Visit to Tobias Music - Downers Grove, Il
I had some time during a recent business trip to Chicago. I had heard about Tobias Music but never had the chance to stop by until this trip. Tobias is run by Paul Tobias and his father. http://www.tobiasmusic.com Paul was exceptionally welcoming and patient. They have an extensive selection of Taylor guitars but I went there due to the current selection of Eastmans. Specifically 4 guitars caught my eye.

E1OM - LTD - torrefied Sitka top with figured Sapele back and sides and gloss TrueTone finish. $699

E1OMCE Limited - this is one with the cutaway, torrefied Sitka top gloss TrueTone finish, Fishman UST and figured Sapele back and sides. $799 

I was quite surprised at both of these. I expected a fairly bright guitar from my experience with Sapele, but I would not have described either as being bright. I surprisingly liked the CE better even though I am not a fan of USTs. The set up on both were good. It never ceases to amaze me that Eastman can deliver a solid wood guitar of this quality and tone at this price point.

E22SSv - slope shoulder dread Adirondack top, WALNUT back and sides and vintage finish. Very full/big tone to this one. Not quite the base of my rosewood E20SSv but very close. It is definitely more balanced. $1869

E20D-MR-TC - D14 style dread with torrefied Adirondack top, and Madagascar rosewood back and sides. I take back any negative I have said about the Madagascar backed models. This one is a beast. Loud, deep bass. sparkling trebles. Fit and finish were spot on. Just an incredible big robust rosewood dread. $2219. There was guy there with some definite skills (John) and he played this one for about 15 minutes. FWIW - a Martin build with the same materials would be close to $6K and I think the Eastman could hold its own against the Martin. 

If you are in Chicago, take a side trip and check out Tobias Music. Of the four above, my favorite was the E20D-MR-TC. #2 was the E1OMCE LTD. They were all nice guitars which I wouldn't hesitate to bring home. Unfortunately timing is not good. If I bring home another guitar, I better learn to sleep in the case.
AlanSam, rmckee400, Victor Vector, DukeS, sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
thanks Tom - interesting review of your visit.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
But Tom, your tagline is "Current stable - prone to frequent changes"   Big Grin
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(09-14-2023, 02:59 PM)sleigh Wrote: But Tom, your tagline is "Current stable - prone to frequent changes"   Big Grin

That is true, but the in has to balance the out. I probably should stay out of guitar stores. I can always find something that wants to follow me home. (Same is true of on-line classifieds). I am like Captain Jack Sparrow with a spinning compass only mine is trying to point to the latest guitar my heart desires.

(09-14-2023, 02:19 PM)AlanSam Wrote: thanks Tom - interesting review of your visit.

AlanSam
Care to elaborate on "interesting review"?

Thank you both for your comments.
sleigh likes this post

I know about how the 'out' has to balance the 'in' -- it's the same in my household.   Big Grin
TomC likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Tom - I find your comments on the E22ss/v useful. Never owned or even played a walnut b&s guitar, but you allayed some of my fears. It seems that it might be an acceptable alternative, albeit not a completely adequate substitute for the E20ss/v - a guitar I must own one day. And I too have a strong, maybe unfounded expectation of all Sapele guitars being too bright. I should be more open minded on this. Of the two OMs, the E1OMCE Limited in particular would be an attractive proposition without the USP. Only in exceptional circumstances, like with my Bourgeois OM (with K&K) would I buy an acoustic fitted with a pup of any kind, which may seem a bit theological - but so it goes. Last and least - I absolutely hate those tiny excuses for pickguards on the two OMs.
p.s. I would never buy a Madagascar Rosewood guitar - for reasons personal.
TomC likes this post
Alan
(09-14-2023, 01:39 PM)TomC Wrote:
I had some time during a recent business trip to Chicago. I had heard about Tobias Music but never had the chance to stop by until this trip. Tobias is run by Paul Tobias and his father. http://www.tobiasmusic.com Paul was exceptionally welcoming and patient. They have an extensive selection of Taylor guitars but I went there due to the current selection of Eastmans. Specifically 4 guitars caught my eye.

E1OM - LTD - torrefied Sitka top with figured Sapele back and sides and gloss TrueTone finish. $699

E1OMCE Limited - this is one with the cutaway, torrefied Sitka top gloss TrueTone finish, Fishman UST and figured Sapele back and sides. $799 

I was quite surprised at both of these. I expected a fairly bright guitar from my experience with Sapele, but I would not have described either as being bright. I surprisingly liked the CE better even though I am not a fan of USTs. The set up on both were good. It never ceases to amaze me that Eastman can deliver a solid wood guitar of this quality and tone at this price point.

E22SSv - slope shoulder dread Adirondack top, WALNUT back and sides and vintage finish. Very full/big tone to this one. Not quite the base of my rosewood E20SSv but very close. It is definitely more balanced. $1869

E20D-MR-TC - D14 style dread with torrefied Adirondack top, and Madagascar rosewood back and sides. I take back any negative I have said about the Madagascar backed models. This one is a beast. Loud, deep bass. sparkling trebles. Fit and finish were spot on. Just an incredible big robust rosewood dread. $2219. There was guy there with some definite skills (John) and he played this one for about 15 minutes. FWIW - a Martin build with the same materials would be close to $6K and I think the Eastman could hold its own against the Martin. 

If you are in Chicago, take a side trip and check out Tobias Music. Of the four above, my favorite was the E20D-MR-TC. #2 was the E1OMCE LTD. They were all nice guitars which I wouldn't hesitate to bring home. Unfortunately timing is not good. If I bring home another guitar, I better learn to sleep in the case.

Hey Man - what were the necks on the E1's like? Which one had a smaller neck, do you remember? Thanks!
2021 Martin D-18 
2022 Martin Special 16
2002 Alvarez JC60
2018 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2020 Gibson SG 61 reissue
I don't remember much of a difference on the necks, but if you call the store I am sure they would be happy to discuss it with you.

(09-15-2023, 11:01 AM)steveua Wrote:
(09-14-2023, 01:39 PM)TomC Wrote:

Hey Man - what were the necks on the E1's like? Which one had a smaller neck, do you remember? Thanks!  
steveua - so you are in the market for a reasonably priced Eastman?
Alan