Otto D'Ambrosio interview
Since it's 2+ years old, I'm guessing this has already been shared on the other Eastman forum. But I only stumbled upon it last night.

Very interesting (and honest) Eastman content about halfway through.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast...dambrosio/
Pura Vida likes this post
es, thanks so much, I had never run across that interview, goodly. So interesting hearing him talk about the Beijing factory, the talented carvers/luthiers and language barrier.

I did not know that he was working out of the Pomona facility, how cool. He built Julian Lage's custom archtop a while back, that says a bunch. Great story for how he taught his luthierie to the talented, dedicated builders in Beijing and also Pomona. His hybrid El Rey 4 design is the best ever for me.

Very worthwhile listen to anyone who loves Eastman. bert
Thanks, EMS. I have it streaming now.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(11-01-2018, 12:27 PM)Bert Wrote: He built Julian Lage's custom archtop a while back, that says a bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7-067Gu2Q
That was a really great interview. I didn’t know much about him, aside from working previously for Guild in RI, but I like how he mentioned playing punk rock as a teen, when he applied for his first job. Sometimes it’s good to bring a little rebelliousness into a job, in order to inspire some creativity. I like how he and Eastman are thinking long-term and not rushing into ventures without any forethought. And it’s interesting that the flattop facility is a little more advanced than the main facility in Beijing, where the archtops are made. Lots of information nuggets in the second half of the interview.

Thanks again for finding this interview and sharing it on the EGF.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
[Image: 0zVuH7n.jpg]
Really interesting interview with Otto D'Ambrosio, and what a genuinely humble man he is (maybe this is a trait of master luthiers - I like to think so). I was thinking about his reference to the flat top guitar production process having shifted a bit towards the use of power tools - saws and routers were mentioned - and was wondering whether the fairly recent improvement in standardisation and consistent quality mentioned in a number of posts might be in part down to this? Maybe a lot of us are a bit too sniffy about the use of automation in the production of guitar components. If Taylor reset/re-programmed their machinery to produce Eastman pattern parts with Eastman's materials (obviously this is totally hypothetical), and sent them to Eastman's shops in China to be hand assembled and finished - would in principle the currency of Eastman guitars be devalued? And if so why?
hypothetical? Labor cost is the major factor in guitar building. The bean counters at Taylor or Eastman Pomona, with California cost of living, look for ways to be more efficient. Taylor (probably) has the highest efficiency rating in the business today. Beijing labor cost is less because the cost of living there is much less.

i.e., carving a stringed instrument neck is very complex 3D geometry. For consistency - much preferably done by a cnc machine. Power tools are the only way to go for many of the building processes.

Don't need an air hammer to crack nuts, best practices are the key to stay in business.

The fine luthier skills that people like Otto bring to guitars players dream instruments is not made by cookie cutter (cnc) machines is my experience. bert
(11-04-2018, 09:37 AM)Bert Wrote: hypothetical? Labor cost is the major factor in guitar building. The bean counters at Taylor or Eastman Pomona, with California cost of living, look for ways to be more efficient. Taylor (probably) has the highest efficiency rating in the business today. Beijing labor cost is less because the cost of living there is much less.

i.e., carving a stringed instrument neck is very complex 3D geometry. For consistency - much preferably done by a cnc machine. Power tools are the only way to go for many of the building processes.

Don't need an air hammer to crack nuts, best practices are the key to stay in business.

The fine luthier skills that people like Otto bring to guitars players dream instruments is not made by cookie cutter (cnc) machines is my experience. bert
Yes Bert - hypothetical. Incidently, I have nurtured an interest in economics since before I obtained my first degree in the subject, and am aware of what a relatively low wage economy is, its causes and consequences. But that's by the by, what I was getting at is the extent to which automated processes can be harnessed, in particular but not exclusively by Eastman, to produce excellent guitars. I was interested to hear you endorse the use of cnc machines (aka cookie cutters), maybe Eastman will eventually move in that direction. And yes, I would very much like a guitar made for me by Otto D'Ambrosio, but failing that I will go with standard issue Eastmans, where at least he has had some input (albeit mostly in the area of arch tops I would guess).
By the way, thanks for the input re the Guild D55 I was looking at. I decided against buying it (500 mile, 12 hour round trip to get hands on - which as you suggested is a good idea with a 2005 Guild) and instead opted for a used 2018 E8D - bought from and set up to my specification by a luthier (who by the way said he wouldn't touch a Guild for a neck reset ha ha). Some might say I am spending too much on guitars but hey, I plan to take them with me to Guitar Heaven if and when I die (hope it doesn't turn out to be a Gibson franchise). regards, Alan
Alan, congratulations on the E8D, I doubt that you will miss the Guild.

Before I retired, I used to own my own company specializing in CAE, CAD/CAM. I also worked for a high profile mechanical engr software developer. CNC is the best way to go for a number of guitar parts -- necks, bridges, neck&end blocks, etc. But, the handwork carving the braces, tone tapping, etc is what makes a great guitar. Today, some major builders go too far with automation trying to meet the numbers..... imo.

Guys like Otto win my respect like no other. In addition to being a great luthier, he has great imagination/vision... did I say El Rey 4. oh bingo yes

btw, I would never discourage someone from buying an additional guitar. bert

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Eastman D’Ambrosio Series - new in 2024 tprince79 6 1,917 01-26-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: TomC