T486 SB setup
Been playing my new T486 and loving it but feel that the setup could be better. The nut hangs a bit so I use nut sauce on it. The action could be lower but buzzes when I lower it.

Anyone had a pro setup or tweak it yourself?

Similar experiences?

Thanks!

Tom
How much relief do you have on your neck?
Tom, sounds like it might need more relief in the neck.  Turning truss rod about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn makes a big diff in my experience.  Most new guitars, in the first year need a saddle / truss rods adjustment.  Lots of dealers provide free setup in 1st year.

If you are not comfortable doing it, most any luthier can have you jammin in no time.  bert
Thanks,

I think I'll bring it in for a checkup. I've adjusted truss rods and bridges but not nuts.

Love the guitar but it still does not feel quite right.

Thanks,

Tom,
Tom,

Did you get it set up and, if so, how do you like it?

Luke
Luke, unfortunately, Tom hasn't been back here since this post in 2018.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(04-20-2020, 11:09 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Luke, unfortunately, Tom hasn't been back here since this post in 2018.

lol No worries Smile
Hi Luke,

I’m back! I did not have it looked at professionally.  Fixed it myself by tightening the truss rod to about .005 relief. Brought the action down nicely. Nut sauce helped lubricate the nut. 

I swapped in two other sets of pickups to darken up the guitar a bit but the original Duncan’s ended back in it. I have replace the neck volume pot with a 300k instead of the 500k. That helped. I find that the guitar can be a bit bright. Probably just me.

I do still like the T486 and since my original post I bought a used SB59 with Porter Anthem pickups. Great guitar also.

Tom
Pura Vida and Lukew like this post
Hello Tom,

Glad to hear you were able to get the T486 to a point where you like it.  I have the T59/v and love it.  I also have the SB59/v with the Lollar Imperials.  I reckon you would be hard pressed to find a better guitar than either of them.

They do tend to be bright, but that is a trait of true PAF tones.  I really like them but as you say it is personal taste.

I am not familiar with Porter Anthem pick ups.

Luke
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Archtop Rig / Setup Bert 2 2,178 05-09-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Bert