New Eastman PCH1-D
I am going to post a few comments on the Eastman PCH1-D.  I ordered the guitar through Alto Music on 09/28/2021 and finally received on 08/25/2022...almost 11 months to the day.  I think the lead time was actually longer than 11 months though, because Alto had placed an order for PCH1-Ds (for stock) with Eastman before I ordered mine.  Interestingly, the street price has increased from $279 to $349 during this period, and I was not asked to pay the higher price.  I also received 15% in "Alto Bucks," store credit.

My other 2 Eastman guitars (solid wood) that I purchased previously had a red sticker on the shipping carton, stating the package should acclimate for 24 hours prior to opening.  The PCH1-D did not have such a notice.  I wonder that is because of the laminate construction, or possibly due to the fact that it was shipped and received in the summer season.

I bought this guitar for traveling by car, playing around with my grand kids (who can be a bit rough on an instrument), campfires, etc.  The guitar arrived in excellent condition.  The action was medium...0.100" on the low E and 0.070" on the high e (at the 12th fret), with 0.006" of relief, a good general setup. The appearance is really nice; the ovangkol fretboard and bridge give a different look than the ebony on my other Eastmans, and I kind of like it. 

The Eastman website states the strings are D'Addario .012-.053 #EXP16 (coated). Looking at them along side the EJ16 strings (uncoated) on my other guitars, they look identical.  Based on this, I question whether the strings on the PCH1-D are actually EXP16.  

There have been statements made on here that the workmanship on the PCH series is inferior to the rest of the Eastman line.  With that in mind, I looked the guitar over carefully.  Everything looked perfect to my eye, except for one thing:  The neck is maple and the fretboard is ovangkol.  Where the two meet, they apparently mask the ovangkol when staining the maple neck.  Some stain has seeped through to the side edge of the ovangkol fretboard, interrupting what should be a straight line.  I will try to attach some pictures later.  Not a big deal on such an inexpensive guitar, but it does support the statement that the workmanship may be of a lower standard.

The nut and saddle appear to be bone, as claimed, and the bridge pins are plastic.

I did order some bone bridge pins.  This guitar does not come with a pickup.  I upgraded my other Eastmans to the LR Baggs Anthem pickups.  I am planning to install the LR Baggs Element pickup (removed from the AC422CE) in the PCH1-D; this will involved drilling some holes which I didn't have to do when upgrading my other guitars (ugh!).  At that time I will lower the action.

So how does it sound?  Well, if you just play it by itself, it sounds ok.  But if you play it back to back with a solid wood guitar, you immediately recognize a huge difference.  Comparatively, the sound is thin without much low end.  I found myself changing my playing style a bit to hit the lower strings a little more and a little harder.  

For my purposes, the PCH1-D is perfect.  If however, I were a beginner looking for an upgrade from my first guitar, I would save up for an all wood Eastman guitar.

CJ

Edit: The SN is M2205188.  The guitar was possibly manufactured in July.  So, one might assume guitars are serialized consecutively and estimate that Eastman is on track to make over 10,000 acoustic guitars this year.

The intonation is spot on.  I switched the bridge pins to bone, which seems to have helped the tone a bit.  It is hard to say without a recording for an A-B comparison.

I attached pics showing the where the stain bled through the masking (or maybe it is brushed on?") onto the side edges of the Ovangkol fretboard.
Aahzz, Pura Vida, sleigh, AlanSam, TomC like this post

Attached Files

.jpg
File size: 96.12 KB
Downloads: 76

Congratulations, glad it finally turned up! As you say pics would be good, but good review anyway.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Thanks for the thorough evaluation, CJ. It seems the PCH is just what you needed.

Very good of Alto to honour the original price; it is a significant increase, percentage wise.

Rod
Congrats on the new PCH (finally) and all the insightful details.  Definitely seems perfect for what you need and good to get the comparison to the solid wood Eastman guitars.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
I realized the reason the sound is thinner than an all wood guitar is the sustain is just not as good.  The sound drops off more quickly than an all wood guitar.

I attached some pics.  Nothing special, just the least expensive guitar that Eastman makes.  Still, it is beautiful.  Hard to believe they can manufacture this guitar, pay ocean freight to ship it half way around the world, and everyone makes money.

CJ

Edit, oh, I added the bone bridge pins with the abalone centers.  The stock pins where white plastic with a black dot.

Attached Files

Thumbs Up 
good review, thank you. congrats!
OK, I have had this PCH1-D guitar for almost 3 weeks, and I have to correct some misconceptions I had in my previous posts.  

There is a good bit of sustain, contrary to what I erroneously stated previously. 

When I received the new guitar, it had new strings, of course, and was very bright (as would be expected).  That overwhelmed the low end.  Now that the initial brightness has worn off, the low end is pretty well balanced.

The sound is definitely not as full/warm as my two solid wood grand auditoriums AC-222CE-OV and AC422CE.  It is significantly louder though.  I have not really played dreadnoughts in the past, but from what I had read, this was expected.

In my initial posts, I described the tone as "OK."  I would upgrade that to "GOOD."

I would still say though, that if I were looking for my one and only best sounding guitar, I think the extra money for the E-1 is worth it.  For my purposes (campfire/travel guitar), this is perfect.

Waiting for double sided tape from LR Baggs to install their Element pickup.  

Edit: One other thing:  The PCH1-D is very light in weight, compared to my other two Eastman guitars.  This may be because the other two have pickups with batteries, or maybe there is something else going on.

CJ
AlanSam and Pura Vida like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PCH1-OM- CLASSIC campacj 7 3,571 01-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: TomC
  PCH1 Contest sleigh 1 911 05-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: Pura Vida