NUGD - 1957 J45
I picked this up about two months back in a trade for a Martin 000-18GE + some cash. I should start with - I really like mahogany. I really like short scale guitars. I really like slope shoulder models. This one makes #4 that I currently have, although one is an Eastman E20SSv with rosewood B&S. 

This is a '57 Gibson J45 in VG to VG+ condition. There is one crack on the top which someone inserted a screw into. Why? I have no idea. The crack is right on top of the brace and is stable. There are no other cracks but it does have the expected bumps and bruises from 65 years of usage. The guitar needed nothing except a very thin shim under the nut as there was some buzzing on the e & B strings. In the future I might get a new nut cut. The adjustable bridge had previously been replaced with a rosewood insert and new bone saddle. It was well done and intonation is spot on. The tuners look original Kluson Deluxe but the buttons may have been replaced as they look to be in too good of condition. There is a patch right below and probably under the pickguard. There is no evidence of the patch on the inside.  There is evidence that the guard was removed but it appears original or at least period correct. I believe in '56 or '57 Gibson went to the batwing guard replacing the tear drop from previous years. There is no evidence it ever had a neck reset. The frets are good but they show signs of being dressed. The fretboard has surprisingly very little to no evidence of indents from playing. It may be a replacement but matches the bridge. 

Why I traded for it? Besides the points above - the tone of this is all Gibson. I have been chasing that tone in my head and have bought and sold many slope dreads/jumbos. I think I have found it. There really is nothing like old wood for tone. It is very balanced with maybe a little more emphasis on the mids. It projects extremely well. It does not seem to have a lot of overtones present. Basically the tone is an exceptional (IMO) example of a Gibson slope shoulder jumbo guitar. This one won't win any beauty contests (and the case was even worse) but it's a guitar that motivates me to keep playing. To be honest, I have basically played nothing else since I got it. It just fits me and what I want to hear out of an acoustic guitar. Pics are attached.
[Image: Eex6fXQ.jpg]
[Image: mestevH.jpg]
[Image: EAAESkY.jpg]
[Image: qgCBI9Z.jpg]
[Image: 7Q6bX64.jpg]
[Image: Koru3x9.jpg]
[Image: qNbjUMT.jpg]
[Image: Gk3zuf3.jpg]
sleigh, AlanSam, Roy like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Well, as you said, she's not going to win any beauty contests with those cosmetic flaws, though that's a handsome burst on the top, and honestly, I expect to see 'wear marks' on a used guitar. They tell me it's been much-loved and played by the previous owner(s).  But looks aren't primarily why we buy guitars. It's the sound, period. Full stop.

Congratulations on finding the sound you've been searching for, Tom!
TomC and AlanSam like this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Fine looking guitar - so much mojo! The dark batwing guard over the sunburst is so integral to that iconic j45 look. But like you I don't understand the use of the screw, although I know where he sourced it - it's the loose one which fell out of his head. That might be unfair - for all I know it might be the best fix?
TomC and sleigh like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Tom, glad you finally found that tone you’ve been searching for. I think she’s a beauty. Enjoy!

Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

(08-14-2023, 10:43 AM)DonO Wrote: Tom, glad you finally found that tone you’ve been searching for. I think she’s a beauty. Enjoy!

Don

Thanks Don as well as others you have commented. I put a set of Daddario Nickels 12-52 and boy does this guitar have that old guitar tone. Even with all of her bumps, bruises, warts and screws she is beautiful to me.
AlanSam, DonO, sleigh like this post
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes