T185, T186, Romeo... which thinline to get?
I’m seeking advice for my first Eastman purchase. I’m looking for a hollowbody (or semi-hollow without a full center block) that weighs <7 pounds. I really dislike heavy guitars.

I’m studying jazz guitar and love chord melody and solo guitar. I practice mostly unamplified, but — because I live in an apartment building — it’s important that the guitar have presence and be enjoyable to play, but not *too* loud. I love the versatile, warm sound of .012 round wounds with a wound third. I’m also a huge fan of the 80s-90s ECM players like John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny, etc. It’s a sound that I equate with acoustic sustain without overwhelming tinny-ness, and a mellow bass that stops juuuust short of being mushy. I can’t really blaze around eighth notes for hours, and don’t have that sort of interest.

I’ve narrowed it down to these three instruments, as I don’t want a full depth archtop. I’d love any feedback owners could share. Personally, I’d choose based on comfort while sitting down (I’m 6’ tall and play in a semi-Classical guitar style position, but with a strap), and for that clean, mellow tone when playing near the neck pickup. My purchase would involve a compromise somewhere, but whatever comes closest would get my vote.
Jozie likes this post
Looking at the specs, there are some considerations.  The T186 will have a bigger body (16") than the other two, which are 15" (T185) and Romeo (14.75").  All three are solid tops: Romeo is Spruce, and the T185/T186 are both Maple.  And the T185/T186 are both 100% carved, solid Mahogany back/sides, while Romeo is a Mahogany laminate.  All three show Lollar Custom Wound Imperial Humbucker pickups.

I'm sure that others with more knowledge of these guitars will jump in with their thoughts.  But, for me, the T185/T186 are closely matched... obviously just a little more body size on the T186, while the Romeo will have a different feel and play to it with the Spruce top, laminate body, and different body shape.  Nopicknick just posted about his extremely positive Romeo experience, and he's perhaps the only person I've seen who's played one (outside of NAMM).  My guess is that you'd get a little more warmth and sustain with the T185/T186 vs. Romeo (due to solid wood, wood type), but again, I'd defer to others.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
John have you thought about T146 thin hollow jazz box . It's a full size jazz box with a 16" lower bout and has that Woody great sound . I did change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan 59 one sweet sounding axe . The width takes a little bass but to my ear accentuates the clarity. I'm not a jazz player but addicted to guitars and have bought a few . Heritage eagle full size real deal and couldn't get along with it . A hollow body godin nice but no Eastman . After the T146 I want out and got a full size Eastman hollow , sorry can't remember the model . It just didn't sing like the 146. I ran back to the 146 and give it a kiss . I have a 386 , 484 , el-ray 3 sold . Love THINELINE's but when I play a jazz tune as good as they sound they don't sound jazz .
AlanSam likes this post
[Image: Xm3neB4.jpg]

[Image: X5kxKdW.jpg]

Lol now I have things to do and I can't stop playing this guitar
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
This thread inspired me to play my T185MX (unplugged) last night.  I'm trying to get my electric guitars out of my closet, so they get played more often!
Zeiss likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
The T146 has similar overall body dimensions as the T186, 16" x 1 3/4".

I haven’t seen many 146 models available anywhere, so I hadn’t considered it.

(02-19-2020, 08:21 PM)Zeiss Wrote: John have you thought about T146 thin hollow jazz box . It's a full size jazz box with a 16" lower bout and has that Woody great sound . I did change the pickup to a Seymour Duncan 59 one sweet sounding axe . The width takes a little bass but to my ear accentuates the clarity. I'm not a jazz player but addicted to guitars and have bought a few . Heritage eagle full size real deal and couldn't get along with it . A hollow body godin nice but no Eastman . After the T146 I want out and got a full size Eastman hollow , sorry can't remember the model . It just didn't sing like the 146. I ran back to the 146 and give it a kiss . I have a 386 , 484 , el-ray 3 sold . Love THINELINE's but when I play a jazz tune as good as they sound they don't sound jazz .
I'm left handed so buying online is a must for me . If you don't mind buying that way reverb has 5 right handed ones that all look excellent. One is new and priced great . [Image: 2qm7J5I.jpg]

I myself was looking one time for a 184 , settle on a 484. Truthfully I think the 16" makes a better sounding guitar in general . I had a heritage thinline that had the the smaller body , maybe 14 or 15 ? And it was really thin . Gibson hit a home run with the 335 and it's body size for me . I keep buying smaller for comfort and play 16" for sound lol .
Pura Vida likes this post
(02-19-2020, 08:57 AM)Johnmaxie Wrote: I’m seeking advice for my first Eastman purchase. I’m looking for a hollowbody (or semi-hollow without a full center block) that weighs <7 pounds. I really dislike heavy guitars.

I’m studying jazz guitar and love chord melody and solo guitar. I practice mostly unamplified, but — because I live in an apartment building — it’s important that the guitar have presence and be enjoyable to play, but not *too* loud. I love the versatile, warm sound of .012 round wounds with a wound third. I’m also a huge fan of the 80s-90s ECM players like John Abercrombie, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny, etc. It’s a sound that I equate with acoustic sustain without overwhelming tinny-ness, and a mellow bass that stops juuuust short of being mushy. I can’t really blaze around eighth notes for hours, and don’t have that sort of interest.

I’ve narrowed it down to these three instruments, as I don’t want a full depth archtop. I’d love any feedback owners could share. Personally, I’d choose based on comfort while sitting down (I’m 6’ tall and play in a semi-Classical guitar style position, but with a strap), and for that clean, mellow tone when playing near the neck pickup. My purchase would involve a compromise somewhere, but whatever comes closest would get my vote.
I love my T185 but I chose it because I'm short. If your 6' maybe you should go with the T186. I use 12's but Abercrombie used 10's BTW. I know because I got all into him a while ago. I put 10's on but couldn't live with it.
For what you're describing, the spruce top on the Romeo will resonate better than the others.  It should have a bit better warmth unplugged, but sound great plugged in also.  My opinion only.

Bill
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
I play jazz too and I have a Romeo. It's my go-to jazz guitar for most that I do. It's constructed beautifully and it sounds terrific. Mine is strung with TI swing flat wounds and I swapped the wound G for a plain (I don't like that sound much). 

It's hard to describe the Romeo without using cliches, but it sounds warm, has great sustain, but still sounds like an arch top. I also have a T64 which sounds much darker and has more 'thunk', but sometimes lacks a bit sustain if you want to sustain chords in modal pieces. 

The Romeo is extremely comfortable both seated and standing up. Weight and balance are excellent. I also love the fact that it's so compact. I never have to reach as far as I have to with my Tele. I prefer the neck on my T64 and my Tele though. The Romeo is a bit beefy, however, I got used to it. 

Tuning stablity and ease of tuning are so much better than with traditional headstocks. Also, 'vintage' tuners are nice, but the smooth action on the Romeo tuners is better for me any time of the day.

Maybe you have some specific questions?

My post got lost somehow... here's what I wrote: 

I play jazz too and I have a Romeo. It's my go-to jazz guitar for most that I do. It's constructed beautifully and it sounds terrific. Mine is strung with TI swing flat wounds and I swapped the wound G for a plain (I don't like that sound much). 

It's hard to describe the Romeo without using cliches, but it sounds warm, has great sustain, but still sounds like an arch top. I also have a T64 which sounds much darker and has more 'thunk', but sometimes lacks a bit sustain if you want to sustain chords in modal pieces. 

The Romeo is extremely comfortable both seated and standing up. Weight and balance are excellent. I also love the fact that it's so compact. I never have to reach as far as I have to with my Tele. I prefer the neck on my T64 and my Tele though. The Romeo is a bit beefy, however, I got used to it. 

Tuning stablity and ease of tuning are so much better than with traditional headstocks. Also, 'vintage' tuners are nice, but the smooth action on the Romeo tuners is better for me any time of the day.

Maybe you have some specific questions?
Eastman T64
Eastman SB59GB/V
Eastman Romeo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Eastman thinline? tones 27 10,791 02-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: nopicknick