T484 / 486 - suitable for country ?
G'day from Australia.
I have been searching for an electric of reasonable quality with wider nut, and happened upon the T484/486's. The reviews I have seen have mostly played jazz / blues style. Will I get a good classic country sound from the SD's ? Thanks in advance.
I’ve owned two T486’s, one with a Bigsby, and I currently have a T484. 

Country sound?  Well, they sure don’t sound like my Telecaster or my two Gretschs.  They remind me much more of my Gibson ES335 I had.

Having said that, I think a person can play country on about anything

My T484

[Image: TzXCi8T.jpg]

I get more twang outta these

[Image: PzAkKFk.jpg][Image: WXqNiWg.jpg]
(01-19-2021, 10:53 PM)Geevesmac Wrote: G'day from Australia.
I have been searching for an electric of reasonable quality with wider nut, and happened upon the T484/486's. The reviews I have seen have mostly played jazz / blues style. Will I get a good classic country sound from the SD's ? Thanks in advance.

Many thanks Rad. I do appreciate your response. I have a '92 Tele Plus, with Lace Sensors, however as a "mature" beginner, I struggle with the string placing, whereas on my Aria D28 copy, with 1 3/4" nut, I do not have any problem. So I started looking for electrics with 1 3/4", and came across the Eastman, which impressed. From going through the Eastman catalogue, the T484 is the only one which appeals, with a narrower bout, and wide nut. I did consider swapping the neck on my Tele but not too keen on that. So I have some thinking to do. Cheers, Greg
I understand wanting wider string spacing, makes sense.  Have you tried guitars with a 1&11/16” nut width.  That gives more room for your fingers but it is not as side as the 1 3/4.

I put a roasted maple Fender neck with a 1&11/16” nut width and 12” radius on my Tele in order to get more finger room.  

You have far more electric options at 1&11/16” than you do at 1&3/4”.  Gretschs are all 1&11/16”

1&3/4” is most common on acoustic guitars.
Thanks Rad. My Tele has 1 11/16. I keep plugging away with it and hopefully I will improve. I will have a look at Gretsch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  T484? macguitarman 0 1,327 11-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Last Post: macguitarman