Incoming AR804
Photo 
I haven't been active here but I have had several Eastman instruments come to my life in the last several years. They've all been excellent. So, I've always loved the old Gibson oval hole archtops but they're either beat to death or out of my price range (or both) Anyhoo, I did a google search on Easter Sunday and this beauty popped up. I did not hesitate and it will be in my hands next week. I have zero jazz chops but that's OK. I'll play my fingerstyle blues with it and maybe try to learn some easy jazz progressions. Regardless, I was able to buy it and that has not always been the case so why not? I had to delay shipment because of my traveling but it should arrive a week from today. I'll post my own pics when I get it but the dealer pics are much better than anything I'll get with my cell phone.
sleigh and Oldjock like this post

Attached Files

An amazing looking guitar Russ! Any idea of year?
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Photo 
(04-05-2024, 09:34 AM)AlanSam Wrote: An amazing looking guitar Russ! Any idea of year?

I'm not well versed in dating Eastman instruments but the serial number is L 2000379. I'm betting someone here can date it for me? Here is a shot of the back.

Attached Files

Russ - re your serial number of 'L 2000379', this might help (or maybe not LOL):-

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread-Serial-Numbers

don't know what the 'L' means - anyone?
Alan
(04-06-2024, 04:47 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Russ - re your serial number of 'L 2000379', this might help (or maybe not LOL):-

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread-Serial-Numbers

don't know what the 'L' means - anyone?

Yes, the "L" prefix seems odd from what little I know about Eastman serial numbers. Hoping someone here will know more. I'll probably contact Eastman when I get home from my eclipse journey. Can't wait to get this in my grubby hands!
Russ - do give us an assessment of your new archtop (incl. more pics if you are up for it), and please keep us informed about your Eastman enquiry. For the record I've seen the 'L' prefix once before on an Eastman dread advertised on Ebay.
Alan
(04-07-2024, 09:18 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Russ - do give us an assessment of your new archtop (incl. more pics if you are up for it), and please keep us informed about your Eastman enquiry. For the record I've seen the 'L' prefix once before on an Eastman dread advertised on Ebay.

It is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll report after I've had some time with it. I have the dealer photos downloaded but I'll take a few of my own when I get time.
AlanSam likes this post
(04-09-2024, 02:22 PM)LittleRuss Wrote:
(04-07-2024, 09:18 AM)AlanSam Wrote: Russ - do give us an assessment of your new archtop (incl. more pics if you are up for it), and please keep us informed about your Eastman enquiry. For the record I've seen the 'L' prefix once before on an Eastman dread advertised on Ebay.

It is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll report after I've had some time with it. I have the dealer photos downloaded but I'll take a few of my own when I get time.

I've had just a day to play around with it and as expected it's very, very nice. It had nickel strings on it and I swapped those for some D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze that I prefer on my flat tops. That seemed to warm up the tone a bit. The only complaint I have is the Gotoh tuners are not great. I may change those at some point. I included a pics of the volume/tone controls of the Baggs HiFi system. I'm curious how many of these pickups have been installed on arch top guitars? I know it's designed for flat tops and since arch tops don't have bridge plates I have to wonder if there's a better option. Not much of a concern though since I have no need to plug in anyhow. 
AlanSam likes this post

Attached Files