NGD (Pt.2): E20OM-MR-TC
Earlier this week, my new E20 MR TC guitars arrived.  About a year ago, Eastman announced that they purchased a supply of Madagascar Rosewood, which they were sharing with their partner company, Bourgeois.  Normally, MadRose carries a hefty upcharge, as does a torrified Adi top, but Eastman announced two models with all three features for about $2200 MAP.  I placed my order for the dread immediately, and after I sold a couple of other guitars, I decided to place a pre-order for the OM, as well.

Then, I waited... the original ETA was summer 2022, but like to many things, that timeline slipped into late summer, then fall, and then November.  Finally, last week, these guitars arrived and began to ship to dealers.  I heard that only 20 made it nationwide, and these are from that first batch.

LA Guitar Sales received two of each model, and all four guitars looked incredible.  I had first pick on the dread, and second pick on the OM.  Fortunately, the other OM was selected, so I actually got my preferred pick for each model.  They shipped and arrived about a week ago, but I had an eventful week at work, so I didn't get to do more than open the boxes, inspect the guitars, and eventually change the strings (replacing the coated D'Add strings with DR Rare lights on both).

(Note: I'm creating two NGD threads -- one for each model.  But in case this sounds familiar, I'm keeping the top part the same in each thread)

Beginning with the aesthetics, the top is a little darker and with a wider grain and a little more character than the dread version (see my NGD Pt.1 thread).  But similarly, it's not over-cooked or brittle... just the right amount of toasting.  The back is more of a traditional, medium brown color with some nice figuring.  The build quality is excellent with an ideal setup, smooth Gotoh tuners, and Ebony board and bridge.

This OM has more low end growl than either my E40OM or E20OM-SB (both 5yo), and the body rumbles when I play it.  It begs to be strummed, which makes me very happy.  The TC Adi top provides a clear, dry voice with excellent note separation.  It really responds when I dig in, and although I'm not a fingerstyle player, it sounds sweet, when I ditch the pick too.

I was reluctant to buy this OM b/c I prefer larger body / full scale length guitars, and I already have the two Rosewood/Adi OMs mentioned above.  But this guitar exceeds my expectations (and sonically, sits apart from either of them), so I'm glad I decided to go for it. Like the dread, this OM is going to require more time to get a feel for it, since it's really different than my other OMs (in a really good way).

Finally, thanks to Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales.  They've always been great to work with and kept in touch throughout the extended ordering process.

Here are the obligatory NGD photos:

[Image: 39uV2CF.jpg]

[Image: dZxdkkn.jpg]

[Image: x3V7MJx.jpg]

[Image: vBsSQk8.jpg]

[Image: cWWZbfq.jpg]

[Image: MiCITDf.jpg]

[Image: jLE0qlR.jpg]

[Image: 7NKx6yo.jpg]
Ritchie, TomC, AlanSam, vashondan like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Congrats! This was the review I was looking for!
Pura Vida likes this post
Brian wrote: "This OM has more low end growl than either my E40OM or E20OM-SB (both 5yo), and the body rumbles when I play it.  It begs to be strummed, which makes me very happy." As someone who also prefers a dread to an OM, that's good quite a recommendation!
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Brian, beautiful looking guitar and I’m sure it sounds better than it looks. Thanks for the awesome review.
Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Brian - great review, great pics!
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Thanks again, all.  Steve, I'm still partial to my larger body guitars (dreads, jumbo, GA), but very happy with this one.  I have three Rosewood/Adi Ops, which seems excessive, but I wouldn't be able to decide how to part with one, since they are all so different.  The E40OM is special, so it's not going anywhere.... the E20OM-SB would probably be the one, but I still have rack space, which allows me to keep them all, for now.
sleigh likes this post
Brian

Congrats on the new Guitar. Sounds like it was worth the wait.

Excellent review. I really like the look. I also like how the ‚newer‘ TC tops look, much less ‚toasted‘ then some earlier models I believe.

The hand writen labels are a nice touch I think.

Cheers
Mitch
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
"This OM has more low end growl than either my E40OM or E20OM-SB (both 5yo), and the body rumbles when I play it."

It will be interesting to hear from other E20 OM-MR-TC  owners, to see if this is the norm.

It is truly a beautiful guitar, and a nice addition to your collection, Brian!

Rod
Thanks, Mitch and Rod.  Agreed on the TC not being over-toasted, and I'll be curious to hear from other E20OM-MR-TC owners.
(12-18-2022, 08:09 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Thanks, Mitch and Rod.  Agreed on the TC not being over-toasted, and I'll be curious to hear from other E20OM-MR-TC owners.

I am one of those other OM MR TC owners. I received mine on Wednesday but was out of town Thursday and Friday. To be completely honest the jury is definitely still out for me. For fit, finish and general quality - beautiful guitar. Comfortable neck - not too big, not too small. Nut is as spec'd 1.75". It is lighter than my E40OM. I noticed the back bracing is thinner, Nitro finish on the E40 vs True Tone (?) on the MR and the neck is not as full as my E40. It doesn't break up if you jump on it a little, although I have not done that except once. Very distinct string separation on chords. Easy to coax tone out of it with a light touch. Seems much more balanced than other RW OMs I have tried. It doesn't seem to have that typical scoop with an emphasis on the trebles or base. Unlike PV's - I would not say this one has a low end growl. It strikes me as a kind of a cross between rosewood and mahogany - mahogany balance with some rosewood overtones. I am learning what a "dry" tone is. This doesn't seem to have anywhere near the overtones of my E40 which is incredibly lush/rich. I am not sure what I was expecting, but the two are tonally distinct from each other. I had originally decided to send it back but LAG will be closed from 12/21-1/2, so I would need to wait until after the first to ship it. Ted had agree to let me try some different strings. At first I wasn't going to, but I decided to try two different kinds. First set are John Pearse New Medium PB (13 17 24 32 42 55). I am also going to try a set of D'Addario NBs or Martin Retros. Something tells me this guitar would shine with nickel strings. We will see. I don't want to steal anymore of PV's thunder. I will start a NGD post once the string experiment is concluded.

Bottom line - fantastically built guitars with materials that should cost 2-3 times as much. Whether the tone is right for me, I honestly don't know.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes