Neck strap on slottet headstock affecting tone?
I have a leather strap attatched to the headstock of my e20 OO. The strap runs under the strings behind the nut and its a bit too thick so the strings push it down a lot. Anyone have an idea if this might be detrimental to the tone? i recon it might? i took a picture but i bot sure how to attatch it…

Attached Files

I'd suggest playing it and seeing if it sounds different....
I wouldn't expect it to affect the tone, since it's behind the nut.  If it shifts and moves the strings around, I could imagine it might affect the tuning.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
thanks for your replies!

ive had it on for a while and did not think about or notice any tonal changes. but now i thought what if, and since it was a bit of a struggle to fit it under the strings i’d rather leave it on if consensus is that it doesn’t affect the tone. ??‍♂️

waiting for an ebony strap button so once that arrives i’ll remove it and listen!
I would never use one of these. Over time I feel it could cause damage with the leverage it will exert on the neck joint. Just because a firms sells these straps doesn't mean they are a good idea - and it's not their guitar to worry about.
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I'm with Alan on this. I've tried a headstock strap; if you put any kind of pressure on it, it pulls the the guitar out of tune in the same way that pulling the neck back or pushing it forward changes the pitch of the strings slightly. I too worry about that style of strap eventually doing something damaging (and expensive) to the neck and/or the headstock. I want my guitars to have a strap button screwed into the heel. Period.
Pura Vida and AlanSam like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I recently acquired an Eastman with a slotted headstock (ac308ce).  On mine, I found I couldn't get even a thin shoelace under the stings because of the sharp angle the strings take toward the tuning pegs, and if I could get it under there I think it would have lifted the strings out of the nut slightly.  I don't know if that would have changed the sound, but I opted to install a strap button on the neck heel.  I've used other guitars with a strap attached at the headstock, and it did not affect tuning or damage the neck, but I find it awkward and less stable.  If yours fits (and you're ok with this from an ergonomics standpoint), and you don't perceive any effect on the sound, I'd say not to worry about it.  But it's no big deal to install a strap button on the neck heel.
Pura Vida likes this post
Hi, most of my flat tops are slotheads, and I make my own straps.

My Eastmans are small body style (E20-P and E40-00 which I'll never need to stand and perform with, but for dreads etc., I do this :

sleigh likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tone tight neck? hardycreek1 8 2,128 05-05-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: hardycreek1