T59/v Knob Replacement Question
Hello all! I am wondering if Gibson Amber Top Hat style knobs would fit on a T59/v? I wasn’t sure if the T59 needed 18/20/24 spline spindles to fit properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time
Great question!  I too have a T59/v and 372 with black knobs from the factory, and would like to change to amber tophats (anyone know the exact replacement part?).  Any info on proper removal technique would also be appreciated.  I tried the "use 2 spoons" prying method but nothing budged and I was afraid of causing damage.  Double thanks!
(12-12-2023, 07:00 AM)Hammerhead Wrote: Great question!  I too have a T59/v and 372 with black knobs from the factory, and would like to change to amber tophats (anyone know the exact replacement part?).  Any info on proper removal technique would also be appreciated.  I tried the "use 2 spoons" prying method but nothing budged and I was afraid of causing damage.  Double thanks!

Hey Hammerhead! So I reached to a gentleman on reverb last night who had a T59 that switched from the block knobs to a gold style Gibson knob. This is what he said:

“Drew,
I ordered the American sized because the T-59 came with CTS pots, and they're American made. Just order the knobs that fit CTS pots and you'll be fine.”

It looks like the Gibson top hat knobs will work! Also, I saw a technique on YouTube where a guy takes the knobs off with a string. He puts the string half way in (not all the way around or it can damage it) and then just pulls up on the string. The knobs popped right off.
Here’s the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR03R2Lu...9uIGtub2Jz

Hope this helps!
AlanSam likes this post
Mission accomplished!  The string (halfway only) worked like a charm!  I got the genuine Gibson part from Sweetwater.  It really goes with the aging of the T59/v ( I wonder why some, like mine, are black?). I decided to leave the black knobs on the 372 as it seemed to go better with the sunburst.  Thanks for the assistance by all!
AlanSam likes this post

Attached Files

Congratulations H. and yes, the black knobs look great!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question: Replacement tuners for T486 Semi-Hollow? thescumalsorises 1 720 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: CaliJazzman