T484 vs T486
Hey All!

First post here.

I am considering the T484 as well as the T486, and hoping to get some opinions here regarding comparison of these 2 models.

I already have a 16" 335 clone, an Ibanez Artcore AS73L, although I suspect the T486 would be a marked improvement on that. So I was considering the T484 for its smaller size and is about 1 pound lighter too.

I am also interested in how these 2 models compare in terms of getting a good jazz tone. I know neither would get close to a full size jazz archtop, but I have heard a couple of YouTubes with jazz being played on the T486, and its pretty nice. Wondering if the T484 might be a step back from that, or pretty much the same.

Thanks!
LeftFrank (yes, I play left handed)
Hello , just saw your post.
I had the 484 and I have a 386 with Gibson 57 pickups installed with Gibson wiring harness. I was disappoint in the 484 . The 484/486 has much better pickups and wiring then my 386 had so no need to change .
I found the body size on this type of guitar seems to matter more then you would think . Personally 486 all the way ! [Image: 7RLwZjv.jpg][Image: EraFkvL.jpg] now the 484 was pretty , but that red 386 has its own charm .
I sold two Gibson 335's and one heritage like a 339 15" because the 386 just sounded better .

That pic of 386 is when I had Seymour Duncan fat cat neck , 59 bridge . Usually one of my favorite combinations. P90 neck humbucker bridge but in that guitar classic 57's rule . There much like the pickups in the 486 . I should have just got the 486 at the time but for some reason wanted a plain top. Lol
As far as jazz yes you definitely can get close. What you don't get is the woodiness in the note like a jazz box. Funny thing my wife prefers my 386 on the neck pickup playing jazz tunes over my actual jazz boxes go figure .
335 style guitars sound far better to me for jazz than a 175 full archtop type. More pickup and amp, less air and wood.

If I was going full acoustic jazz sound, that would be a nylon guitar miked and a second channel pickup...which what I do on my Cordoba nylon guitars.

An aside, ever listen to Joe Pass's Virtuoso CD, one of the best solo jazz guitar recordings ever. But the recording, there is no amp, pickup at all. Just a few mics on the acoustic guitar. Some people including Joe Pass love that sound. But they forgot something, a 175 is not a hi end steel string acoustic like a Martin, Lowden, Webber, etc. It is acoustically non resonant and dead.

Apparently, that was the sound they were going for. Too bad the recording engineers didn't have Joe Pass have a second channel thru an actual amp, and release that recording as well.

When I listen to the Virtuoso recording I will forever cringe at the sound of the guitar, it is absolutely horrible. The playing, improvisation is the best ever...
I owned two 486’s, very nice guitars. I sold both. I now have a 484. I much prefer the smaller body size especially since I often times sit on a couch and play. 

As for pickups and tone I liked my 486 that had the  same pickups as my 484, Duncan, 59 and a Jazz. The 484 also sounds good with them.  I also liked my 486 that had the Duncan Phat Cats. 

I am disappointed in the lack of quality control in my 484, my most recent purchase.  The pickguard had binding assembly glue on the sides and covering the underside of guard. Also, the dot inlays on the fingerboard are off center and out of line.  I’m not sure I will buy another Eastman. The 484 is my 4th

check out the section of pickguard laying on the 11 the fret

[Image: 37OmaAJ.jpg]

After an hour of sanding and polishing

[Image: TpWxYhH.jpg]

off center 

[Image: 6PeekiJ.jpg]

[Image: zsr0pRe.jpg]
I'm with you, for an expensive guitar that's just unacceptable. That said, I would've thought the rout for those small inlays were done with cnc and not by hand.  In the weirdest way, it's neat that you can see it.
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
The dots on my 386 look a little like that (although not as acute), but in my case the dots are placed perfectly. The slots in the nut are a little off, skewing the strings. Fortunate, it plays fine. I choose not to look at it.

BTW, this forum has been a wealth of information. Thanks much.

John
(11-27-2020, 10:47 AM)jengstrom Wrote: The dots on my 386 look a little like that (although not as acute), but in my case the dots are placed perfectly. The slots in the nut are a little off, skewing the strings. Fortunate, it plays fine. I choose not to look at it.

BTW, this forum has been a wealth of information. Thanks much.

John

Today I took off a tuner to check dimensions and was surprised to find the tuner plate on the back of the headstock filled with wood shavings.  The plate is slightly raised other than the edges that touch the headstock, normal design. That inner section was full of the wood chips.  I can’t figure that out. I did not take any others off.

I almost returned the guitar but it plays great and sounds good so I’m keeping it.
Rad unfortunately sounds like someone didn't clean it out along the production line .
Did you clean it out when reinstalling?
People are people and some take pride and some do not .
Remember what our parents said never but a car built on Friday because the works just want out of there lol.
(11-27-2020, 07:00 PM)Zeiss Wrote: Rad unfortunately sounds like someone didn't clean it out along the production line .
Did you clean it out when reinstalling?
People are people and some take pride and some do not .
Remember what our parents said never but a car built on Friday because the works just want out of there lol.

Yes, I cleaned it out.  I just pulled off the high E, I have lots of those around as spares, so I could check dimensions. At the next string change I will pull off the other tuners and check.  I will also pull out the pickups so I can get a good look inside.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T484? macguitarman 0 1,325 11-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Last Post: macguitarman