String preferences for mahogany dreads
I realize that string preference is very subjective but I'm going to ask anyway.  I'm about to change the strings on my E6d-tc which is currently strung with XT 80/20 lights. They don't sound bad but I would like to tame the trebles a bit. Wondering if any of you E6/E10 etc. dread owners could offer up any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
I previously owned an E6D and E10D-TC. My preference was for DR Rare 12-54 for mahogany dreads. There are basically phosphor bronze and there are many makes of PBs, but for some reason I like the DR Rare on mahogany.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(03-29-2024, 08:34 AM)Sunriseguy Wrote: I realize that string preference is very subjective but I'm going to ask anyway.  I'm about to change the strings on my E6d-tc which is currently strung with XT 80/20 lights. They don't sound bad but I would like to tame the trebles a bit. Wondering if any of you E6/E10 etc. dread owners could offer up any suggestions. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

You might like the XS coated strings, they have a bit less trebly sound, I prefer them to the XT on my dread and mandolin. I've tried 80/20, PB, coated uncoated and mediums and lights on my E2D, ended up with medium XS 80/20s. You've just got to experiment, although none of them sounded bad.
Martin Monel Retros 12
2021 Eastman E10SS (Mahogany/Adirondack spruce)
2023 Eastman AC522CE-GB (Mahogany/European Spruce) 
E1D owner here - I love the Martin Retro 13s I currently have on it, very mellow and woody; if you want to try those, give them some time to break in, they tend to sound a bit tinny at first.
Only downside: If you need a lot of volume and "cut" for playing with a loud band, those are not the best choice.

Slightly brighter than the Retros, a bit closer to phosphor bronze strings, but still with warmer, mellower trebles: D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings.

Classic phosphor bronze tone, but with a mellower, "broken in" tone: GHS Vintage Bronze.

BTW, since someone mentioned D'Addario XS strings: My experience is the exact opposite - these were some of the harshest, most jangly and strident sounding acoustic strings I ever tried, didn't like them AT ALL!
Eastman E1D, Iris OG, Guild GAD30, The Loar LH300, Harmony H167

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fretboard radius preferences for Acoustic Meathead 3 1,181 07-28-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: TomC
  Do new Eastman dreads come with a hole in the saddle slot for a piezo? navigate40 5 1,325 12-27-2022, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  Eastman SS model Dreads vashondan 16 3,386 08-25-2021, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Silly Moustache