Emerald X30 with Hyvibe incoming
Great review Tim! A little disappointing it doesn’t perform as expected. I hope you end up finding one that matches your preferred tone and needs.

Don
2023 Martin D-41 
2023 Martin Custom Shop HD-28 GE
2023 Martin D-18 Authentic 1937 VTS
2021 Martin D-35
2023 Gibson J45

Thanks Tim.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was feeling conflicted overall. On one hand, I found aspects like the carbon build and the Hyvibe system appealing. Having an instant looper ready to go could lead to some enjoyable spontaneous jam sessions. But weighing the pros and cons, the tone and projection issues ultimately outweighed the positives. While still a well-constructed instrument, this particular model is not the best match for my personal preferences and playing style needs. 

Alan - I found the tone to be somewhat muffled and muted given the guitar's size. It was as if the carbon top lacked adequate resonance, or the poly finish was suppressing liveliness. Unfortunately the volume and projection failed to match my expectations - when A/B testing against my Eastman and Rainsong, the tone fell short.
Regarding Rainsong: while I prefer the tone and projection of my Rainsong overall, its chunky N2 "D" neck profile hasn't provided the comfort I seek for fingerstyle playing. So, I use my Rainsong @ church for strumming primarily. The Emerald's neck was much better - but again, the tone issue is what impacted me.

I wouldn't mind trying another Emerald in the future, and maybe it was just the particular X30 I had. If I could do it over, I probably would have tried their X20 model.

The search continues... on to other options!
AlanSam and noah like this post
Maybe another X30 will sound better. Thing is with standardized synthetic material and no complex struts and braces there wouldn't seem to be much scope for variation. But who knows.
Meathead likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Tim
Thanks again for the review. I keep thinking I should move a couple wood guitars for one nice CF. MN winters can take their toll on wood ones if you take them out. Have you ever tried a McPherson? I believe a Sable is comparable to an OM size guitar.

Tom
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

Current stable - prone to frequent changes
Hi Tom -

Yes, I've played the McPherson Sable.  My advice on that guitar would be to try before you buy, if you can.  Carbon fiber is a different beast - and each CF builder seems to have their own proprietary methods in construction, particularly around top construction, impacting tone and volume. 

I (personally) wasn't blown away by the Sable I played, although I did like the look of it.  Note that the Sable has 25.5 scale length which I typically shy from as a fingerstyle guy.  

Of all the CF guitars I've played, to my ear I would put Rainsong #1 tone wise.. but as I mentioned prior, I don't like Rainsong N2 neck however.
AlanSam and TomC like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lâg Hyvibe THV10DCE Smart Guitar Review AlanSam 2 1,283 08-30-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: sleigh
  Emerald Carbon Fibre Guitar AlanSam 5 1,966 03-01-2021, 10:42 AM
Last Post: TomC