Eastman sb59 varnish
Just tomake this a New topic..
So this is eastman sb59 varnish that im going to planing to buy.. So let s hear you varnish sb59 owners.. What do you think? Pay attention to aging and this ebony fretboard.. Just like to know does yours have this striky ebony that isnt pure plack? Here a video.. Pay attention to ebony board.. I think that this grain striky discolour is kind a cool.. Cheers!
https://youtube.com/shorts/PVl1OFws9_Y?feature=share
Dusko likes this post

Attached Files

I own both a 2019 SB59/V and an 2021 T59/v and both ebony fretboards are very black.  Pitch black.
I adore both guitars and i'd say that each is the best Les Paul or ES-335 type guitar that i've ever played.
The Lollar Imperial and the SD Antiquity pickups are worth the price bump in itself, however I LOVE that finish.
It's different on the T59/v it creates a very glass-like feel to the wood and on the SB59/v it seems like the varnish sinks into the wood and the feel on each is a different yet fantastic experience. I suspect that the varnish sinks into Mahogany of the Les Paul and not so much on the laminated Maple of the semi-hollow.

I wouldn't be too concern about the color of that fretboard.  I've read that ebony actually has many different "colors" and the  color doesn't mean much about the quality or authenticity of the ebony. (just my $0.02 there)
Lukew and Zeiss like this post
Yes ebony natural has these... Think in person this will look even better.. Beautiful guitars..
Like Donovan, I have the SB59/v and the T59/v.  The varnish finish is glorious.  Both my fretboards are black, without streaks, but I would be just as happy with the streaks.  It is a genuine variation of ebony.

(12-19-2021, 10:03 AM)donovantyler Wrote: I own both a 2019 SB59/V and an 2021 T59/v and both ebony fretboards are very black.  Pitch black.
I adore both guitars and i'd say that each is the best Les Paul or ES-335 type guitar that i've ever played.
The Lollar Imperial and the SD Antiquity pickups are worth the price bump in itself, however I LOVE that finish.
It's different on the T59/v it creates a very glass-like feel to the wood and on the SB59/v it seems like the varnish sinks into the wood and the feel on each is a different yet fantastic experience. I suspect that the varnish sinks into Mahogany of the Les Paul and not so much on the laminated Maple of the semi-hollow.

I wouldn't be too concern about the color of that fretboard.  I've read that ebony actually has many different "colors" and the  color doesn't mean much about the quality or authenticity of the ebony. (just my $0.02 there)

The SB59/v has a solid maple cap, so they are both maple.  There still could be differences between the two.
The 2019 may be coated with nitrocellulose on a varnish basecoat and the 2021 may be coated in truetone which has a water based varnish on top of urethane with a varnish base. Word is between December 2020 and July of 2021 Eastman stopped using nitrocellulose altogether and started to use truetone. They have been very quiet about it. A lot of their dealers appear to be unaware of the change and still list their new guitars as nitrocellulose on their websites and Reverb.