Pickup control vibration
Exclamation 
Hope there is some experience of this issue on here, can’t find any on the WebTube!

I have an L R Baggs Lyric pickup in my E10SS. I installed it myself about three years ago now. The sound hole volume control started to resonate/vibrate about two months ago. At first I thought it might be cabling inside, although I was careful not to have hanging wires, so double checked those, the battery pouch and the under saddle mic itself - all secure.

The volume control was the last thing I suspected. Stuck firmly to the underside of the sound hole but that was what was vibrating on certain notes (E, A & D mostly). I removed it, cleaned it and the residual glue on the underside, applied the spare adhesive and for good measure relocated it from about 11 o/clock to 12 o/clock position. Fine… for a fortnight!!

Now the vibration is back! New adhesive patch, new position. Could it be the control itself? Presence is turned all the way down, could that loosen something inside?

Anyone else experienced this?

Attached Files

Hey Isaac - sorry to hear you are dealing with an annoying issue. Based on what you've shared, I'd guess perhaps something small broke off in the volume control? If you shake the control, do you hear anything bouncing around inside? Are there any screws to tighten?

Did you double check when you had the volume control removed that the vibration was gone (helping to narrow it down to the VC?) 

Just some of my thoughts... hope you can figure it out!
isaacsmiff and sleigh like this post
Big Grin 
Thanks for the thoughts on this. Sorry for the delay in reply but had to wait for string change to be necessary (they’re expensive!) to pick it all apart.

Removed and reapplied the volume control with pads supplied by LRB but same problem persisted and even got worse. So… I bought a Journeytek transducer pickup (like the K&K but cheaper) and swapped it out!

The sound isn’t as natural, it’s exactly like the K&K so no real complaints, but the vibrations have gone! The LRB volume module had no loose parts, i can only assume that the sensitivity and liveliness of the soundboard were too much for anything to be stuck onto it?? Weird one. Solved, but not how I’d hoped.
Isaac -- did you contact LR Baggs about the issue and see if they had an thoughts on the cause and solution?
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
(03-05-2024, 08:42 AM)sleigh Wrote: Isaac -- did you contact LR Baggs about the issue and see if they had an thoughts on the cause and solution?

I didn't.... should do I guess. They previously sent me a whole new set of adhesive pads when I had to reposition it and used the last spare. I'll get on to them and let you know what they say.
Had a reply from LRB. Can’t fault their customer service!

Their suggestion is to try repositioning the module, checking the wires for contact points with the body other than through the pads, and checking the module isn’t touching the edge of the sound hole. All good advice… all already done Sad

Finally they say to send the unit back to them and they’ll check it over. Since posting this post however, my son needed a pickup in his E1OM-L… sooooo…. Yes, I experimented with his guitar as a transplant patient and so far so good.

Maybe the smaller body produces less vibration? Maybe it will be ok for a couple of years and then do the same..? (Do 3M pads have a limited life span??)

Anyway. Unresolved, but resolved for now. Thanks for reaching out with advice guys.
sleigh and AlanSam like this post