Planning on buying a T386, what can I expect?
Hi!

This is my first post on this forum.

Today I bought a Gretsch G2217 at a local music shop (a rather unplanned purchase), and after twiddiling for hours on it I've come to the conclusion that I am going to return it and try to get my hands on a guitar I've been drooling over for the past year or two, the Eastman T386.

Most threads and videos I've seen were uploaded a couple of years ago and I just wanted to ask someone with experience what I am to expect. I've heard people compare it with a gibson Es-335 and claimed that it "Out 335:ed the gibson-335" both in feel and sound. Is that still a reasonable claim with the newer guitars or has the quality of the guitars decreased over the years? Really looking forward for your thoughts on this.

Regarding the pickups I've heard both people adoring them and people that really dislike them. What I've understood is that they are very bright sounding almost like a single-coil. Is this something any other owners has noticed? I currently own a Japanese Fender stratocaster from 1987 with a system 1 bridge, and it is probably one of the brightest strats I've ever played. So I am looking for something warmer sounding. And if people are arguing that a pick up change is necessary, will I be better off spending a little more money on the T486? I can add that I mostly play jazz, fusion and blues, and if this is like a regular 335-style guitar I assume it can handle some gain for some Eric Johnson or Gary moore style gigs.

The final thing I want to ask is about the pots. I am not that well-read when it comes to potentiometers but what I've come to understand is that they effect how precise your tone and volume knobs are. And what I've heard is that Eastman tend to cheap out in this department and that the tone knobs gives you either a very muddy sound or a super bright (as I've said before) almost a single-coil sound. Any thoughts or opinions?

Looking forward to any answers that hopefully helps me make a wise purchase!

-Görn
Welcome Görn! I am not knowledgeable about electric guitars, but I am sure some of our members will offer their thoughts on this subject.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I apologize if I’m wrong, but I suspect you are relatively new to electric guitars and you read on the Internet or here about bad pots in Eastman’s.  I’ve owned 4 Eastman thinlines, 2 486’s, a 484 and currently a 386 and I have a Romeo in shipment to me as I type this. 

Not one of those guitars have given me any trouble, including the pots. I know a bit about those having re-wired and put in new pots in a couple non Eastman guitars.

The Eastman is without question the very best bang for the buck 335 type guitar available today.  I’ve owned a  Gibson 335.  

Buy it, you absolutely won’t regret it.  

One thing to keep in mind, Gretsch has a 1 & 11/16” width nut, the Eastman has a 1 3/4” nut. Both have a 12” radius fingerboard. Will that matter to you?
I have a T386 and love it. I haven’t had any trouble with the pots. As for the sound, here is a link to a Youtube vid comparing the T386 to a T486 and a T59. In this video, I like the sound of the T486 the best, but my T386 sounds great too. Remember, you can not only adjust the tone with the knobs, you can also raise the poles in the pickups to be a little hotter. I have raised my neck PU about a half turn on each pole. If I decide some day that I want T486 pickups, I’ll switch them. That’s the beauty of electrics: you can mod them to death if you want without damaging anything. You can’t switch tops on an acoustic.

I traded a Les Paul for my T386 and I’m glad I did, even though the Gibson was a very nice guitar. I like the Eastman better. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xk7i2iVgrk

John
(08-11-2021, 05:09 PM)Rad Wrote: I apologize if I’m wrong, but I suspect you are relatively new to electric guitars and you read on the Internet or here about bad pots in Eastman’s.  I’ve owned 4 Eastman thinlines, 2 486’s, a 484 and currently a 386 and I have a Romeo in shipment to me as I type this. 

Not one of those guitars have given me any trouble, including the pots. I know a bit about those having re-wired and put in new pots in a couple non Eastman guitars.

The Eastman is without question the very best bang for the buck 335 type guitar available today.  I’ve owned a  Gibson 335.  

Buy it, you absolutely won’t regret it.  

One thing to keep in mind, Gretsch has a 1 & 11/16” width nut, the Eastman has a 1 3/4” nut. Both have a 12” radius fingerboard. Will that matter to you?

Good to hear that the rumors I've heard might have been over exaggerated by someone who compares it to their 6000£ Custom shop gibson. When you mention the width nut I am well aware and frankly excited to have more space between the strings, since I play a lot of chord melodies.

I've been playing now for almost 5 years and has been preforming quiet a lot and I am now soon to begin my final year at a music high school. So I can safely say that I can tell where the manufacturer has cheaped out, And since I've never played nor seen/held any Eastman guitar before I just want to make sure I don't buy something I won't like.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Görn

(08-11-2021, 07:17 PM)jengstrom Wrote: I have a T386 and love it. I haven’t had any trouble with the pots. As for the sound, here is a link to a Youtube vid comparing the T386 to a T486 and a T59. In this video, I like the sound of the T486 the best, but my T386 sounds great too. Remember, you can not only adjust the tone with the knobs, you can also raise the poles in the pickups to be a little hotter. I have raised my neck PU about a half turn on each pole. If I decide some day that I want T486 pickups, I’ll switch them. That’s the beauty of electrics: you can mod them to death if you want without damaging anything. You can’t switch tops on an acoustic.

I traded a Les Paul for my T386 and I’m glad I did, even though the Gibson was a very nice guitar. I like the Eastman better. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xk7i2iVgrk

John

I'm glad to hear that!

I am most likely going to get my hands on a T386 now when I pretty much only hear good things about it. And you're right I can always just adjust the guitar to my liking and feel wise I am not worried at all when it comes to Eastman. I am not that picky when it comes to feels, in my opinon you work around it and you play differently and try to adapt. And people I've talked to has compared it to a custom shop gibson and epiphone japanese elitist.

But since I wont have the ability to try one out before I spend 1200£ on it I want to make sure that I know what I am buying.

Thanks for replying!

Görn
Rad likes this post
I am sure you will love the 386 it is a very versatile guitar.  Remember that good humbuckers should sound like a beefy singly coil pick up.  You can EQ the sound you like.  Eastman uses CTS 500k pots, which are pretty much industry standard.  Personally, I rarely adjust the tone pots and usually leave them wide open, but I have not had any difficulties with my Eastman.

In my opinion there is no point comparing the Eastman to the Gibson.  The Eastman is a great guitar on its own merits.
(08-13-2021, 05:55 PM)Lukew Wrote: I am sure you will love the 386 it is a very versatile guitar.  Remember that good humbuckers should sound like a beefy singly coil pick up.  You can EQ the sound you like.  Eastman uses CTS 500k pots, which are pretty much industry standard.  Personally, I rarely adjust the tone pots and usually leave them wide open, but I have not had any difficulties with my Eastman.

In my opinion there is no point comparing the Eastman to the Gibson, there is no point.

Yeah, I think you're right. I've even talked to the people at the store where I am planning on buying it from and they say "If you aren't happy with it, you can just send it back". I also fear that I might be overthinking it, trying to get a guitar without any flaws, when there is no guitar without flaws. And I guess that it's the guitars flaws that makes it suitable for other styles of music.

I'm just waiting to get my salary so I can make my purchase.

-Görn
Lukew and AlanSam like this post
Gorn , welcome
I haven't been on here for awhile and glad I saw! Your post . I've had Gibson 335's and have a 386 . I found the pickups to be underwhelming but the guitar quality great. You may find the 1 3/4 a little hard to adjust to . Comparison modern fenders and almost all Gibsons I've had are 1 11/16 . I love the Eastman with a change of pickups , still wish it was 1 11/16 . I think your buying new , maybe save up a few hundred more and get the 486 with much MUCH better pickups. Good luck and don't forget to come back with a review
(08-15-2021, 10:59 AM)Görn Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 05:55 PM)Lukew Wrote: I am sure you will love the 386 it is a very versatile guitar.  Remember that good humbuckers should sound like a beefy singly coil pick up.  You can EQ the sound you like.  Eastman uses CTS 500k pots, which are pretty much industry standard.  Personally, I rarely adjust the tone pots and usually leave them wide open, but I have not had any difficulties with my Eastman.

In my opinion there is no point comparing the Eastman to the Gibson, there is no point.

Yeah, I think you're right. I've even talked to the people at the store where I am planning on buying it from and they say "If you aren't happy with it, you can just send it back". I also fear that I might be overthinking it, trying to get a guitar without any flaws, when there is no guitar without flaws. And I guess that it's the guitars flaws that makes it suitable for other styles of music.

I'm just waiting to get my salary so I can make my purchase.

-Görn 

Don't think of them as flaws, think of them as characteristics.  I have three Eastman guitars and for what it's worth, I don't even think of other guitars in comparison.  That is not a criticism of other guitars by the way, but I am happy with what I have and that is enough.  Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will love it.
(08-15-2021, 06:48 PM)Zeiss Wrote: Gorn , welcome
I haven't been on here for awhile and glad I saw! Your post . I've had Gibson 335's and have a 386 . I found the pickups to be underwhelming but the guitar quality great. You may find the 1 3/4 a little hard to adjust to . Comparison modern fenders and almost all Gibsons I've had are 1 11/16 . I love the Eastman with a change of pickups , still wish it was 1 11/16 . I think your buying new , maybe save up a few hundred more and get the 486 with much MUCH better pickups. Good luck and don't forget to come back with a review

When it comes to the nut width I am pretty sure I will be able to adjust, since chord playing is such a big part of what I do musically (and since I have above average hand size) I don't worry about it. I've thought about waiting a little longer so I can afford the T486, but aesthetically I much more prefer the more simple T386 (not a big fan of flamed tops on 335s), and I can always choose to switch the pick ups, all though that would be some extra work.

The thing I am most worried about is that the store may send me one that just underperforms in comparison to the other ones they have, and that I will in that sense get a bad impression on the brand. But that's probably just me being irrational.

I will definitely post a review and maybe a video on my thoughts when I get my hands on it.

Thanks for the help!

-Görn
AlanSam likes this post