Gibson vs. Eastman
I thought as an introduction, I'd try to do an objective comparison between my 335 and t59/v. Might be a touchy subject, but there is no clear winner in my mind, but perhaps my observations will help some.

I've owned 6 Gibson ES guitars over decades of playing, but this time I bought Eastman. Everything I have read and seen prompted me to abandon Gibson this time. So that says something. I'm going to limit this review to my current 2019 ES 335 plaintop with P-90's and my new t59/v

So, this is far from the most expensive 335. I have the sunburst, and it shows some grain, which is nice, but nothing like the flame on the t59. My 335 is very much like the original '58 in that it has an unbound neck and headstock and 50's contour neck, though not as large as a real or reissue '58. It is thicker and a little more narrow than the t59v. So, for appointments, Eastman is the clear winner. I would have to pay double to get a Gibson with the appointments on the t59. The Gibson also has just a dot neck, rosewood fretboard and decal on the headstock. But my very plain 335 was only $300 more than the t59v. So maybe it depends on whether you like plain or fancy. However, that ebony fretboard, low action and wider neck on the Eastman are fantastic. This guitar is so easy to play. So playability goes to Eastman. And if you prefer the snazzier appointments of the multiple bindings and MOP inlays and that fantastic hand-rubbed, aged finish, obviously Eastman is the clear winner, especially for the money.

Eastman case is much nicer than the standard Gibby brown case. It's just a thing of beauty.

I love the varnish finish and the gentle aging of the Eastman, which I think is done very tastefully. Also the aged hardware. To get that kind of finish on a Gibson, I think I'd have to at least triple the price of the Eastman, if not more, so if you're a fan of that, then Eastman is a steal.

But...there are two areas in which Gibson comes out on top. The Grover butter bean tuners are better than the tuners on the Eastman. The Grovers are smooooth and consistent. On the Eastman I've got one with a bit of slop in it and one that is tighter feeling than all the others. And the fret ends of the Gibson are much nicer. Perfectly finished. On the Eastman, I actually caught my high E string under the 3rd fret end once when putting the guitar in it's case. I've discovered I can do it on some other frets as well, so this is an area in which Eastman could definitely do better, although in daily playing, it's not an issue.

As for electronics, it's not a fair comparison because I have P90's in the Gibson and SD Antiquities in the Eastman, but I can say that these SD pups are beautiful sounding. Airy, great definition, sustain...I'd be hard pressed to think of Gibson humbuckers that sound as good, though I do have a fondness for the Burstbuckers that were in my '63 reissue. As an aside, the P90's in the Gibson are great. I believe the wiring and pots are probably comparable in each guitar.

I would say that overall fit and finish on both guitars is very good, except the couple of small issues on the Eastman. But the Eastman probably has the edge in playability and certainly on appointments and the antiqued varnish really does it for me.

In the end, I'm keeping both the 335 and t59v. Both great guitars with different sounds (and I have an older ES 135 with a Bigsby I'll never sell). But I probably won't buy any more Gibsons. I AM considering an SB59v, and since my son has all but stolen my Martin, it might be time for a new acoustic...

Anyway, that's it for me. Hope some found this of interest.
eastmanschool, Lukew, Amorica, Pura Vida, aant, sleigh, Jeff_G like this post
Welcome Blueshurler - I enjoyed your comparison of the two guitars. Surprised the frets on your T59/v are a bit lacking - this is an area of build which the vast majority of Eastman owners comment positively on. Hand made guitars will maybe be vary a little - but poor QC is never acceptable. Pics of both guitars in the A/B comparison would be good if possible! p.s. experience tells me good honest reviews of guitars of any brand including Eastman is fine on this site - it's a forum not a shrine.
Blueshurler, sleigh, Lukew like this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Welcome. You know what most who own and know both brands, mainly that appointments on a Gibson are pricey. 

What you may mar also know is the variability in Gibson versus the relative consistency in Eastmans. Gibson has some goals to meet on that front. Some say Gibson's are variable due to the large numbers they produce, I say nonsense. Ibanez has no such issue with variability and they make a potload of gits. 

The thing is, far too many players hear with their eyes, and brand loyalty / snobbery is very real. Here's a pic of two of mine, if they were both $700 and the price would NEVER go up, which would the vast majority of players pick? 

[Image: es-335-T-486.jpg]
Lukew, aant, Amorica like this post
Regards,

Gary
I craved, looked for, and played probably 20 Gibson 335s.  A couple were magnificent, with magnificent prices.  A few were really good.  Most were average and some were duds/uninspiring.  I bought none of them, despite having the money to buy them.  Walked into a store that had a T486 and was just blown away.  I'm not kidding when I say I sat the thing down, looked at it, and thought, "that's just not possible."  sIt was as good as the best Gibson I had played, which was actually an early 70s model (in walnut finish).  And I would have bought the thing at the time, but wasn't wild about the color.

So I've played many Gibsons, and only a few Eastmans.  And only a few of the Gibsons spoke to me, and all of the Eastmans did.  The ratio just seemed to be better on the Eastmans, so that's what I bought.

B
Pura Vida likes this post
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
My experience does not mean Gibson only makes crummy guitars just because the only Gibson I have ever owned, a new ES335, was close to the worst guitar I have ever owned.  Yes, it was the most expensive guitar I had ever purchased.

My Eastman T486 is better made, Far superior fit and finish, and something the ES335 would never do, the Eastman  stays in tune.  Even the neck and fingerboard is far superior on the Eastman. The Gibson did sound good.

Lots of folks have had wonderful success with Gibson, Just not me.
Totally agree.  I have a Gibson Midtown Custom that is awesome.  To me, that guitar is much more like a Les Paul though.  Hot pickups, etc.  The Eastman covers a lot of that ground too.  I don't have any plans to sell the Midtown, it plays really well.  But I'd sell it before the Eastman.
Eastman Flame Red T486, Eastman Amber SB59/V, Gibson Tobacco Burst Midtown Custom, Fender Magnificent 7 Tele, Fender Buttercream Roadhouse Strat, Epiphone Cherryburst ES339 Pro w/ P90s, Nickerson Brazilian/Adi FC3, Nickerson Cocobolo/Redwood FC3
Blueshurler thank you for the great right up !
I've had two 335's and sold them because of my Eastman 886 . I did install 57's and a Gibson wiring harness . The Eastman Mable neck I think gave it a snap the Gibson's didn't have . My one 335 had 57's and I didn't like them all that much in it . I wish I hadn't sold it before I installed 57's in the Eastman to compare . My Eastman was under $1,000. Brand New and even after changing out the guts it's still less then half what my cheapest 335 was . The thing is it's overall quality is equal to the Gibson's , but the fretwork did need just a little love also . Your right it's the one thing Eastman needs a little more attention to . Luckily they are using great fret wire and we can clean it up .
The A2, unpotted Duncan Antiquities are really tough to beat.