NGD -- Eastman T58v
I was fortunate recently to stumble on a fantastic deal for a T58. Here she is!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=20]

I own two other Eastman guitars (a T186mx and a T486-bk). One of the big attractions for me with these guitars is the neck -- which I love for their slightly greater width at the nut. But the T58 neck is slightly thinner than the others so I was a bit concerned buying it without the chance to try it first. But once I received and played the guitar it was instantly familiar. The feel of the neck is classic Eastman (i.e. great).

The T58 stands alone in the Eastman lineup, I think, and was inspired by the Gretsch 6120. The TV Jones pickups are amazing -- powerful, clear and with a unique voice unlike Humbuckers or P90s. If you are looking for a Stray Cats / Rockabilly sound the T58 is an absolute bulls-eye. This thing drips 50's rock'n'roll. I think it improves on the Gretsch design by keeping the vintage, understated Eastman look (IMO Gretsch guitars can be gaudy). Eastman also eliminated the complicated controls. The guitar is gorgeous to look at and dead simple to operate. 

I have a somewhat light touch usually but find that with a little overdrive the T58 invites aggressive playing. It is so authentic sounding you can't resist learning a few Rockabilly licks. What more can you ask of a new instrument if it propels you down new corridors?

Anyway, three weeks in and I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase. Another Eastman winner.
Garcon
"This thing drips 50's rock'n'roll."

What a great guitar. And so true. I can almost hear a swinging rockabilly song coming out of that photo.

I love that Eastman nails so many eras of classic guitars: pre-war acoustics, 50's archtops, jazz/rock thin lines, and now they're going after the Les Paul. But yet, none of them are knock-offs... they put their own spin on each of them.
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Garcon - looks great!! Curious, did you purchase brand new, or used? I'd love to own an electric guitar with a Bigsby, but I haven't checked that box yet in my collection. Are those pickups FilterTrons?
(12-20-2017, 10:41 PM)Meathead Wrote: Garcon - looks great!!  Curious, did you purchase brand new, or used?  I'd love to own an electric guitar with a Bigsby, but I haven't checked that box yet in my collection.  Are those pickups FilterTrons?

This is a used T58/v although it is impossible to tell (it is a 2017 model year). It is the first one I have seen appear on the used market and I have been tracking these (and the T64) pretty closely for months. 

The pickups are indeed TV Jones Filtertron and really wonderful - top flight. 

I have played several Gretsch guitars when opportunities come up and can report the T58 is very definitely equivalent to the top line Gretsch models (like the 6120). I'm commenting on fit, finish, sound and play-ability. It is superior to their mid-range 5xxx series which exhibit a somewhat (though not totally) cheap feel. In addition, the mid-range Gretsch pickups are noticeably inferior - not that they sound bad - but these TV Jones simply outclass them in the same way the Eastman craftsmanship does on the guitar itself. 

The T58 is also lighter than every Gretsch I have tried (admittedly a small sampling of about 6 guitars). 

Obviously, the above are my opinion -- but check out Gretsch forums and you will see mostly complimentary posts. It stands to reason that those who love that classic Gretsch sound and 50's rock vibe would see this as a great instrument, worthy of consideration. There are probably lots of folks who can only afford the mid-range Gretsch and, in my mind, they would do well to consider the Eastman.

(12-20-2017, 10:22 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: "This thing drips 50's rock'n'roll."

What a great guitar.  And so true.  I can almost hear a swinging rockabilly song coming out of that photo.

I love that Eastman nails so many eras of classic guitars: pre-war acoustics, 50's archtops, jazz/rock thin lines, and now they're going after the Les Paul.  But yet, none of them are knock-offs... they put their own spin on each of them.

A great observation on your part, Pura. 

Eastman captures so well the essence of these iconic instruments but still keeps something of Eastman in the appearance and feel. Anyone who thinks Asian builders only make cheap knockoffs should try an Eastman and see if that attitude isn't shattered to pieces.
Garcon
HNGD! Sound clip? :-)
Regards,

Gary
(12-21-2017, 09:43 AM)gnappi Wrote: HNGD! Sound clip? :-)

Haven't recorded anything with this guitar yet but I'll work on something. I tried posting a sound clip of my T186 when I first joined and never did get it to work for anyone not on gmail.. bizarre.
Garcon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another T58V Owner LittleRuss 14 3,697 10-24-2019, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Zeiss
  Ngd t58v BigRich 10 3,337 08-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Meathead