OM necks
Currently I have only one acoustic a Cort I got about 12 years ago.  Dreadnought sitka top and solid hog sides and back.  It sounds great, but I am now a little old man and it feels like i am holding a mattress.   Plus I am attempting to learn fingerstyle.  Hence the search.

I recently got to play some Eastman acoustics,  they were beautiful.  Unfortunately, I can't report much on the sound as it was Saturday afternoon in a store in Mesa AZ and the place was packed, even the high end acoustic room.  However, I liked what I did hear and see.  Now the problem ,they were AC something or other, one was about $1000 and the other about 1500.  My problem with them was the neck, both seemed really thick and both had a high gloss finish, so both were sticky.   I really like shiny but prefer satin necks and short scales. 

Looking at the specs on the Eastman site it looks like all of them have the same neck "traditional even C".  Can any of you shed some light on this, do the E OM models have satin or gloss.  The AC's were great and I like cutaways, too bad.
My other search to find and play is a Yamaha FS3 or 5 Red Label.  Any thoughts on those would be appreciated also.

Thanks
SasquatchLife likes this post
Welcome Ralphy
Can’t speak on the Yamahas, but check out the Eastman models with SS in the model number. The nuts are narrower (1.69 vs 1.75) and the necks tend to be thinner. Specifically I would try the E10 00SS, E10 00SS/v or the E20 00SS. there were also some limited runs of E1 with and without cutaways. I am not sure if they are current models. Check with Brian at Sun Valley Guitars in Surprise. Excellent reputation and very helpful

Finally - the neck can be made satin/matte if that is your preference regardless of original finish. A little 0000 steel wool or 1500-3000 grit sand paper will do the trick. Also I have a recent E6OM that the neck is more of a matte finish than high gloss. Happy guitar hunting!
Pura Vida likes this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
(01-23-2023, 05:31 PM)Ralphy Wrote: Currently I have only one acoustic a Cort I got about 12 years ago. Dreadnought sitka top and solid hog sides and back. It sounds great, but I am now a little old man and it feels like i am holding a mattress. Plus I am attempting to learn fingerstyle. Hence the search.

I recently got to play some Eastman acoustics, they were beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't report much on the sound as it was Saturday afternoon in a store in Mesa AZ and the place was packed, even the high end acoustic room. However, I liked what I did hear and see. Now the problem ,they were AC something or other, one was about $1000 and the other about 1500. My problem with them was the neck, both seemed really thick and both had a high gloss finish, so both were sticky. I really like shiny but prefer satin necks and short scales.

Looking at the specs on the Eastman site it looks like all of them have the same neck "traditional even C". Can any of you shed some light on this, do the E OM models have satin or gloss. The AC's were great and I like cutaways, too bad.
My other search to find and play is a Yamaha FS3 or 5 Red Label. Any thoughts on those would be appreciated also.

Thanks

I'm pretty positive that all of the Eastman E series have satin necks. All E OMs I've played and purchased from Eastman have had satin necks. Good luck in your search.
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
(01-23-2023, 06:45 PM)TomC Wrote: Welcome Ralphy
Can’t speak on the Yamahas, but check out the Eastman models with SS in the model number. The nuts are narrower (1.69 vs 1.75) and the necks tend to be thinner. Specifically I would try the E10 00SS, E10 00SS/v or the E20 00SS. there were also some limited runs of E1 with and without cutaways. I am not sure if they are current models. Check with Brian at Sun Valley Guitars in Surprise. Excellent reputation and very helpful

Finally - the neck can be made satin/matte if that is your preference regardless of original finish. A little 0000 steel wool or 1500-3000 grit sand paper will do the trick. Also I have a recent E6OM that the neck is more of a matte finish than high gloss. Happy guitar hunting!
  Thanks Tom.
I did talk to Brian while in the Phoenix area.  I agree he is very helpful, unfortunately, we could not get to together due to scheduling differences.
(01-23-2023, 07:09 PM)SasquatchLife Wrote:
(01-23-2023, 05:31 PM)Ralphy Wrote: Currently I have only one acoustic a Cort I got about 12 years ago. Dreadnought sitka top and solid hog sides and back. It sounds great, but I am now a little old man and it feels like i am holding a mattress. Plus I am attempting to learn fingerstyle. Hence the search.

I recently got to play some Eastman acoustics, they were beautiful. Unfortunately, I can't report much on the sound as it was Saturday afternoon in a store in Mesa AZ and the place was packed, even the high end acoustic room. However, I liked what I did hear and see. Now the problem ,they were AC something or other, one was about $1000 and the other about 1500. My problem with them was the neck, both seemed really thick and both had a high gloss finish, so both were sticky. I really like shiny but prefer satin necks and short scales.

Looking at the specs on the Eastman site it looks like all of them have the same neck "traditional even C". Can any of you shed some light on this, do the E OM models have satin or gloss. The AC's were great and I like cutaways, too bad.
My other search to find and play is a Yamaha FS3 or 5 Red Label. Any thoughts on those would be appreciated also.

Thanks

I'm pretty positive that all of the Eastman E series have satin necks. All E OMs I've played and purchased from Eastman have had satin necks. Good luck in your search. 

Well, my 2019 E8OM has a rather glossy neck. Not as smooth as satin but not sticky either.
SasquatchLife likes this post
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
(01-23-2023, 07:09 PM)SasquatchLife Wrote:

Thanks

They vary.  Some I've had have been satin, some have been gloss.  Some thinner, some really thick.  Sometimes on the same model!
I think all e series that are 6 or above are gloss finish.
I will say that Eastman necks are all a little different.
They don’t use a CNC machine to carve the neck, they are done by hand so they can all be a little different.
I have personally played three E6D models at the same time and one was defiantly a little less thick than the other two.
Robert
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman
2016 E40d
2021 E6D-TC Alpine Swiss top
Martin
2003 D41 Special
2003 D18
1998 SPD-16R
1970 0018
Gibson
2016 J-15