A Very Cool and Interesting Eastman NGD
I found an E10OM-TC Locally. Doug at Guitars San Diego knew I was looking and emailed me that he had one. 

I took an extended lunch break on Friday and drove down to check it out. When I arrived, Doug informed me that the sales rep for the western US was coming in any minute. I was picking the E10 when he arrived. As Doug was introducing us the rep goes "hey I know this guy." He walked over to shake my hand "Roger, it's Steve from the Blue Guitar." I didn't recognize him at first because the last time I saw him was 30 plus years ago, and at the time was a young rocker dude with hair down to the middle of his back. Steve took over management of the store after I left. 

We sat around and swapped stories for about a half hour. Really cool to see him again. Problem was, I had to get back to work and didn't have time to really check out the guitar.

It all worked out however. On Saturday I brought my E6OM-TC with me to compare. Long story short, I didn't need to compare them. The E10 was far and away the better guitar. 

Doug took the E6 on trade. He gave me a very generous deal, and I have a new E10OM-TC.

Pretty nice grain with a bit of character.

As usual a very nice piece of Mahogany
Pura Vida and vashondan like this post

Attached Files
.jpg
File size: 125.21 KB
Downloads: 111
.jpg
File size: 165.39 KB
Downloads: 102

Roger
Congrats.   It's great when there's a cool story associated with a NGD.
D18 

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion-year-old carbon and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden"

Joni Mitchell
Congrats!  And cool story too.  I met Steve B. about five years ago, where he was hosting a rather empty Eastman event in Davis, CA.  The lack of people allowed me to pelt him with questions for two hours, play everything they had in the store, and I even won the guitar they were raffling.  If I wasn't an Eastman fan for life before that day, I was after.  Cheers and enjoy that E10OM-TC!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(05-08-2022, 02:55 PM)R22 Wrote: I found an E10OM-TC Locally. Doug at Guitars San Diego knew I was looking and emailed me that he had one. 

I took an extended lunch break on Friday and drove down to check it out. When I arrived, Doug informed me that the sales rep for the western US was coming in any minute. I was picking the E10 when he arrived. As Doug was introducing us the rep goes "hey I know this guy." He walked over to shake my hand "Roger, it's Steve from the Blue Guitar." I didn't recognize him at first because the last time I saw him was 30 plus years ago, and at the time was a young rocker dude with hair down to the middle of his back. Steve took over management of the store after I left. 

We sat around and swapped stories for about a half hour. Really cool to see him again. Problem was, I had to get back to work and didn't have time to really check out the guitar.

It all worked out however. On Saturday I brought my E6OM-TC with me to compare. Long story short, I didn't need to compare them. The E10 was far and away the better guitar. 

Doug took the E6 on trade. He gave me a very generous deal, and I have a new E10OM-TC.

Pretty nice grain with a bit of character.

As usual a very nice piece of Mahogany 
Was the top on your E6OM Sitka or Alpine?
Eastman E6OM-TC LTD Alpine Spruce
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

Glad you asked this. It's Sitka. I think.

We were discussing the TC process. I mentioned to Steve & Doug that my E6 top was not dark at all. Both wondered if the top may in fact be Alpine.

Here's an interesting bit of info. Apparently the only way a dealer knows whether a guitar has Alpine or Sitka is the labeling on the box it is shipped in. What? I asked Steve whether a serial number would be of use identifying the wood type. Nope. Is that crazy or what? 

When I brought the E6 in the next day, Doug felt 100% sure that the top on it was Alpine. Ted at LA Guitar certainly didn't. Alpine was an $80 upgrade. I paid for Sitka. When I bought it, they had 3 with Sitka, and I think 2 with Alpine. I asked Ted to pick out the best one regardless. I was OK with the upcharge if it was better tonewise. 

So I have no idea. All I know is the top on my E10 is Adi, and it sounds great. Highs are crisp and clear. It's very even and overall a bit drier than the E6. Another interesting thing is it's noticeably lighter. Also the neck is a bit thinner. Closer to my J45.  

So yeah, this is the honeymoon stage, but there is no doubt that for me, it's a better instrument. 

Pretty sure I'm going to move on the 000-18. I'll wait another couple weeks, but I don't see it sticking around.
Roger
(05-09-2022, 06:53 PM)R22 Wrote: Glad you asked this. It's Sitka. I think.

We were discussing the TC process. I mentioned to Steve & Doug that my E6 top was not dark at all. Both wondered if the top may in fact be Alpine.

Here's an interesting bit of info. Apparently the only way a dealer knows whether a guitar has Alpine or Sitka is the labeling on the box it is shipped in. What? I asked Steve whether a serial number would be of use identifying the wood type. Nope. Is that crazy or what? 

When I brought the E6 in the next day, Doug felt 100% sure that the top on it was Alpine. Ted at LA Guitar certainly didn't. Alpine was an $80 upgrade. I paid for Sitka. When I bought it, they had 3 with Sitka, and I think 2 with Alpine. I asked Ted to pick out the best one regardless. I was OK with the upcharge if it was better tonewise. 

So I have no idea. All I know is the top on my E10 is Adi, and it sounds great. Highs are crisp and clear. It's very even and overall a bit drier than the E6. Another interesting thing is it's noticeably lighter. Also the neck is a bit thinner. Closer to my J45.  

So yeah, this is the honeymoon stage, but there is no doubt that for me, it's a better instrument. 

Pretty sure I'm going to move on the 000-18. I'll wait another couple weeks, but I don't see it sticking around.

I bought my E6D-TC from Doug, it had a flyer in the case that discussed the Alpine top. Sitka versus Alpine was never discussed, I think it was before people knew of the temporary upgrade.
Eastman E6D-TC (alpine)
Martin 000-18
Seagull Entourage
Republic RP-1
(05-09-2022, 08:29 PM)Fatfingers Wrote:
(05-09-2022, 06:53 PM)R22 Wrote:  

I bought my E6D-TC from Doug, it had a flyer in the case that discussed the Alpine top. Sitka versus Alpine was never discussed, I think it was before people knew of the temporary upgrade.  
Is the top of your E6D-TC lighter in color than pictures I see of Adi and Sitka torrified tops?  Mine certainly is.
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini

(05-09-2022, 06:53 PM)R22 Wrote: Glad you asked this. It's Sitka. I think.

That temporary sub with Alpine is so confusing.  The models give no indication, and like you said, the folks in Pomona didn't have any way to distinguish, since both versions read as the same model.  I had to ask about my E6D-TC (Alpine) b/c it didn't carry any of the packaging, but was obviously lighter.  While they couldn't confirm 100%, based on the date and lighter color, they were 99% sure it was Alpine (and it certainly sounded different than Sitka).  I had them send me the card, so I'd have it in the case, in case I ever sell it.

If yours is lighter, then it's almost certainly Alpine.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(05-10-2022, 08:16 AM)Pura Vida Wrote:  

Yeah, the guy I bought it from sent me a link to the original posting on Reverb by The Acoustic Shoppe and it was advertised as an Alpine Spruce Limited Edition.

https://reverb.com/item/48734557-eastman...t=48734557
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman AC308CE LTD
Alvarez Yairi WY1TS
Taylor GS Mini

TerryD -- Like you I bought my E6D-TC Ltd. (Alpine) via the Acoustic Shoppe. It didn't have the card from Tonewood Switzerland in the case regarding Alpine Spruce, but I knew from a video from the Acoustic Shoppe that they hadn't been sent enough cards for all their Alpines, so I just copied the card from the link they provided and also copied the original posting for the guitar and put both in the case for any future owner; though I don't expect there will be one of those Big Grin

Mine's definitely not Sitka. Doesn't look or sound like Sitka.
Pura Vida likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Very cool guitar shop droptune56 2 877 12-29-2020, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Huey1952