Eastman TC vs Non-TC tops
For those that have been Eastman owners for a while....How do you think the TC models compare soundwise to the same model without a TC top?
Thanks for your responses.
Martin HD28 Ambertone
Blueridge BR-180
Recording King RD-227
Eastman E10d TC
Kentucky km1500
Loar lm700
J Bovier A5 Special
Michael Kelley Dragonfly II Ltd
Ive tried the e1d v e1d special (with tc), e8d vs e8dtc, e20d vs e20dtc. I felt it was most noticable with sitka spruce, at least with the ones I tried. The biggest difference was between the 8s. The non -tc felt stiffer and muted in comparison. TC is definitely a bit warmer and a more 'pleasant' sustain. The adi top also had some noticeable differences, but I wonder if because its a e20 both guitars were higher grade models there was less of a pronounces sonic difference.

Also, I own a e6ss-tc and after about 6 months of further breaking it in, it has a tone that is deep and woody and has a lot of vintage sounds that I haven't found in other guitars. At least in my experience, the TC pays off big after some play in time.

When I buy my next Eastman I am going to prioritize it having TC. The e8tc is so good.
I own both non-TC and a TC model.  Personally:  I like them both, and don't consider my TC model (E10 OM) to be "better" in tone than my E6 OM.  It's a different tone nuance that is hard to describe.  I'm pleased with them both!  I would not necessarily prioritize a TC model in the search for my next Eastman, but would certainly be OK with it if it had it.
I'll second Tim's opinion. I've had both TC and Non-TC Eastmans and don't consider one 'better' than the other. This is especially true if you have a non-TC Adi (Red Spruce) top, as playing the instrument will eventually 'break-in' the top and it will sound excellent. In fact, the journey itself is interesting. I'd put my E10D (non-TC) up against any Adi-topped E10D, TC or non.
Best, Steve

6 string acoustics: 2018 Eastman E10D (Red Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 Eastman E6D-TC (Alpine Spruce/Mahogany); 2021 AC522CE - GB (European Spruce/Mahogany)
Electric guitar: 1964 Guild Starfire V semi-hollow electric
Acoustic Bass: Epiphone El Capitan 5 String Acoustic/Electric Fretless (Year ?)
YouTube: sleighwriter
I dunno call me old fashioned but I prefer a traditional curing over heat treating a top to excel its properties.
sleigh likes this post
"So many guitars.....so little time" 

2010 Eastman E8D
2011 Eastman MD315
2018 Cordoba C12 Luthier Series
2023 Gretsch Jim Dandy (Gin Rickey)
2007 PRS Custom SE
2007 Fender MIM (Pre-Player) Strat 
2013 Gibson Studio Goldtop
2014 Epiphone Joe Bonamasa Sig LP
Marshall DSL C 40 
Marshall JMD 50

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJagXI...jWqhuN7XeA   https://audiomack.com/victor-vector-1   https://soundcloud.com/shortymack    
I prefer the non-TC tops.  I've gone in to buy a TC-topped guitar numerous times and never take one home.
Winfielder likes this post
I don't know anything about comparisons as I only have a E10 OM I bought new in 2016, so never played or even heard one with a TC top. So where I'm at now and will most likely stay is I don't care for one with a TC top. No biggie I just don't care. I do know lots of people hear what they want to hear.

I'm retired so I play my guitars a lot, a whole lot, 6-8 hrs a day 24/7/365. 2-3 hrs per day playing the few days I'm yard working.

See a lot of folks talking about their guitars opening up. I've had my Eastman acoustic for 7 years and have played the living Hades out of it and after 60 years of playing I've yet to experience an opening up factor in a guitar. I don't hear any difference in the sound or rather can't remember it sounding any different from the day I got the guitar or any time up till now
AlanSam and steveua like this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman PCH series now with TC tops! WindmillGuitars 28 5,271 11-18-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: AlanSam