T486 vs T59/v
T486 vs. T59/v

I have an opportunity to buy one of these guitars left-handed from a store in another state. Not being able to audition these in person at this time, I have to rely on the opinion of others to help with my decision.

I know all the technical differences between these 2 models. I know about the difference in the nitro vs  varnish finish, and I know the T486 has SD Jazz neck / SD 59 bridge (Alnico 5/potted) while the T59/v has SD Anitiquities (Alnico 2/non-potted). 

What I am unclear about, and why I am seeking opinions here, is the differences in TONE.  I have watched  whatever is available on YouTube, but there is no direct comparison between these 2 specific models.

I am looking for a versatile guitar - my playing ranges from Steely Dan solos to chordal and single note jazz, and from clean and low to medium gain classic rock to airy /spacy solo arrangements. in all these genres, I need clarity most of all, with spanky bite in the bridge pickup but without harshness, and smoothness of tones in the neck pickup without getting muddy. 

Please help!
Best regards, LeftFrankie
I'd say a t486 is 98% of the way to a T59 for way less money. I never have had any issues with muddiness on either of those pickup sets.
Oldjock likes this post
2019 T64/v-T-GB
2017 T386
Hi leftFrankie...
have you seen this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xk7i2iVgrk

There is a comparison between the 386, 486 and T59.
I am a lefty as well and was almost going to pull the trigger on a lefty T59 I found but it is no longer available. Probably a good thing since I continue to drool over the E10SS/V.

Cheers.
Pura Vida likes this post
Yes, I’ve watched that video several times.
Not a very good comparison as he doesn’t put those guitars through the paces on enough settings, and I don’t like the amp he used. I didn’t hear a lot of differences, except maybe the T59 sounded a bit rounder.

Was the T59 lefty you saw at Woodstock? If so, I called him on it too, and it was sold. The owner there, Dave, is a lefty too and he is continually getting new stock, but he never knows what is going to arrive in advance. He currently has 3 lefty AR-372CE in stock.
yeah, not the best comparison but it did highlight some subtle differences.
Yes, the T59 was from Woodstock. They have a pretty good selection and Jerry's from Florida has a good selection as well at times.
I ordered a custom E20D years ago from Jerry and transaction was smooth including delivery (I live in Canada).
Good luck and let us know when you get your new hollow-body...with pics! :-)
Cheers.
Dave from Woodstock used to post here, but I haven't seen him lately.  Good luck with those lefty guitars!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(08-14-2020, 10:25 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Dave from Woodstock used to post here, but I haven't seen him lately.  Good luck with those lefty guitars!

I'm still here it's just been a whirlwind summer

Frank I've never had the T486 and the T59/v in stock at the same time to compare them so I really can't give you an informed opinion on the sound difference. My best answer is they're both great guitars

Just to let everyone know I have plenty of lefties arriving in the immediate and foreseeable future

Thanks
Dave
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
You're like a genie... just say your name, and you appear!  Do we get three wishes?  If so, I'll defer to the left-handers in this thread.  Smile
AlanSam likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(08-15-2020, 01:35 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: You're like a genie... just say your name, and you appear!  Do we get three wishes?  If so, I'll defer to the left-handers in this thread.  Smile

Ha Let's just say my ears were ringing.
Pura Vida likes this post
And the winner is:

T59L/v 

I was talking with the owner of a store about various left handed Eastman models, about to buy a blonde T486 that he had, when I mentioned the T59/v, and he said he just received one that morning, and had not yet put it up on his website. He took some photos and sent it to me, and I decided to buy that one.

If I knew how to post photos, I would do so.

Great guitar!
Lukew, NoiseFloor, aant like this post