Tighten up bass on low E?
Hello!

I purchased a new T484 yesterday and have spent most of today trying to get it dialed in.  This is my first semi-hollow and in fact my first Humbucker equipped guitar so forgive my ignorance.

I feel like the tone form the lower stings - low E is the worst but A isn't great either - is dull and kinda mushy, especially on the neck pickup.  I've been experimenting with pickup height, as well as tweaking the pole pieces in combination with pickup height but I'm not having great luck yet.

I changed out the factory default NYXL 10-46 set to a set of my preferred D'Addario XT 09-42s.  Not sure of that really matters.  I've also adjusted neck relief and raised the action a bit to suit my preference.

Any advice?
You put new strings on it yet?
"Act your age, not your shoe size" - Prince
(02-14-2021, 09:11 PM)Chris Pile Wrote: You put new strings on it yet?

Yep.  I swapped out the factory set to a lighter (9-46) set.  No significant change.
NYXLs are anything but dull IME and last forever. I play them on most of my electrics. Your T484 is a short (Gibson) scale instrument and is going to be happier with strings a whole gauge heavier than what you'd use on a 25.5" guitar, which is probably why it had the 10-46s on it. Stringwise, you might consider "balanced tension" strings. They're engineered so the wound strings are not so floppy. I find them a good match for my short scale electric. D'Addario makes them in your favored gauge.

As far as HB setup goes, I'd investigate some electric forums. You're likely to get good information from players who've dealt with the same issue. There's probably a forum for Gibson players, maybe even the Seymour Duncan forum.
Pura Vida likes this post
(02-15-2021, 06:35 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: NYXLs are anything but dull IME and last forever. I play them on most of my electrics. Your T484 is a short (Gibson) scale instrument and is going to be happier with strings a whole gauge heavier than what you'd use on a 25.5" guitar, which is probably why it had the 10-46s on it. Stringwise, you might consider "balanced tension" strings. They're engineered so the wound strings are not so floppy. I find them a good match for my short scale electric. D'Addario makes them in your favored gauge.

As far as HB setup goes, I'd investigate some electric forums. You're likely to get good information from players who've dealt with the same issue. There's probably a forum for Gibson players, maybe even the Seymour Duncan forum.
That's great info - thank you!
(02-15-2021, 06:43 AM)Grendel Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 06:35 AM)RoyBoy Wrote: NYXLs are anything but dull IME and last forever. I play them on most of my electrics. Your T484 is a short (Gibson) scale instrument and is going to be happier with strings a whole gauge heavier than what you'd use on a 25.5" guitar, which is probably why it had the 10-46s on it. Stringwise, you might consider "balanced tension" strings. They're engineered so the wound strings are not so floppy. I find them a good match for my short scale electric. D'Addario makes them in your favored gauge.

That's great info - thank you! 

Get a "magic button," a Boss EQ pedal. Get a modded one so the noise is fixed E.g. Analogman. I have this as an always on pedal.