Used E2D - Tonerite question
I made an offer on a mint 2022 E2D on Reverb. Seller claims that Tonerite was applied for 300 hours and it sounds night and day better. Louder, more complex, better sustain. I realize he's probably exagerraring some, but he does have an excellent rating on Reverb..

I guess my hesitation is that I'm a tad leery of Tonerite. I've read on multiple AGF threads that it has negatively affected the tone of some guitars. Some threads even say permanently diminished the tone.

So should I be concerned with a a guitar exposed to that much time with TR or am I overthinking?

Another thing I thought was strange was this seller states the back is mahogany and not sapele. I've never heaed of the E2s being hog. Not that it matters. The back is particularly pretty IMO. Pic attached.

Appreciate it!

Attached Files

2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
The E2D is open pore Sapele.  I own a TR and have used it to varying degrees of success.  For some tighter guitars, particularly Adi tops, it has made a significant difference, while others were less noticeable.  I couldn't imagine that open pore finish plus a Cedar top would require much of anything to sound open, so I'd take the "transformation" in this case with a grain of salt, since it probably sounded fairly open on day one.
Guzzi Fan, Aahzz, sleigh, AlanSam like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(02-02-2023, 12:39 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: The E2D is open pore Sapele. I own a TR and have used it to varying degrees of success. For some tighter guitars, particularly Adi tops, it has made a significant difference, while others were less noticeable. I couldn't imagine that open pore finish plus a Cedar top would require much of anything to sound open, so I'd take the "transformation" in this case with a grain of salt, since it probably sounded fairly open on day one.

That's what I was thinking too. But in terms of the TR hurting the tone or diminishing it, you think there's no need to really worry about that? I just have read multiple threads of ppl stating they think the TR negatively affected the guitar or overworked it. Thanks as always, and I tend to overthink these things I know lol.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
It's nothing to worry about.  Speaking from personal experience, it vibrates and helps loosen up a guitar, which can be helpful, especially for a new Adi top.  But it's not going to change what the guitar is (or is not).  TR is a string killer and sometimes the vibrating can make the guitar / strings sound a little harsh, which is why I would always use the TR just before I planned a string change.  I'd give it a session on the old strings and then put on a fresh set after the session was complete.  You'll be fine.
SasquatchLife likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young