changing pickups in my T386
Maybe a newbie question, but whatever.  

I just got my new T386 and do love the look of the sunburst and the feel of the guitar.  I actually find myself playing it unplugged on the couch pretty often because this thing is so resonant! I like the kent armstrong pickups but I know a pickup swap is definitely imminent, which leads me to my question:

When I'm switching out the pickups, can I pop out just the two volume pots, or do I need to take the whole wiring harness out due to internal wire lengths etc. Also, what replacement pickups do you find sound good in the t386?  I'm leaning towards something underwound to get a more clean and clear sound.
(12-08-2020, 08:26 AM)dantheman1017 Wrote: Maybe a newbie question, but whatever.  

I just got my new T386 and do love the look of the sunburst and the feel of the guitar.  I actually find myself playing it unplugged on the couch pretty often because this thing is so resonant! I like the kent armstrong pickups but I know a pickup swap is definitely imminent, which leads me to my question:

When I'm switching out the pickups, can I pop out just the two volume pots, or do I need to take the whole wiring harness out due to internal wire lengths etc. Also, what replacement pickups do you find sound good in the t386?  I'm leaning towards something underwound to get a more clean and clear sound.

Hi , Unfortunately, you will have to pull eveything out. Taking the harness out and, worse, putting it back into a thinline is not an easy or fun task. If you have no experience, I would have a qualified teck do it....
This said, Pups that are very well regarded are Lollar imperials, Seymour Duncans "seth Lovers" or antiquities" to only name a few. There are many boutique builders that sound great !

Godd luck !
Ah that's what I was afraid of... no worries, I'm no stranger to soldering and switching pickups.  I've watched a couple videos about how to do it on a semi hollow, so I generally know what i need to do, just haven't done it yet. Will I need to take out the input jack too?
(12-08-2020, 10:28 AM)dantheman1017 Wrote: >>SNIP<< Will I need to take out the input jack too?

Generally yes.

Just get some good braided fishing line (NOT Mono it may slip a poorly done knot) or heavy sewing or leather thread and fish them back pulling on the strings... like a marionette :-)

Getting the nuts and washers back on is a chore, but it's worth it.
Regards,

Gary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T386 getting new pickups and wiring Blair 7 3,583 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Wildfield