Planning on buying a T386, what can I expect?
For anyone still active on this thread, I want to say that I have now orderd an eastman T386 and will most likely get it on monday. I will probably create a new thread when it arrives and give you my honest review. I am also going to use it on my next big live preformance which is at the end of october, this will be recorded and I can send a video to anyone intressted in how it sound live and how it cuts through the mix.
//Görn
AlanSam, Zeiss, eastmanschool like this post
Glad to hear it!  I wanted to jump on this thread and say that I also bought a t386 a while back (December 2020) with full knowledge that the Kent Armstrong pickups were the weak point of the guitar.  I really wanted the 386 because I was a fan of the more understated look of the dot inlays and the not so flamey maple top.  I ended up putting some Lambertones Crema pickups in, and they are PHENOMENAL.This is hands down my favorite guitar, and it plays circles around my friend's Gibson 335.  Can't wait to see how this ages with some more playing hours logged.
Zeiss and AlanSam like this post
(10-15-2021, 08:59 AM)dantheman1017 Wrote:  

I'm going to give a slightly less laudatory opinion. I've owned and played a T386 for a number of years. What I like least about it is the flat, shallow D neck. I kept it because of the general very nice quality (I was coming from a Chinese Ibanez) seemed to outweigh that issue at the time, and I had already returned one to the store I bought it from in the US, where the neck was actually unplayable as it was thinner in the middle than it was near the headstock and the body. I understand building guitars entirely by hand is very noble and all, but machines, at the minimum, ensure consistency. 

The main problem with buying an Eastman, at least here in Switzerland, is that there's very few stores that carry them. And the rare ones that have a few models tend to sell  at inflated  prices, comparable to the Made in Japan equivalents (Yamaha, Ibanez, Seventy-Seven etc.). Also, the frets on my T386 are not perfectly set. I don't think Japanese builds, for instance, suffer any fret issues. Say you need to bring it to a luthier to change the pickup and have the fretwork redone, it isn't such an affordable guitar anymore, IMO, even though the overall quality is there, no doubt.

Last year I ordered an ES-125 replica from Dupont guitars of France, for about $2,500, and the playability is flawless, with perfect neck and fretwork, just in a different class. Buy any of the higher Eastmans anywhere around Europe, and the price is nearly the same. That really gave me pause. The T386 has served me well, but when the time comes to replace it, supposing I still don't want to pay for a Gibson, I'll probably take all of that into account.
Very fair point about Eastman's and frets . But from what I've seen it was a issue but doesn't seem to be on the new models the last year or so. Here in United States in US dollars 386 is very inexpensive around 1,000.
I can agree again and did change my pickups and wiring on the 386 . I did the work myself and had the parts sitting around . The thing that I don't agree is the shallow neck . Mine is a pretty beefy neck like a 59 Les Paul . Not as thick as a 50'$ but much more then a 60's .

I had two Gibson 335's at the time I purchased the 386 . I personally think the Eastman is a better guitar not based on price.