Romeo
(07-18-2019, 07:05 PM)errikwong Wrote: Looks like guitar.com has done a short writeup:

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/eastma...-acoustic/

Is it a full hollow, or semi-hollow? I reckon it's mainly hollow barring the neck joint and bridge/tailpiece area. Speculating for now, happy to be re-educated.

Flat top or archtop? I reckon a very slight arch to the top and back. The bridge pickup ring is slightly curved and there is some indicator in the photography to suggest an arched back as well.

You can study the image here:

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/new_models

My main dislikes?

For USD2199, they could have done fingerboard and f-hole binding, like they do for so many of their other guitars.

Stylistically, the lower horn looks weird; I reckon if they shortened it slightly to protrude no farther beyond the 17th fret, it would look a lot more balanced. But I'm just nitpicking here.

One thing I do like: that headstock. Straighter string pull, but the revised 'small' headstock has already brought the other models closer to that, so I do wonder why they didn't just reuse the same shape.

+1 on the head I like that, and "F" hole binding? a nit for sure but still there and the mini review claims the neck is mahogany, well I'll bet the Eastman guys got that right calling it maple?

Like some other gits I've owned it "looks" like a flat top which would make a PG a PITA but the controls that far forward are just stupid. Reverend, some PRS,  Fret King and others made the misteak (spelling deliberate) and may not have known that it limits their buying audience. W-H-Y do that? If they really needed room for controls the switch could have easily gone on the horn and the controls taken away from forward of the bridge.

Speaking of Fret King, the Romeo is VERY similar (except the head) to the Fret King Elise and they made the same control location blunder... the main reason I wouldn't even consider the Elise at 1/2 the price of the Romeo.

https://ibb.co/cb2s83p
Regards,

Gary
The Eastman specifications for the AC108CE-LTD are 15" x 4 1/4"... Scale is 25.4"

In CFM terms, that would make it a full scale OM.... ?

Eastman specs say the GA is 16" x 4 1/4".
(07-19-2019, 07:51 AM)Bert Wrote: The Eastman specifications for the AC108CE-LTD are 15" x 4 1/4"... Scale is 25.4"

In CFM terms, that would make it a full scale OM.... ?

Eastman specs say the GA is 16" x 4 1/4".

Thanks Bert. My mistake. I just assumed with the AC and CE it was a GA.
TomC
Gary, for the record.... the Romeo is an hybrid archtop, along the lines of the hybrid ER4.

No archtop player I know of anchors their hand when playing.

The Romeo and ER4 were not made to take the place of an ES335 style guitar.

https://youtu.be/6_hAaXpDXn4
Pura Vida likes this post
The body style seems inspired by the Collings SoCo models, but with different control configuration and placement.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Whoa... like big time whoa... The AC108CE-LTD looks amazing.  I need to start a separate thread on this guitar.
(07-19-2019, 08:45 AM)Bert Wrote: Gary, for the record.... the Romeo is an hybrid archtop, along the lines of the hybrid ER4.

No archtop player I know of anchors their hand when playing.

The Romeo and ER4 were not made to take the place of an ES335 style guitar.

https://youtu.be/6_hAaXpDXn4

Like I said, no gits with controls forward of the bridge were a success, few if any semi's without a PG have or ever will be a big seller. 

Who was talking about archtops?
Regards,

Gary
(07-19-2019, 09:51 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: The body style seems inspired by the Collings SoCo models, but with different control configuration and placement.

Yes, I see that too - even the headstock - but with Otto D.'s original touches. Again, must point out my ignorance about electrics. But, aren't the Collings SoCo and this Romeo sort of variations on a 335 theme? That's how it seems to me anyway, and Bert, these may be referred to as archtop hybrids, but when I think "archtop," I imagine something with a depth of more than 1.75".
gnappi likes this post
(07-19-2019, 11:21 AM)eastmanschool Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 09:51 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: The body style seems inspired by the Collings SoCo models, but with different control configuration and placement.

Yes, I see that too - even the headstock - but with Otto D.'s original touches. Again, must point out my ignorance about electrics. But, aren't the Collings SoCo and this Romeo sort of variations on a 335 theme? That's how it seems to me anyway, and Bert, these may be referred to as archtop hybrids, but when I think "archtop," I imagine something with a depth of more than 1.75". 
Yup, because a Les Paul or 335 "HAS" an arched top doesn't "MAKE" them an archtop. IMO, "Generally" fully hollow bodied gits with an arched top are referred to the by top construction.
Regards,

Gary
Eastman is who was talking about archtops?  Eastman already has electric models that are ES335 types.

[Image: LStt1HR.jpg]