Eastman SB59 vs Gibson LP

I enjoyed this... Eastman sounds great. So does the gibby... consider the cost difference however.
Wow!  Not much of a difference for 3x the price.
Eastman seemed a touch ... brighter maybe?  I liked both of them, but really like the fit and varnish finish on the Eastman.  The SB59 is rising on the 'next must have Eastman' list for me, personally.
Thanks Tim for the link, very well done A/B.  Read one of the comments that said the Eastman is brighter because of the SD antiquities.  Wonder if they know any Skynyrd, the free bird has landed.
What I don't know about electrics is a lot. Oh the many different factors which influence tone and volume and sustain!

So, just as a listener, that LP just pops right out at you. It's the one to beat.
I now have a couple Eastman Electrics--both solid body and thinline and have played many, many Gibson Custom Shops in the last 12 months.  The Eastman electrics are simply better.    The SB59/v is not bright at all first hand.  The sound is very open with a lot of "air"--it really does sound like you are hearing the wood directly.  I'm not sure if that is the varnish or the pickups, but suspect it is both.  The SD Antiquities in the SB59/V are really magic.  The have a lot of bite when you dig in and are extremely dynamic.  Overall, that guitar has a very vintage sound.  The SB59/SB is brighter to my ears.  The /SB has SD59's in it, which I find a touch more aggressive.  I really love them both and find them very different guitars.
First off I'd be willing to bet that there's one or more pedal in line there and or an OD channel in the mix... so I don't expect to hear anything but the pedal influence on the sound.

Next the fact is that comparing two Les Paul models will often yield major differences in sound. Comparing different models of LP's will definitely change their entire sound envelope. Add a pedal in the mix and it's a different story, but then we're hearing the pedal not the git.

Now that Gibson has decided to install 490's, MHS, 57's and anything they happen to have about in a Les Paul I expect nothing from a LP anymore unless I get to play it.

That said, comparing any other brand to a Gibson is likely to be fruitless so I don't try. I play a git and let it stand or fall on its own merits. The one thing can be said for Gibson is they are easy to sell, rarely depreciate unless bought new, and if held long enough can and do provide some investment quality that other brands can only dream of.
Sad truth about Gibson, ran across this link on the Gibson forum:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gi...story.html
Brand new to forum and just saw this first. Have owned #102 SB/59-v for a couple months, and to me, it's simply incomparable for the price. A phenomenal guitar all around that easily compares to Custom shop reissues, exceeding some that I've played. I've owned many Gibson LP Standard's and SG's, and the SB59-v is simply a far superior guitar to the one's I've owned hands down. After playing one in Eugene Oregon, I sold a Corsa Little Dog to help fund the purchase as I had to have it, knowing a $6,000 to $10,000 Custom shop reissue was beyond my budget. For resale value (if not bought new) Gibson's are a great investment granted. But this is the best LP I've owned in the 45 years I've owned guitars.
(03-25-2018, 07:39 AM)Bert Wrote: Sad truth about Gibson, ran across this link on the Gibson forum:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gi...story.html

Wow, that's a really sad article, I hope it's not as bad as they make it out to be.  I'm thinking that my next guitar will be a Les Paul style. I can't really afford one right now, esp since I just got the T486, but I'm thinking about either a used LP standard, or the new Eastman SB57/n-BK which will be arriving on the scene this summer.  Maybe Gibson should regroup, and think about offering a smaller lineup in the LP category, one which is easier to understand.