Kent Armstrong Humbuckers
Hi there. I bought a t386 with the stock Kent Armstrong HPAN 1 Pickups. Does anyone have some information about the pickups? Magnet type, resistance etc.
Its pretty hard to find something about them. Does anyone maybe changed the magnets on them? I am thinking about swaping them. Not the biggest fan of the sound. Pretty harsh on the bridge and muddy on the neck for my taste..
I've never been successful finding out more about Kent Armstrong's "mass produced" pickups.  My guess is they are made in Korea but I have no proof of this.

I have purchased numerous hand wound pickups from Kent Armstrong, made in the US.  I do love the tone and have installed them on several guitars.  Neck pickup has a very focused, dark tone that I think is really great for jazz.

Here's an example of the pickup I've purchased and installed on several guitars:

https://stores.soundislandmusic.com/arms...-pole-paf/

Ironically, when I had a question about the wiring, I received a nice e-mail from Kent himself.  Not sure why they don't include more details on the Kent Armstrong website...but it is what it is.

One last comment.  I've always found Seymour Duncan pickups a great and affordable option.  If you don't find something from Kent Armstrong, maybe try Seymour Duncan.

Good luck and hope you find an answer to your questions.
AlanSam likes this post
I believe this pick up is also known as the Kent Armstrong Vintage Series 6 Shooter PAF style Humbucker pick up.  I think I read somewhere that it was wound to around 8.5, but I am not sure about that now.  They are not a bad pick up for an archtop, as they are not overwhelmed by the harmonics and over tones produced by the archtop body.

I do know you can read about it on the Kent Armstrong website.  In fact I just found it - my memory wasn't far off.

Here are the Specifications for it:
  • Magnet type = ALNICO V
  • D.C.resistance = 8.8K
  • Inductance (Henrys) = 4.63
  • Magnet dimensions = 58mm long X 3mm thick X 12.5mm wide
  • This pickup is sold in other countries using part # HPAC-1
  • Pickup dimensions = 2 ¾ in. long X 1 ½ in. wide.
  • Lead Type = 4 conductor
  • Electrical measurements taken at 78 degrees Fahrenheit
There are several versions, HPAG, HPAC and HPAN representing Gold, Chrome and Nickel covers.

Hope that helps.
AlanSam likes this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 810ce and a New Armstrong Hand-Wound chwillie 5 1,590 05-03-2022, 10:57 AM
Last Post: chwillie
  New Kent Armstrong P/U Installation on my AR603CE-15 Wildfield 3 3,623 01-22-2019, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Wildfield