SB55v owners, need help
Hey guys first posts, figured this would be the place to ask. Just picked up this sweet guitar used at a decent price from a local big box store. I got it set up and playing great but only after I did a really good fret level.

Had to take a fair bit off the first 6 frets but only on the low E side. Was kind of odd. Then I sited down the neck and noticed a twist. Maybe it’s only the headstock but the fret level suggests the fretboard also has a twist.

It’s got cracks up the fretboard and a dry streak. I really don’t think this is normal. It plays phenomenal now after the fret level but it’s fairly new(2022) so I just don’t want it to get worse. This thing will be a keeper but I’m kind of worried.

Attached Files

(01-02-2023, 08:55 PM)Dtune Wrote: Hey guys first posts, figured this would be the place to ask. Just picked up this sweet guitar used at a decent price from a local big box store. I got it set up and playing great but only after I did a really good fret level.

Had to take a fair bit off the first 6 frets but only on the low E side. Was kind of odd. Then I sited down the neck and noticed a twist. Maybe it’s only the headstock but the fret level suggests the fretboard also has a twist.

It’s got cracks up the fretboard and a dry streak. I really don’t think this is normal. It plays phenomenal now after the fret level but it’s fairly new(2022) so I just don’t want it to get worse. This thing will be a keeper but I’m kind of worried.
Hey Dtune. I wouldn't worry about that twist too much if it's playing well now (I'm a busy tech in the Philly area btw) A lot of guitars have a bit of a twist to the neck and I'll bet it mostly goes unnoticed. From your post I'm guessing you might not have noticed if you weren't fussy about your action and leveled the frets. One thing I thought I'd mention: leveling the frets without adjusting the truss rod to straighten the neck leads people to remove more material from the frets close to the nut than is necessary. If the neck is back-bowed without the string tension (very common) then your rocker will rock on a fret that isn't actually high. As for the dry area, I'd treat the fingerboard with boiled linseed oil then forget about it. Good luck with your new baby!
Pura Vida, sleigh, AlanSam like this post
Oh yeah I definitely made sure the neck was straight!! I have a notched straight edge and made sure the neck was straight without string tension.

It’s plays extremely well up and down the fretboard. I’ll get some oil for it and get on it. This little guy isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
Pura Vida likes this post