New member, Cornwall UK
Hi, another newbie. I’m Mike and I have a F814 mandolin from 2005. I previously had an Eastman Octave mandolin and a F615 which I didn’t bond with.
im after a small bodied 12 fret acoustic but it needs a wide fingerboard. I have a Blueridge BR341 which is the right size, plays ok but I not in love with the tone. I’ve had it 10 years and it was my main gigging guitar but it’s time for a change.
cheers Mike
btw my main mandolin is a National. Resophonic RM1, it’s a fantastic instrument!

The back is even nicer!
Timelessdrifter and AlanSam like this post

Attached Files

Welcome, Mike. I just completed working on a interstitial novella for George RR Martin's WILD CARD series. The book is set in Cornwall, and is currently with our editors. The book is t​​​​​​itled HOUSE RULES, but as this point, there's no firm publication date.  Anyway, welcome to the EGF and I hope you find this a useful and friendly haven. Welcome!

Hmm... I've kinda lusted after an Eastman Octave Mando for awhile now, but haven't pulled the trigger on it (the problem with having a semi-fixed income at this point...)
AlanSam, Timelessdrifter, Meathead like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Hey Mike - welcome! Regarding a small bodied Eastman - there are some options. Have you considered an E10OO model?

CHeers!
Timelessdrifter and sleigh like this post
Mike
Welcome. I think your are a man after Silly Moustache's heart - 12 fret, wide nut. I would recommend the E20 00 or E10 00 or either of the parlors E10P and E20P. The 10s are mahogany and the 20s are rosewood. Here is a video you might find educational:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoTLQL7AaE
Or an updated version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZOTW1vp67c

Good luck with the search and welcome again.
Tom
AlanSam, Timelessdrifter, sleigh, Meathead like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
DittoTom. Personally I have a stellar E20P, and as for your gigging maybe look at the used market? Do keep us informed of progress.
Timelessdrifter and sleigh like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
(02-23-2024, 09:58 AM)Mike Shipman Wrote: im after a small bodied 12 fret acoustic but it needs a wide fingerboard. I have a Blueridge BR341 which is the right size, plays ok but I not in love with the tone. I’ve had it 10 years and it was my main gigging guitar but it’s time for a change.
cheers Mike

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

I can recommend the E10OO-TC (or E10OO if you're not interested in the torrified top). It has a 1 13/16 nut width and a rounded back. It's a handful, and if you like chunky necks, you'll love Eastman's 12-fret series.

It makes for a great fingerpicking guitar, but I've found that it's a great one for flat picking too. I love mine. It's roughly the same size as a parlor, with a slightly larger lower bout. VERY comfortable couch guitar :-)

Hope this helps!

PS - stunning mandolin. That back is gorgeous!
Meathead likes this post
PRS SE P20 Parlor
PRS SE P50E Parlor
Eastman E10OO-TC 12-fret
Eastman E6OM-TC
Electric: Too many!