AC422CE
I did my first tinkering with my AC422CE besides playing it (which I have done a lot of in my first month or so of ownership).  

The G-tuner was catching, so I replaced the factory Ping RM 1171-CVR tuners with Gotoh SG301-20 tuners.  They were a drop in replacement and feel 100x nicer, even on the strings where the Pings were working fine.  I wanted to spring for the Schallers (M6-90 I think would be the model), but they were too spendy for me at nearly $150.  The gotohs were less than $50 on reverb.

I also discovered a small crack in the bridge, so I lightly sanded and filled the cracks with super glue.  Then I scraped off the excess and sanded the whole bridge to 1500 grit.  Finally, I hit it with some fretboard oil.  I also put in bone bridge pins (cosmetic) and changed the strings to DR Rare phosphor bronzes.  I haven't tuned them to pitch yet as I'm making sure the glue on the bridge has cured, so I'm excited to play it again tomorrow.

My last planned "mod" is to install a strap button on the heel of the neck.  I could have done that today as well, but I chickened out.  I think I'm going to install one on my Fender AG15 first to make sure I have the technique down.  Big Grin  Something about drilling into a $1000+ guitar makes me think twice.
Aahzz, Pura Vida, tinnitus, Westy, AlanSam, Guzzi Fan like this post

Attached Files

pL
When you get a chance can you post a close up of the bridge especially if you have a before and after? Nice work.
sleigh and Pura Vida like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I'm really bad at the before pictures unfortunately.  The crack is visible in one of the pictures that was posted on Reverb when I bought it.  (After I discovered the crack, I wondered if it happened in shipping, or after I got it as I didn't notice it right away, but it was visible in the pictures.  After researching how common small superficial cracks in bridges are and how easy they are to repair, I decided not to bother the seller after a month had already gone by.)

I did attach a close up of the repaired bridge.

I'm also not sure if it's just because they are new, or if the change to the bridge pins makes more of a difference than I thought they would, but the sound of the DR Rares is notably different (brighter) from the D'Addarios that were on the guitar when I bought it.  I'm also not sure how old those strings were, but I did like their feel and sound.  I'll give the Rares a few days before passing judgement.
Westy and AlanSam like this post

Attached Files

Bridge pins can affect tone, if their mass changes the overall bridge mass.  Otherwise, I subscribe to the (mostly) cosmetic impact.  But there will be a difference between unknown age coated strings and new uncoated strings from a different company.  Give them a few days (maybe a week) to settle in.  

The bridge repair looks good... if you hadn't mentioned it, I'm not sure I would notice.
AlanSam likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
It is a very minor and superficial crack along the grain.  It's still visible in one spot.  I might repeat the repair the next time I change strings.
(03-10-2023, 09:10 PM)pL9577 Wrote: It is a very minor and superficial crack along the grain.  It's still visible in one spot.  I might repeat the repair the next time I change strings.

Interesting. Thanks for the pics. Nice looking repair job.
sleigh likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
pL9577

Nice job!

Thanks for the tip on the Gotoh tuners.  I just ordered a set on Reverb, for under $50 as you said.  Can't wait to receive and install them!

I did install a strap button on my PCHD-1.  Watched some YouTube videos first and it went well...until the screwdriver slipped resulting in a small scratch which is fortunately in an inconspicuous location.  I also have an AC422CE and like you, I am not comfortable with drilling into it.    

CJ
Pura Vida likes this post
Had my 422 for a year now. Just a couple changes so far (I play rock/blues and bend strings constantly - light ones with an unwound third). Next upgrade will be to replace those inconsistent (poor quality) tuning machines with some decent 18:1 ratio Gotohs.
Winfielder likes this post

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 55.02 KB
Downloads: 183
.jpg
File size: 46.1 KB
Downloads: 182
.jpg
File size: 15.61 KB
Downloads: 214

I did end up installing a strap button on my AC422CE.  I did it first on my Fender AG15 and I put it closer the neck itself and I didn't like how it felt on the high frets.  That guitar is a) inexpensive, older, and has structural issues, and b) isn't a cut-away so I rarely use the high frets.

I moved on to my 1978 Tama TG-120-12 and I put it closer to the back of the body (where I did on my Eastman in the picture) and liked the position a lot better (also not a cut-away so I wasn't too worried about the exact position.)

Finally, I added one to the Eastman.  Very happy with how it turned out.
TomC and sleigh like this post

Attached Files

I have the Gotoh SG301-20 tuners on my 522 and love them! Great looking and great tuners!
DonO likes this post
2021 Eastman E10SS (Mahogany/Adirondack spruce)
2023 Eastman AC522CE-GB (Mahogany/European Spruce)