Which Eastman thinline?
Man, the seller reduced the price of that newer 185MX by $200. I just can't decide.  Something like the t59 is more of a known thing, as least more comparable to a 335 construction wise.  There is not much out there similar to a 185. I think the 15" body would be a tad more comfortable, but the 16" of the t59 would be fine too.  I played a Guild Starfire IV today, and its 16" lower bout was fine.  On the other hand maybe the resonance and overtones of the 185 would be more appealing since I am playing mostly at lower volumes.  Or maybe the tone between the two is not as different as i think.
Pura Vida likes this post
Good timing for you!  He dropped it $200, but added $69 for shipping (previously said free shipping).  It says the seller is open to offers, so maybe offer him the asking price w/ free shipping.  At at that price, it's not much of a gamble, since used ones are selling for nearly the same price.

Based on my research, the Collings I-35 (not LC) is probably the closest in terms of body shape and general construction.  So, if you liked the comfort of the I-35 LC, you'll probably love the T185MX.

Just in case you haven't seen this video from N Stuff Music in Pittsburgh, he does a nice job playing through the T185MX:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRlZ_rj7omM
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I've had Gibson ES335s and 339s and a Collings I35LC and my 2018 T185MX GB tops all those in one word....resonance. The carved top makes all the difference. Plus, it is light and comfortable to hold and play. Not to mention it has quality Switchcraft parts, a bone nut and SD 59s. I've been playing 45 yrs and I won't be selling this one.
Pura Vida and Zeiss like this post
Eastman T185MX-GB - Gibson ES175 sp - Sadowsky Semi - Ibanez S6521Q w/GK3 - Strymon Iridium
https://soundcloud.com/user852059642/tracks
(11-30-2019, 12:18 PM)tones Wrote: Yea looking around there seem to be a few different versions.  The newer ones with the narrow headstock might be nice, though I am not sure that makes a difference tuning wise. 

I've been eying these two on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/24157137-eastman...olid-woodshttps://reverb.com/item/29908487-eastman...19-classic

The first one is older, but it looks like the seller pasted the description from the website?  So I am not sure if it really has Lollars installed.

The second one is obviously a new model, with the narrow headstock, and I assume includes Lollars as listed.  

Hard to decide.  Maybe a drive to Seattle is in order.

The new 2019 listing shows sold.  Did you take the plunge?  Or did someone else snag it?

The 2017 listing is still active.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I didn't read through all the post . I've not been happy with any hollow-body laminate electric guitar no matter what the brand . I hand a Eastman I sent back and other brands I couldn't wait to sell . Once you run a sold block down the middle I love a laminate guitars . If it has a very partial block , sound post only or hollow
(soild wood only). Of course that's just what I've found with my own small collection.
I was waffling and didn’t take the plunge. Sad Someone else snagged it at what was probably a good price.

I have been leaning more towards a t59 or 486 anyways. Its got the center block and is more of a similar thing to the Collings and Gibson 335s i have played around town
I had been searching for a Gibson es335 replacement for 2 or 3 years. I loved the feel and tone of my Gibson 335 but it was a piece of junk.

I bought Ibanez, Gretsch and Taylor trying to find its replacement. Sold them, except the Gretschs. In Gretsch I found a whole new animal I love, but not a 335 replacement. Then I found the Eastman T486.

The Eastman is exactly what I was after, great looks, great feel, stunning workmanship, a neck and fingerboard that can’t be beat and a wonderful warm bluesy tone.

Stick with Eastman, you will find that 335 you are looking for
Eric Rowland likes this post

Attached Files

Thanks, that all sounds great.  I think the wider neck of the Eastman will be pretty similar to my acoustics. 

Now I need to decide is the t59 worth the extra money over the t486.  I think the difference is the varnish finish, pickups, and maybe tuners?
The t486 does have good pickups though . I'm not a fan of the varnish finish really but others I know love it . I had a eastman with a varnish finish I don't get the hype . Truthfully ether would be a great choice as they are both soild models.
Pura Vida likes this post
Well I finally pulled the trigger on a new t59, after a failed used purchase through Guitar Center.

I saw a used narrow headstock t59 on the Guitar Center website for a good price.  I figured I could order it, have it shipped to my local guitar center, and if I don't like it I can return it.  So place my order, after calling the Guitar Center to confirm its still in the store.  Later GC contacts me saying they literally can't find the guitar, that they think someone stole it.  Maybe the person i talked to realized it was a good deal and tucked it away for themselves.

Anyways, after that a dealer on Reverb gave me a good price on a new t59, so I went for it. Looking forward to it arriving.

[Image: esswe1eblz6nnpkfrz5y.jpg]
Zepnut, Pura Vida, TomC like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman nut widths on new Thinline guitars Amigo 4 1,852 06-08-2023, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Lukew