Upgrading T386 Wiring
Hi all,

I’m going to display my ignorance here, and maybe this isn’t the right place for the question, but I occasionally see posts where people talk about upgrading the wiring and components of their Eastman guitars. Can someone explain Guitar Electronics Quality 101 to me? Are there any websites that could educate me?

I’m considering replacing the pickups on my T386 and I want to know if I should consider anything else while I’m doing it, and why.

Thanks much,

John
John some Eastman's have nicer wiring then others . My sb59 has nice quality wire and components including high quality pickups. I did change one pickup and change the magnet in the other, put just personal preference wasn't necessary. On my 386 the wiring was cheaper plastic coded wire and much cheaper capacitors , even the potentiometers seemed of lesser quality.
I changed everything in the 386 . I think the question is does the cheaper wire potentiometers and capacitors really make that much difference in sound ? I would say probably not . Pickups I would say absolutely makes a huge difference.
I think are 386's are exceptional quality not just for the cost but in general. I had two Gibson 335's when I purchase my 386 . It didn't sound as good as them but absolutely is a nicer guitar . I upgraded pickups for sound and everything else so the quality matched the guitar.
There's something I experimented with on a few guitars . I got into the really high-end capacitors. $40-50. Ones . If I didn't use one of those I would only use high quality orange drops . Never just a cheap ceramic cap . I got a collings that sounds just great and Guess what ceramic capacitors lol . I've done 5 build's with inexpensive capacitors and switched out with the expensive ones back to the inexpensive ceramic ones , .50 That's $0.50 a piece lol sound the same .
Because it's a bit of work to change the pickups in the 386 I would change everything why I was in there. But it's probably not necessary for sound. Pickups absolutely worth changing in my opinion.
If you do some searches on YouTube I'm sure you'll find some installation videos that will help .
Not an expert in electronics nor guitar electronics nor am I knowledgeable on "upgrades"...but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Smile

One modification (dare I say upgrade) that I thought was well worthwhile was shielding the pots and wires.  I read an article once in a guitar magazine written by luthier John Monteleone (I think) who didn't understand why more guitar builders didn't take the time to shield the wiring in guitars.

It was a bit tedious as I recall, and required procuring copper foil that had an adhesive on one side.

The end result was a very quiet, noise free, hum free setup.  Ever notice how when you take your hands off of the strings on your electric guitar you get a hum through the amplifier?  Most setups include a "ground wire" that attaches to your tailpiece or other metal connection to your strings.  When you touch the strings, you act as a ground and the hum goes away.

Shielding your wiring system including potentiometers also eliminates the hum (radio wave interference on unshielded wires) and thus eliminates the need for a ground wire.  One other benefit of eliminating the ground wire is the elimination of potential electrical shock to the guitarist.

Anyway, if I ever get my stuff out of storage from my recent move, I'll find the article and maybe make a pdf of the article available to whomever is interested to read it.

I guess that wasn't a direct answer to the original post, but my thoughts on "upgrading" your wiring. Smile
Wildfield looking forward to reading the article as I shield my guitars with single coils .
Fortunately humbuckers need little to no shielding .
Some guitars are easy to shield and some close to impossible to do . The 386 would be a tough guitar to shield . The only way I've heard of shielding a hollow body or semi is to use a shielding paint . Spraying it in the body and rotating the guitar around to spread it . I've never done this and don't think I would ever try.
I own a T486 and have no issues, so I am wondering that if the T386 is presenting owners with these concerns, why not purchase the T486 in the first place. Unless, of course, it is the need to tinker.
When you’re a lefty, you take what you can get. I was lucky to find this one and I liked it so much I traded in a lovely LP Studio for it. I still like my T386.

That doesn’t mean I might not want to make its sound even better. Some day I might upgrade the pickups and see for myself what sound improvements are possible (or not). I only asked about the wiring and components because once in a while I see a post here where someone complains about them.

Internet information is sketchy, at best, but asking questions can’t hurt, and this forum is better than some. You’re a great crew and I appreciate this forum.

John
I really don't see it as a concern ? I personally wanted the red without the flame top . I love traditional dot look and with the Ebony board it's perfect. I actually had a new T484 and wasn't really liking it , sound was ok but not the greatest . The flame top on a plywood guitar doesn't really move me . But;. Do recommend to people if the want better pickups they should look at the 486 also .
If your thinking there's a problem because of lack of shielding , there isn't any as it's a humbucker guitar thinline. That was just something wildfield through out there to consider.

John I'm also a lefty and 64 , there's never been a time when we left handed people had so many options !
Also we seem to enjoy finding another left handed guitar more so then right handed people .
(10-19-2021, 10:24 AM)Zeiss Wrote: John I'm also a lefty and 64 , there's never been a time when we left handed people had so many options !

Youngster. I’m 65.

FWIW, I viewed some vids on setting up the guitar for a jazz tone. One video clicked with me. Also, I saw something on this site that said to start with the pickup poles 3/32” from the strings. I did both things and OMG, there’s the sound I wanted! I recognize that different pickups might make it even better, but WOW, I’m just going to enjoy it this way for a while.

Thanks for the feedback.

John

When you’re a lefty, you take what you can get. I was lucky to find this one and I liked it so much I traded in a lovely LP Studio for it. I still like my T386.

That doesn’t mean I might not want to make its sound even better. Some day I might upgrade the pickups and see for myself what sound improvements are possible (or not). I only asked about the wiring and components because once in a while I see a post here where someone complains about them.

Internet information is sketchy, at best, but asking questions can’t hurt, and this forum is better than some. You’re a great crew and I appreciate this forum.

John
I agree with you both, that finding the right lefty is an issue and you have to take what you can get.

BTW, I'm 75 and still learning how to play this amazing instrument.
Playing guitar is one of life's greatest journeys . For me it's a journey that will never end !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wiring aw.bosma 4 3,394 11-03-2023, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Tarbender
  T386 getting new pickups and wiring Blair 7 3,583 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Wildfield