Frets
I posted this in chatter and didn't see any response. Since it's only dealing with electric guitars I thought maybe this would be a better place .... (I was playing my 2019 t386 last-night and decided to go a little lower with the action . It has some high frets to 12th and needs the drop-off from 12 up addressed . I have a 146 and a 59 that both needed the frets lightly dressed . These 3 guitar's were purchased new . My two acoustic Eastman's are fine . My er3 was purchased used and needed alot of work , electrical, finish , I think I just polished the frets but can't remember .
I don't mind doing the work and enjoy the quirks of trully handmade guitars. But it seems Eastman is missing a important part of the final set up , at least on my 3 new one's . I did see someone comment the same on another site . Wondering if anyone here has experience this?)
PM Find Like Edit Delete Reply Quote Report
OK I can't answer your question directly but the fretwork on my two Eastmans has issues. One is a 2009 AR604CE archtop, the other one a 2016 T386 like yours. Once, a luthier said to me he thought Eastmans built fine guitars, but fretwork wasn't their strong suit. The issues I'm referring to are gaps between the fretboard and the bottom of several fret crowns - on both guitars, in the middle section of the frets, enough space for a sheet of paper. It's most obvious on the archtop, with notes in certains areas sustaining much longer. The neck geometry, and the setup are perfect. I made contact with another luthier by phone, asking if such gaps were normal and he said they weren't. I'm going to bring that guitar to him, sooner or later. I looked up Mr. Benedetto's archtop book in Google books, and Benedetto also says there should be zero gap between the bottom of the crown and the fretboard. My T386 rings like a bell in some neck areas and is more ordinary in other areas. Some frets display the same issue, arching in the middle section with enough of a gap for a sheet of paper. Same issue, on two guitars made 7 years apart. Granted, I'm very picky about that sort of thing.
So both guitars, actually, are due for a visit to the repairman. I like them enough that I don't care about the cost, am a card-carrying Eastman fan and will continue buying Eastmans, but maybe that's one area they could improve?
I'm like you and looking past the fret issues , still it's a thorn with Eastman it seems .
Hopefully pressing the bad frets and re-crowning and leveling fix's them right up .
It really says the Eastman's have something special that we are willing to except and repair the guitar's .
I think I'd rather live with slightly high action than take a git to a local "tech" who may have been flipping burgers before his more recent calling to destroy them. Twice (different stores) I did that, and twice they screwed them up. So. Flo is a desert of qualified luthiers and I'll leave the neck diddling for the next owner. 

Regarding Eastman gits... I haven't found the frets to need any work, but then again I've only bought used so in this perspective if the frets HAD needed dressing, the PO had it done AND took the risk! I had the option to send it back if it were messed up :-) Yet another good reason (beside purchase price) to buy used. 

Should Eastman up their game? Maybe, but I've known of MANY up level brand gits that needed fret work out of the box and they had no problem making it to the top of the heap.

The issue for lesser known brands (IMO) is to do better in every respect than the top brands. Toyota, Datsun (Nissan), Mazda (as well as many appliance OEM makers) all did it and they are now considered top brands and they never sacrificed quality to get there.

Personally if I were in charge of quality control at Eastman (I did this for IBM in Asia) I'd make sure once it went in the box it would be right.  

Despite this, comments like: "I'm like you and looking past the fret issues , still it's a thorn with Eastman it seems" are not good to be slathered about the net. But, they must have a business model that's performing to their expectations and it seems to be working for them.
Regards,

Gary
Funny you say that we shouldn't comment on the net about a issue with quality ( a thorn was Eastman it seems). I understand your point if I was a exec. At Eastman .
I feel as a consumer that's purchased 3 of there guitars new and 3 used in the past year it's absolutely fair to voice my concerns for a brand that's become dear to me .
To sending them back , at a 100 to 140 a guitar doesn't seem fair for me to burden. Eastman dealer's are the little guys that can't absorb return shipping then reshipping back to me . The fact I liked the guitar's I have and my not like the replacement instrument as much is a factor also.
I just haven't seen this issue with fret work on the other guitars I've purchased new . Not true , I have two kiesel's and one needed fret work . None of the Gibson's , fenders and others have needed this .
Something interesting , I recently talked to the VP of stewmac he said he's gone to the Eastman factory. Said the amount of timber they have is unbelievable . He's very much a fan of Eastman and loves there mass produced but still handmade commitment.
I feel for you by the way . I've seen a few repair personal that should only be changing strings , tasked to work far above there current ability . Have you asked some seasoned players who they recommend in your area? Lol tell them not the cheapest , seems working musicians look for the deal alot . Asked who's the best they know.
Lol sorry for the long post Smile
An update to my earlier post. The issue was alleviated greatly by using a lighter pick, I went from a 1.5 mm D'Andrea ProPlec to a standard Heavy (0.96 mm) standard celluloid, which I actually like better overall. Comparing the tow, it became obvious some notes were sort of "choked" using the heavier ProPlec, in addition to it possibly causing some buzzing from the pickups. The issue remains to an extent on the high E string. I'm very happy with the results of the pick change though, and can live with it for now, until I have funds to spare to take it to a tech. But like Zeiss I think potential issues with frets deserve to be mentioned. As I said in my earlier post, my two Eastmans  have such issues; there shouldn't be space for a sheet of paper between bottom of fret and fretboard; says Mr Benedetto, not me. That doesn't change my appreciation of Eastman, they're one of the most interesting current guitar companies, and there'll be other Eastmans in my future.
I have three Eastman guitars, none of which have any fret issues at all.  I would be particularly disappointed if there was a gap between the fret and the fingerboard and I have seen photographs of a similar problem so it is not unheard of.

I generally don't use a pick, so that might make a difference but I still haven't noticed it when I do.  Nevertheless, I have a fairly light touch and think heavy hitters might have more of an issue 

I don't like the action super low and mine is about 5/64 on the bass side and 4/64 (1/16) on the treble side and a little relief in the neck.  

My guess it that manufacturers don't do a lot of fret levelling in the manufacturing process, instead putting the work into making a straight neck and assuming that the consistency of the of the fret wire will be good enough and for the most part it probably is.  I am sure every new guitar would benefit from a fret dress by a skilled luthier and it is probably a good idea to have a set up done.  I don't make a habit of it and mostly maintain my guitars myself but I have always impressed with how good a decent set up by a bloke who knows what he is doing is.  On the occasions that I have had a set up done, they come back like a different guitar.
AlanSam likes this post
Zeiss - when commenting on Gnappi's post you say 'Funny you say that we shouldn't comment on the net about a issue with quality ( a thorn was Eastman it seems). I understand your point if I was a exec. At Eastman .' I didn't read Gnappi's post like that. I read it as suggesting Eastman should up its QA when required - to preclude adverse comments appearing on the net. But Gnappi can argue his own corner I'm sure.
Zeiss likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
I have owned two Eastman electrics and the fret work might well be the best of any guitar I have ever owned.

Having said that, I sent back a different Eastman because the fret ends in a couple places had raised up exposing the edges and you you could almost cut yourself on them. I’m sure it never left the factory like that but what was essentially  fret sprout on the ends must have occurred as a result of the temperature and humidity changes during the overseas shipping process.
Lukew likes this post
Alan I reread the Post and agree with you ?
AlanSam likes this post