Eastman T58/V
(05-04-2018, 09:49 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: For any Bay Area guitar fans, Eastman will be doing an event at Keith's store later this month.  Maybe Eastman can swing up to Watermelon Music in Davis, while they're in the area.  Smile

[Image: CqoVcI2.jpg]
Well thank goodness the Bay area is a 5 hour drive south and I don't like driving anymore if I can avoid it. Otherwise my wallet would definitely be hurting as those new Goltop's with the P90's and aged nitro are making me all 'jiggy'~~ the same feeling you'd get when going on a first date and you knew you had to have her-- no if, and's or but's about it. Plus--- dang! I've already pledged my heart and undying devotion to a new Thinline '59-V as soon as the darn party pooper Mr. Wallet allows. And then there's the E20 -SS-v. And the AC-512 or the AC 822. And the new T/64-v of course. And the........ Wink
(05-12-2018, 09:36 PM)tamerlane Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:49 AM)Pura Vida Wrote: For any Bay Area guitar fans, Eastman will be doing an event at Keith's store later this month.  Maybe Eastman can swing up to Watermelon Music in Davis, while they're in the area.  Smile

[Image: CqoVcI2.jpg]
Well thank goodness the Bay area is a 5 hour drive south and I don't like driving anymore if I can avoid it. Otherwise my wallet would definitely be hurting as those new Goltop's with the P90's and aged nitro are making me all 'jiggy'~~ the same feeling you'd get when going on a first date and you knew you had to have her-- no if, and's or but's about it. Plus--- dang! I've already pledged my heart and undying devotion to a new Thinline '59-V as soon as the darn party pooper Mr. Wallet allows. And then there's the E20 -SS-v. And the AC-512 or the AC 822. And the new T/64-v of course. And the........ Wink

Ha! I told you he would be happy to ship them. I also don’t mind a road trip once in a while if you want me to bring one to you!
Don

2018 SB59/V
2018 T58/V
2018 T486-RD
Papa Wallet is building a fairly sound proof music room, so as to be able to crank the amps a bit more. But am doing it right: double walls that are decoupled; double drywall that has the pricey (and worth it) Green Glue, etc etc. But it'll be fun. And if I were 20-30 years younger, it might take less Aleve after each day's work! So my fun money is blown for a couple months, but after that, watch out!
Don, Anderson, others in the know....

Does this vid do a fair comparison of the TV Jones vs Lollar pickups in your experience?

I really like the TV Jones based on this demo, little less something... but more something else... words just don't come sometimes.  I'm pretty interested in the T58/V, although the SB59s are also interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts.  bert

https://youtu.be/WOmaGEffshE
(05-22-2018, 06:32 AM)Bert Wrote: Don, Anderson, others in the know....

Does this vid do a fair comparison of the TV Jones vs Lollar pickups in your experience?

I really like the TV Jones based on this demo, little less something... but more something else... words just don't come sometimes.  I'm pretty interested in the T58/V, although the SB59s are also interesting.

Thanks for your thoughts.  bert

https://youtu.be/WOmaGEffshE

Hi Bert,

I have never tried Jason’s Filtertrons but I have a ton of his pickups in other guitars. They are always fabulous.

That being said, the TV Jones that come in the T58/V are excellent and there is no need to change them.

Don
Don

2018 SB59/V
2018 T58/V
2018 T486-RD
Don, thanks for your reply, just sold my Martin 000-17SM and trying to refrain.... gotta fight the urge.  I have 4 flattop guitars, all keepers.  An elec makes sense at this point.

LAGuitar describes their T58/V TV Jones as Filtertrons.

(I wouldn't know, but I do like.... copied from their site) --->

"A full-size 16” thinline in our new Antique Amber Varnish finish. Carved Spruce top, laminated back and sides. Vintage tone with superior midrange and volume. Classic Venetian cutaway, dual TV Jones Filtertrons."

btw, back when.... I used to live in Felton and Santa Cruz, was in Los Gatos many times. Shy
(05-22-2018, 02:13 PM)Bert Wrote: Don, thanks for your reply, just sold my Martin 000-17SM and trying to refrain.... gotta fight the urge.  I have 4 flattop guitars, all keepers.  An elec makes sense at this point.

LAGuitar describes their T58/V TV Jones as Filtertrons.

(I wouldn't know, but I do like.... copied from their site) --->

"A full-size 16” thinline in our new Antique Amber Varnish finish. Carved Spruce top, laminated back and sides. Vintage tone with superior midrange and volume. Classic Venetian cutaway, dual TV Jones Filtertrons."

btw, back when.... I used to live in Felton and Santa Cruz, was in Los Gatos many times. Shy

Hi Bert,

I used the term "Filtertron" to describe the style of pickup (as I believe most people do).  Jason's version of the Filtertron is called a Lollartron.  I have not tried Lollar's version.

TV Jones Classic Pickups (which are what are in the T58/V) are TV Jones' version of Filtertrons.  Obviously, I have tried these as they are in the guitar photographed in this thread.  I am *very* impressed with them.

Here is a pretty darn good guide: https://reverb.com/news/a-guide-to-filtertron-pickups

Don
Don

2018 SB59/V
2018 T58/V
2018 T486-RD
Thanks Don, big help.  I was not aware of the Filtertron history, so good to learn how these pickups evolved.  My last venture was putting a set of SRV Texas Hots on my 70' Strat, been gone for 15+ yrs, now in the catch-up mode.

I love the T58/V but since I have the AR805ce, I'm thinking hardbody Les Paul type at this point.  Need to decide between the SB59/V and maybe wait for the SB59-GB coming this summer.

Thanks again, I would probably still have my T184mx (p59s) if I had known about the Lollar pickups before I sold.  This new EGF forum is a wealth of info that was missing from the old Eastman hangout.  bert
(05-24-2018, 10:31 AM)Bert Wrote: Thanks Don, big help.  I was not aware of the Filtertron history, so good to learn how these pickups evolved.  My last venture was putting a set of SRV Texas Hots on my 70' Strat, been gone for 15+ yrs, now in the catch-up mode.

I love the T58/V but since I have the AR805ce, I'm thinking hardbody Les Paul type at this point.  Need to decide between the SB59/V and maybe wait for the SB59-GB coming this summer.

Thanks again, I would probably still have my T184mx (p59s) if I had known about the Lollar pickups before I sold.  This new EGF forum is a wealth of info that was missing from the old Eastman hangout.  bert

Hey Bert---- been busy working on my sound proof music room and playing far more so missed this part of the thread and sorry for late reply. 
 TV Jones and filtertrons are pretty much interchangeable names as I remember. It's the Gretsch sound to me. Which can be sweet as Chet Adkins or snarly as rockabilly. You'd mentioned with "four flat tops that are keepers" you're well set acoustic wise and thinking about a solid body. The SB/59-V is the best electric I've owned by far, and I can't say enough good things about it. But I've also been a "Les Paul" guy for a while. And while I love coming up with chordal things in odd keys and scales (as well as the usual's), pretty much every time I play with others as well as with the loopers at home, I play lead. It's what comes natural and what I do moderately well. And for that, the SB/59-V just can't be beat to me. It's magical. And I play far more and far more passionately and so get a little better bit by bit.

But I sure do like the looks of Don's T/58-V! And I also like the 335 styling of the T/59-V and like the P90's and looks of the T/64-V too, though I'm not a big Bigsby fan--- even if I really like their looks. And I think any of them are fine tools that will render whatever we're capable of playing into its best possible form.
Other thing with electrics though is the amp. You got to have a good amp if you want its full potential. And for most folks, a good amp equals big money. But if you do get an electric and want some recommendations on phenomenal tube amps that are exceptionally well built and affordable, let me know. I have a couple friends who build amps & are mainly retired and I got to learn a bit from them, especially what to watch out for.
Don't you live near Marietta/Atlanta? Seems like there'd be some Eastman electrics you could try out out (with a good amp!) and decide which you like best!
Ciao for now
A.L.
Thanks Anderson for you help, best wishes on your new sound room.  I made a sound room in my previous home (15yrs ago) when I was playing hardbody electric, it was well worth the effort.

I'm kinda narrowing it down now.  I don't really want to get into tube amps which might only get limited use, but I do love the vibe.  I admire lead players a bunch but I'm more into the rhythmic arpeggio, acoustic riff type stuff, with a lead here and there.

The more I think about it the more I regret selling my T184mx, probably the most perfect type elec for my acoustic vibe.  After my upcoming cataracts exorcism, hope to go after a T184,185, 186, etc.

Short sample file of my T184mx from 5yrs ago (slide & arpeggio).. duo with my PBR roundneck:

https://soundcloud.com/bertramd-1/cgb-60418