Eastman T59V Amber
I did it. I bought it. 

Unfortunately, my review I just typed disappeared into the ether so I will do it again later.

In the meantime, some pics.

Alex
aant, Pura Vida, Oldjock like this post

Attached Files

Alex, she's a beaut.. congratulations.  bert
Congrats, Alex!  Photos look great.  Looking forward to the review (again).
"It's only castles burning." -- Neil Young
Hopefully, this review will not vanish like the previous one.

My favourite store called me and told me that they had a T59V Amber in stock, having sold the previous one before I could get there.
I brought my T386RD with me as it is my favourite new guitar and it would be a good comparison. I had replaced the T386 pickups with Burstbucker 1 & 3 so they
would sound in the Seth Lover ball park.

The antique varnish finish is what initially caught my attention because I love the look and my son is a violinist (obviously his violins are finished like the T59V).
The guitar did not disappoint and it looked great ...... and felt great. It gave me the feeling that it was an old "friend" and the touch was warm rather than the cooler touch of the T386 nitro (as great as it is). The aged hardware set the whole guitar off and it seemed to beg to be played. As an owner of a vintage ES345, I love the look of the double parallelogram inlays. A look of absolute class.

The neck dimensions were very similar to the T386 and as they both had an ebony board, I felt comfortable with the playability.

Playing the T59V acoustically, it was loud and the whole body resonated with both chords and single notes. The T386 did this as well and that is why I couldn't leave the shop without it.  Playing the T59V more, I realised that I wasn't going to leave the shop without this one as well. When plugged into a Vox AC10, the notes just jumped out.

Sold. I'm taking it.

The night I picked it up, we had a band rehearsal and I got to play it most of the night, occasionally swapping to the T386. The whole body and neck resonates easily and
it feels like it becomes part of you.  The Seth Lover pickups are a great choice for this guitar but I did roll back the bridge tone to 6 to warm it slightly through my rig.
Definitely not harsh but clear and articulate. The frets are well seated and there is not one dead spot on either the T59V or the T386.

The difference sonically between the T59V and the T386 is most probably due to the finish. The T59V had an overall warmer sound with slightly more mids than the T386 which was a little mid scooped...... think more rock n roll.

The antique varnish finish had some smears due to the hand polishing of the varnish but I removed the smears with Virtuoso Cleaner and buffed it slightly. Perfect.

Looking back over what I have written, it reads more like a comparison of the two models. In a sense it is but it might be good for someone who is making a choice between the two. Be mindful that, in my opinion, the T386 needs a pickup change .... making it a T486 in reality.

Suffice to say, I absolutely love the T59V Amber finish and feel..... so it is staying with me. The T386 is staying as well. There is enough difference, although slight, for me to keep both.

A couple of upgrades were done on both including mirror top knobs, Faber ABR replacement bridge and '59 shaped long pick guard because I like the look.

I hope that this little review helps and feel free to ask me anything about these two great guitars.

Me very happy. :-)

Alex

Another gratuitous pic :-)
Pura Vida and zsears like this post

Attached Files

If I am being hyper-critical (for a change ha) the Eastman 'red' on the basis of the numerous pictures I have seen seems a little bit puny? I have a cheapo Harley Benton ES335 and the red seems to be a richer, more vibrant smack in the face red by comparison. I still absolutely love the look though, and photos don't often capture the true colour.
ultra likes this post
Alan
''Bad company done got me here …'' - Rev Gary Davis
Alex, thanks for the insightful review.  Eastman keeps doing their research for what players want, they have a knack for often hitting the target.  I agree with your plan to keep both, after some time you may decide you only need one but you'll know if that time comes. 

good job on the review, bert
ultra likes this post
Congratulations!  Beautiful guitar!  Love the finish and accents.  Really nicely done.

Your review of your new guitar is excellent!  I like the comparison between your two guitars...some great reference points.  Always great to read a review that is descriptive and informative.  Also, great that you are happy with your purchase.

I know you mentioned that you played through a Vox for the test drive, but curious to know what amp you normally use.

Congratulations again!
Beautiful guitar I like the color
ultra likes this post
(12-15-2018, 10:57 AM)Wildfield Wrote: Congratulations!  Beautiful guitar!  Love the finish and accents.  Really nicely done.

Your review of your new guitar is excellent!  I like the comparison between your two guitars...some great reference points.  Always great to read a review that is descriptive and informative.  Also, great that you are happy with your purchase.

I know you mentioned that you played through a Vox for the test drive, but curious to know what amp you normally use.

Congratulations again!

Thanks. I think I have the Eastman bug. I seem to be dreaming of the ES175 one pickup jazz box lately.

The amps I use when playing gigs are a Marshall JTM45 with 2x12 cab (Celestion G12-65s) or a Fender VibroKing (3x10s)

At home, I use a Yamaha DG80 combo or a VHT ultra combo (5 watt , 1x12)
What a beautiful guitar. It just has that look that says "pick me up and the crap out of me!". Congratulations on a wonder instrument.
E10ss/v 02/23/23
SB55DC/v 03/15/23

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastman T59V vs Collings I35LC Deluxe Bert 9 4,732 07-29-2019, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Rip VanWinkle
  Eastman t59v chefdancan 1 2,205 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Pura Vida
  NGD T59V Antique Amber beppe 7 3,006 08-19-2018, 12:29 AM
Last Post: nopicknick