NGD E2D
Well, I finally cracked open the E2D today. It has a really nice dark top, photos don't really do it justice. Not sure why the photos came out sideways, it was right side up on my phone.
Some really nice dark streaks throughout it too.
Sides really pop, and the back looks good too. I think this rosette looks incredible. I know it gets mixed reviews, but I love it. I may end up swapping out the tuners for some cream or snakewood buttons at some point. The rosette has some cream colored squares or diamonds, so I think the creme color would look good.

Overall, fit and finish seem about perfect. There is a little wood splinter near the truss rod opening. Real small, but the little piece of wood is pulling away. Hopefully that won't be an issue. I wouldn't think so right?

So far, it sounds really good! I'm not necessarily blown away by the tone just yet, but it's a brand new guitar and has brand new strings (EJ16s). I don't think it realizes it's a guitar yet. And I never think a guitar sounds its best with brand new strinfs. I think it'll soon sound even better. Still sounds really good. I played it in both standard and DADGAD. Sounds great in both tunings, but really sounds phenomenal in DADGAD. I compared it to my E8OM-TC. From a tone standpoint, the E2D is louder, and seems to have more projection and presence. I'm not sure if that's because of the larger body on the E2, the fact that it's a standard scale compared to the short scale on the E8, or the fact that my E8OM-TC has old strings. Or all of the above.

It's funny how different a guitar sounds once you play another one next to it. I still love my E8OM-TC, but it now sounds a bit tubby or not as full/boxy when I play it next to my E2D. No slight on the E8OM-TC, and I'm not saying the E2D is better. They're just totally different animals, which is what I wanted!

I think I'll swap out these EJ16s for some DR Rares soon.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm excited to see how the tone develops over the next few months!

Also, the soft case is much nicer than I expected. I bought this from The Acoustic Shoppe, so shout out to them. I also bought my E8OM-TC from them.
Pura Vida, TomC, Victor Vector, sleigh, Shishigashira like this post

Attached Files

2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Congrats on the new E2D!  Totally different beast for all of the reasons you mention: body size, tonewoods, scale length, and even the strings... plus, it has the open pore finish, which seems to provide more "in your face" experience (not better or worse, but certainly different than the nitro/poly pore-filled gloss finishes).  Enjoy every note!
SasquatchLife likes this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Beauty! Congrats and welcome to all the glorious tones of  the Dreadnaught world! May you play it for years in happiness and good health Smile
Pura Vida and SasquatchLife like this post
"So many guitars.....so little time" 

2010 Eastman E8D
2011 Eastman MD315
2018 Cordoba C12 Luthier Series
2023 Gretsch Jim Dandy (Gin Rickey)
2007 PRS Custom SE
2007 Fender MIM (Pre-Player) Strat 
2013 Gibson Studio Goldtop
2014 Epiphone Joe Bonamasa Sig LP
Marshall DSL C 40 
Marshall JMD 50

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJagXI...jWqhuN7XeA   https://audiomack.com/victor-vector-1   https://soundcloud.com/shortymack    
Appreciate it Pura and Victor. I just played it for about 45 min before bed, and I'm liking it more and more. I think I always get a little in my head with new guitars in terms of tone, and overthink it. I'm really enjoying the tone of this one. I think once the new strings mellow out some it's going to sound phenomenal. Probably will still replace with the DR Rares soon. This guitar is so clear and responsive. It's a phenomenal fingerstyle guitar, but handles a pick just as well. Super loud guitar too. Maybe I just forgot how loud dreads were lol. I do think the open pore contributes a lot to that "in your face" sound Pura mentioned.

For under $600, I feel like I stole from Eastman haha.
Shishigashira, Pura Vida, Victor Vector, Aahzz like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Congratulations on the new E2D. Glad you are enjoying the big sound it’s producing.

Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Congrats! That's a good-looking guitar.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
Congratulations on the E2D!

I agree with you on the rosette.  I know that visuals are very subjective, but I was actually surprised that people disliked the appearance of the E2D rosette! Neutral I could understand.   Smile

Enjoy
I've gotta say, this E2D has really exceeded my expectations. It's a phenomenal guitar! I can't get over how responsive it is. It's incredible.

It also smells really good.
Guzzi Fan, Pura Vida, Treenewt, DonO like this post
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2023 Eastman E2D
Congrats!  They are seriously fantastic guitars.  I continually marvel at the quality vs the cost.  It's astounding.  I hear you on the responsiveness.  I ab'd mine with a Lowden O, and it hung right there with it.  Just a wonderful instrument all around.
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool