NGD
Hey Gary -

Glad to hear the guitar was ok after being packed in there with so much space left over. Receiving instruments in the mail always makes me nervous, even though it happens all the time. It is particularly worrisome in the winter time... (I can envision a guitar being left in a UPS truck freezing for hours before delivery). That said - not as big a concern here in Phoenix in the winter :)

Kind of funny regarding the Duncan 'Jazz' pickups being the worst named in history. You'd expect them to sound more like their namesake. In addition to being bright, are they more 'high gain' oriented?

The picture looks good - nice blond color. So, aside from the few minor issues you mentioned, are you overall happy with the purchase?
(11-20-2017, 04:03 PM)Meathead Wrote: Hey Gary -

Glad to hear the guitar was ok after being packed in there with so much space left over. Receiving instruments in the mail always makes me nervous, even though it happens all the time. It is particularly worrisome in the winter time... (I can envision a guitar being left in a UPS truck freezing for hours before delivery). That said - not as big a concern here in Phoenix in the winter :)

Kind of funny regarding the Duncan 'Jazz' pickups being the worst named in history. You'd expect them to sound more like their namesake. In addition to being bright, are they more 'high gain' oriented?

The picture looks good - nice blond color. So, aside from the few minor issues you mentioned, are you overall happy with the purchase?

You're right, they ARE minor issues. It's harder to get a git that plays right than one that won't hunt. Dogs are common, pedigrees are not.

I have a "warts and all" approach to new gits. None are perfect, all have issues. I mentioned those because I have no deal breakers on small stuff, and some do. The balance thing threw me for a loop. I had to get my other semis to see if I had somehow missed that in the others and I did not, they balance perfectly. As I said it is easily dealt with... a strap, standing, or positioning it on left leg cures it.

I had a "Jazz" pup in my Sheraton that the PO put in it, so that was not a surprise in the Eastman. I mentioned it because it's such a poorly named pickup and those who want a more mellow sound will have to do some rolling off of the tone and diddling with the EQ or change it outright.

Even though some do, I wouldn't call it a high gain pup.

From the SD site...

"The Jazz Model neck is a bright, vintage-output humbucker which stays clear even under extreme distortion" :-) Nuff said

As far as playing it, I have barely put it down. It's so familiar being the owner of a 335 it just plays nearly identically. It's definitely a keeper. That's saying a lot because a few days before getting the Eastman I received a Les Paul ES, and I have had to purposefully put it down to give the ES some play time, sorta like having harem responsibilities if you take my meaning :-)
Regards,

Gary
I've got a NGD to offer... I got an amazing deal on a T58/v last week. I've been gassing over this model for a long time.

Garcon
Garcon, congrats on the new T58/v. This is a great time to find good deals too!
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Best wishes on your new T58 Garcon, that's what I call a banjo killer. :)
Nice, I have those filtertrons on an Ibanez AS-103 and I love them! Good luck with it.
Regards,

Gary
Well, it's been over a month with the 486 and nothing much has changed, the comments I've already made about it are still valid, but in every measurable way it's a wonderfully crafted git. As a matter of fact in just about every respect it's equal to or better than most comparable Gibson models.

I'm a modified bling kinda player, not flashy exotic abalone and gold slathered about stuff, just tasty binding and subtle appointments do it for me. To get an equivalent "G" branded git you're talking ES-355 for what? FIVE TIMES the cost? Nah. That's a headstock tax I can live without :-)

At any rate even though I have a number of comparable "G" branded semi hollow gits, this one is getting the majority of play time.

My suggestion for anyone wanting a genuine 335 without the cash outlay, this one is as close as you can get. It's 100% familiar in my hands when going from my 1990 335 with the "slim taper" neck.

PS, my comment on it being the ONLY 335 or semi I own or have owned being balanced heavily on the body side was diminished recently as I bought a 335 that is balanced exactly the same, heavy on the body side. It seems as if that's related to selecting a wood density for the center block, weird... go figure.

Regards,

Gary
That's a headstock tax I can live without :-)

Gary, that's the best line I've heard in a looong  time.

How sweet it is.  bert
Headstock tax. Love it, gonna use it.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
(12-15-2017, 11:53 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Headstock tax.  Love it, gonna use it.

Thx, it's actually "Headstock logo tax" as I've used it elsewhere, snobs don't like it much. It is my fave "selfie" definition of stupidly priced high end gits!

Could imagine a maker like Eastman using it as their slogan? It would burn the butts off the Gibson like companies of the world :-)
Regards,

Gary