Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Archtop
Anyone played one of these catchily named Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Archtop jazz boxes? Don't know what to make of it (interesting description if you read it). 'solid formed' top and back means what? Probably means the wood is steamed and then pressed with great force. I have no problem with this in principle but I wonder how the sound compares with the probably far more expensive carved tops. Interesting guitar though. Any views? For the money might be better off with a top of the line Eastman. Here's the link :-
https://www.maksguitars.co.uk/products/g...8983&_ss=r
sleigh likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Interesting... never heard of that technique.  I guess the only way to know would be to A/B against one of their other high end models.
 The 17" Venetian Cutaway represents simple elegance in both thought and design. It all starts with an Eco-Friendly proprietary construction process that requires only 1/3 of the wood of conventional carved top design for its top and back and 1/2 the wood for its neck.
 Because the Solid-Formed guitar's top and back are each formed from two book-matched pieces of solid wood, the grain is redirected of severed, unlike traditional carving. Gibson Custom achieves this break through in Arch-top design via a proprietary process that's been in development for several years. As a result, the Solid Formed tone is richer and more pronounced.
AlanSam likes this post
Thanks for the input Tim. Being a cynic I think the driver must be the relatively cheap production, certainly compared to carved arched tops and backs. But being cheaper to produce isn't bad in itself if it means a cheaper finished product. In essence it mightn't be different to the time honoured method of producing arched laminated tops - using a powerful industrial press. A strong arch construction will require less wood for struts and braces. But the sound is the thing, and as Tim says an A/B test is the acid test - both unplugged and plugged-in would be good. Failing this, a decent written critique. There are quite a few demos - but an absence of in depth reviews. I don't believe these guitars are still produced - curious as to why.
Alan
As Alan implies, the true test of whether or not this is a 'good thing' is the sound. Period. I'd have to hear one before I could have a valid opinion. But this being a Gibson, I'm skeptical.
AlanSam likes this post
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I had a good look and the only reviews I've found that aren't essentially sales spiels are here :-    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-a...htops.html
sleigh likes this post
Alan