NGD: AC622CE
A few weeks ago, I purchased this guitar from Dave's Guitars.  I've been eyeing up this model since Eastman redesigned it a couple years ago.  They added an arm bevel, second sound hole, and abalone headstock and fingerboard appointments.  For this year, they switched the top from Engelmann to Euro Spruce and replaced the dovetail joint with a bolt-on neck (likely influenced by their Bourgeois collaboration).  I liked this Maple version the best with the natural top and Maple body and matching inlays.

I made arrangements to ship the guitar directly to my mom's house, as I was traveling across country the following weekend.  It was a bittersweet trip (seeing my grandmother for the last time), but it would provide me with an opportunity to play guitar for several relatives for the first time.  But as my travel neared, the UPS tracking continued to read "Label Created" with no updates.  After several emails, on Friday (hours before my flight), Dave's found my guitar in their store.  It was never picked up.  They apologized and realizing the time sensitivity, they issued a new shipping label and sent it overnight with Saturday delivery, so it would be waiting for me the next morning.  I am so thankful for Dave's taking this extra step to correct an honest mistake, even though it probably cost them their entire profit on the transaction.  I will not hesitate to buy from them again and again!

Ok, let's talk about the guitar!  This guitar is gorgeous.  The Euro Spruce top is uniform, narrow, straight grain and super silky.  The Ebony is jet black with beautiful Maple leaf inlays that match the abalone rosette.  The Maple body is dyed a orange-brown with flame Maple binding, and the gold Gotoh tuners match well to the overall design.

The neck is a medium carve and incredibly comfortable.  It was set up well, and although I normally can't stand coated strings, I haven't minded the D'Add XT, so I haven't really peeked inside beyond the two sound holes.  From what I can see, everything looks super clean and in line with Eastman's constantly great build quality from the last 5-6 years.

The sound surprised me in several ways.  First, the guitar is very balanced and clear, which I'd expect with a Maple body, but the low end is stronger than I was anticipating.  This was very good news b/c I was afraid that the Maple would be too bright or perhaps sound thin, but this isn't the case.  Second, the guitar is really responsive.  It resonates all over and has a really lively feel for a brand new guitar (and maybe I subconsciously thought the bolt-on neck would take away from this, but it 100% does not).

Also, I'm having far less adjusting to this guitar than I did with my AC630-BD (Maple Jumbo).  Perhaps the change from Engelmann to Euro Spruce is a factor, or maybe I'm just more used to playing a Maple body now.  This guitar is made to be strummed, but it does well with my limited fingerstyle and flat picking.  It handles everything up and down the neck equally, and the second sound hole is helpful.  I need to play with it more, as well as the arm bevel, to see how much of a benefit they provide, but they may very well add to the resonance in this guitar.

It comes with a LR Baggs Element EAS VTC pickup, but I haven't plugged it in, yet.  I just got home from my trip last night, so I took some photos today.  Once I decide to change the strings, I'll take a closer look inside at the bracing and bolt-on neck behind the pickup battery pack.

Again, my sincere thanks to Dave's Guitar for the purchase, great setup, and taking the extra steps to deliver my guitar in time for my family visit.  I haven't owned a GA body size before, and I wasn't sure how I'd like it, but this guitar has exceeded my expectations in nearly every way.

Obligatory NGD photos:

[Image: df3N1zf.jpg]

[Image: roBt7JJ.jpg]

[Image: neysiZ8.jpg]

[Image: eQuvUQY.jpg]

[Image: d1hzzMp.jpg]

[Image: 3FNjEH1.jpg]

[Image: i6BrEYQ.jpg]

[Image: bKGKhfC.jpg]
Mitch, maxoom, Winfielder, TomC, DonJmmn, sleigh, Oldjock, vashondan, Hanns like this post
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Congrats Brian, that Guitar looks stunning!

the Maple back WOW. havent owned a GA nor a Maple B&S Guitar. but played a slope with Maple back a few months ago in a store, not sure anymore what brand, but was surprised myself that I liked it a lot. As you mentionned, enough bottom end, very balanced. it did strumm rather nicely.

I'd like Eastman to do a GA w/o cutaway. I have seen some in the past, but it looks like that these were old models and discounted. Always wondered why there isn't more GA bodies w/o a cutaway. Any brand. 

anyway, that Guitar looks great, the inlays are awesome. Glad the shipping worked out and you like it a lot. Enjoy that GA and let us know after some time how it comes up against your other Eastman, body size and tone  Tongue

sorry about your Grandmother.
cheers 
Mitch
„I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things“ Tom Waits
Gorgeous Guitar!!! Congrats. I would love to have that guitar but, out of my price range. Enjoy!!!
Eastman E1SS                                       Guild D40E
Eastman AC322ce                                  Guild D20E
                                                            Guild D2512 12 string
Eastman  E1D-CLA  (Split Bridge Sad )      G&L ASAT Special Tribute                            
Eastman E2D-BK   (Lifting Bridge  Angry )         
Beautiful!
Eastman E6D-TC (alpine)
Martin 000-18
Seagull Entourage
Republic RP-1
I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother, Brian.

Beautiful guitar! I will be interested to hear more about the two sound hole design.

Enjoy!

Rod
Thanks, all.  Last night, I played it alongside my AC630-BD, E40D, and E6D-TC (Alpine), and it held up quite well.  Obviously, the Rosewood and Mahogany dreads are warmer, and all three have more bottom end.  But it's definitely unique and holds up well vs. these big body guitars.

Mitch, Taylor's GA w/ cutaway and built-in electronics has been incredibly successful, so Eastman is following this same path.

I appreciate the kind words about my grandmother.  She's 95yo and nearing the end, so it was good to get back to see her this last time.
Brian, so sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I'm glad you were able to spend that time with her, though.  This is a worthy addition to your collection, and no doubt, will have a special place therein.
Pura Vida likes this post
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool 

Thank you, Matt.  I'm tempted to change strings to peek inside and see if it sounds even better with one of my go-to strings.
Congratulations!

I have the last 622 without the hardware neck (dovetail). It feels quite a bit lighter than the hardware neck. But the hardware neck has distinct advantages down the road.

I have the same thoughts as you, I was expecting bright and thin, but it’s surprisingly warm and with good deep bass (though the bass isn’t as weighty as a rosewood guitar).

It may be my desert island guitar ... I’ve been playing the most out of the collection.
Pura Vida likes this post
2021 Eastman AC622CE
2020 Eastman E40OM
2020 Eastman AC308CE (Limited Edition)
2020 Martin HD-28
2021 Eastman PCH3-GACE
2004 Gibson Les Paul Studio, wine red
1999 Taylor 714 custom, Cedar/Brazilian Rosewood
(05-16-2022, 08:13 PM)Pura Vida Wrote: Thank you, Matt.  I'm tempted to change strings to peek inside and see if it sounds even better with one of my go-to strings.

I'll wager you give into that temptation sooner rather than later ;-)
Treenewt,

2018 Larrivee OM-03
2020 Eastman E8OM-TC
2019 Eastman E2D-CD

The Wading Pool