that Eastman's spec sheet on the webpage has been updated because (I think) it used to list Gotohs - a far better choice. Anyway, mine came with Pings but now they're Gotohs.

So, thus far, my 422 has received:
- GraphTech Tucq saddle, compensated for unwound 1, 2 and 3 strings (I bend a lot).
- 11-52 gauge strings and lowered the saddle for fast, easy fingering.
- Decent Gotoh tuning machines (GG301-20).
- Strap button in the neck.
- "Permanent" D'addario tuner. Screws in and stays put as part of the guitar, hidden behind the headstock.

Something else I do while the strings are all off is to apply a tiny drop of olive-oil/graphite powder mud in each nut slot (excess wipes off). Just the smallest amount lubes the slot and allows a bent string to be pulled through on long 2-3 fret bends, and then pull itself back into tune (instead of binding or grabbing) when it's released. If you bend a lot, this will help keep your guitars in tune. I've been doing it for 50 years, electric and acoustic.

Note: Petroleum based oils degrade plastic parts, so I use olive/vegetable on all nuts, just in case.

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 56.53 KB
Downloads: 105
.jpg
File size: 35.23 KB
Downloads: 103
.jpg
File size: 22.95 KB
Downloads: 101

I've ordered a set of Sg301's for mine as well as i'm not perfectly happy with the Ping's, having put up with the tightish tuners on my E-20 I decided no more.

Also ordered new bone bridge pins and fitted Extra Lights, some think there too light but they sound fine for playing at home and plugged in there's hardly any difference.

Just needed a small truss rod adjustment for the new strings.
Eastman AC422CE-ae 
Katoh DF69/s
(03-09-2023, 07:57 PM)pL9577 Wrote: I did my first tinkering with my AC422CE besides playing it (which I have done a lot of in my first month or so of ownership).  

The G-tuner was catching, so I replaced the factory Ping RM 1171-CVR tuners with Gotoh SG301-20 tuners.  They were a drop in replacement and feel 100x nicer, even on the strings where the Pings were working fine.  I wanted to spring for the Schallers (M6-90 I think would be the model), but they were too spendy for me at nearly $150.  The gotohs were less than $50 on reverb.

I also discovered a small crack in the bridge, so I lightly sanded and filled the cracks with super glue.  Then I scraped off the excess and sanded the whole bridge to 1500 grit.  Finally, I hit it with some fretboard oil.  I also put in bone bridge pins (cosmetic) and changed the strings to DR Rare phosphor bronzes.  I haven't tuned them to pitch yet as I'm making sure the glue on the bridge has cured, so I'm excited to play it again tomorrow.

My last planned "mod" is to install a strap button on the heel of the neck.  I could have done that today as well, but I chickened out.  I think I'm going to install one on my Fender AG15 first to make sure I have the technique down.  Big Grin  Something about drilling into a $1000+ guitar makes me think twice.

pL9577, did yours come without a pick guard? Or maybe you removed it/had it removed? I've always wondered how mine might sound without a pick guard, or if I'm just stuck with it...
(12-19-2023, 02:32 PM)tinnitus Wrote: pL9577, did yours come without a pick guard? Or maybe you removed it/had it removed? I've always wondered how mine might sound without a pick guard, or if I'm just stuck with it...

It didn't click with me when I purchased my guitar used on Reverb that it didn't have a pickguard.  I realized it after I got it and actually emailed both the seller and then Eastman after having the guitar for a few weeks.  The seller said it didn't come with one (and also that they didn't remove it). 

Eastman confirmed this as well: "Our guitars did not come standard with pickguards until mid to late 2019.  Please work with your local Eastman dealer to get help sourcing a quality guard for the guitar."
tinnitus likes this post
(12-25-2023, 07:34 PM)pL9577 Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 02:32 PM)tinnitus Wrote: pL9577, did yours come without a pick guard? Or maybe you removed it/had it removed? I've always wondered how mine might sound without a pick guard, or if I'm just stuck with it...

It didn't click with me when I purchased my guitar used on Reverb that it didn't have a pickguard.  I realized it after I got it and actually emailed both the seller and then Eastman after having the guitar for a few weeks.  The seller said it didn't come with one (and also that they didn't remove it). 

Eastman confirmed this as well: "Our guitars did not come standard with pickguards until mid to late 2019.  Please work with your local Eastman dealer to get help sourcing a quality guard for the guitar."       

Interesting! Thanks for your informative reply.

I wish mine had come without a pickguard like it seems yours did. I don't like the oddball proprietary shapes manufacturers come up with - probably (I guess) to differentiate their brands from others (weirdo headstocks too). Silly I know, but this pickguard makes me think of a fussy cursive font as opposed to something plain, bold and classic.

I called a very reputable repair shop in Portland, OR (Twelfth Fret) and the fellow who spoke to me seemed fairly optimistic that he could remove mine without marring the surface. He did express concern that there might be a lighter "shadow" in the wood where the pickguard had been. But I doubt that'll be a problem as the whole top looks just as white as when it was brand new 3 years go. I'll ask him if he can remove mine in one piece and put it back on if it's obvious there used to be one.

I don't typically scuff guitars where the pickguard is. So if I get rid of this one but then find that I'm marking it up, I'll replace it with one in a more classic shape, or maybe clear film like I had on a really handsome Larrivée.

Thanks again for your post and the reply. Gives me something to consider.

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 17.34 KB
Downloads: 68

(12-25-2023, 11:41 PM)tinnitus Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 02:32 PM)tinnitus Wrote:  He did express concern that there might be a lighter "shadow" in the wood where the pickguard had been. But I doubt that'll be a problem as the whole top looks just as white as when it was brand new 3 years go. I'll ask him if he can remove mine in one piece and put it back on if it's obvious there used to be one.

I think you will find it's lighter under the pickguard, mine is new and looks whiter than yours.

I've had a guitar develop a shadow from just being constantly left out on a stand, I had fabric on the base and I had to cover 90% of the guitar and leave it in a sunny room for a month or so to even it up.
You could probably use this method if there was a shadow as it works.
tinnitus likes this post
Eastman AC422CE-ae 
Katoh DF69/s
(12-26-2023, 03:03 PM)Westy Wrote:
(12-25-2023, 11:41 PM)tinnitus Wrote:
(12-19-2023, 02:32 PM)tinnitus Wrote:  He did express concern that there might be a lighter "shadow" in the wood where the pickguard had been. But I doubt that'll be a problem as the whole top looks just as white as when it was brand new 3 years go. I'll ask him if he can remove mine in one piece and put it back on if it's obvious there used to be one.

I think you will find it's lighter under the pickguard, mine is new and looks whiter than yours.

I've had a guitar develop a shadow from just being constantly left out on a stand, I had fabric on the base and I had to cover 90% of the guitar and leave it in a sunny room for a month or so to even it up.
You could probably use this method if there was a shadow as it works.  

Thanks for the insight.

I modify everything I own - but it's usually just playability things like nuts, saddles, tuners, etc. Since a funky shaped pickguard (IMHO) is purely cosmetic, I'll have to decide just how important that is to my overall satisfaction with the guitar before I take this idea any further. 

If the existing pickguard cannot be removed and preserved in one reusable piece (in case there is a shadow underneath), I should just leave well enough alone. 

Bottom line is that the AC422CE (with upgraded Gotoh tuners and a modified saddle) is the best guitar I have for playing covers in an acoustic duo. The voice is strong and clear, most noticeably in the higher strings and upper frets where classic rock/blues lead parts need to stand out. Plugged and unplugged, the sustain in those crucial areas is uncommonly good for any acoustic guitar.
tinnitus likes this post
I tend to modify a bit as well already replaced bridge pins and have a set of Gotoh sitting here just waiting for new strings to arrive then ill chuck them in.

With electrics I was swapping out pickups and making partscasters for friends, actually enjoyed it but stopped all that now just trying to concentrate on playing a bit more but now GAS has bitten again and I'm lusting for a 522.

If you do remove the guard and there is a lighter spot it can be fixed but will take time and patience.

Received an Acousti-lok today so I can safely throw a strap on it.
Eastman AC422CE-ae 
Katoh DF69/s
Love my AC422CE and play open mics with it frequently. 

But I'm still just bugged by the shape/appearance of the pickguard and thinking about removing it (no big deal because that's not where I typically scuff my guitars). Saw something online about how to remove one gently (with dental floss and naptha), but I'm wary of possible "suntan" coloration surrounding where it was covered up.

If I knew I could buy a direct replacement pickguard from Eastman (in case I want to put an exact copy back on) I'd remove it today. Or maybe it's just a generic part like those mediocre Ping tuners that I replaced about a year in (a drop-in proposition). 

I left an inquiry at the Eastman website, but it's not very confidence-inspiring given some circular/broken links I found there.  

Appreciate any leads or tips. Thanks.
tinnitus likes this post
Eastman won't supply pickguards. If one was faulty on a newly bought guitar they would probably replace it via the store it was purchased in. No harm trying I guess - good luck!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis